modifications for weight training without all the equipment

Options
I am working on acquiring equipment for a home gym. I just got weights - 120 lbs of plates plus a bar and a pair of dumbbell handles. If I stick with weight lifting for a couple months then I am going to buy a power rack and bench. But I need to show my husband that I am going to stick with it before he will be agreeable to me spending that kind of money. For now I am doing different modifications for the equipment I have. I would love advice/opinions on my modifications to know if there is a better way or something I need to be mindful of.

Currently doing 3 sets. Still trying to find a weight that feels challening for 8-10 reps per set.

Bench and Incline Bench Press - Since I don't have a bench, I am using my stability ball and dumbbells. For bench, I roll until my back is parallel to floor; for incline bench I rollforward and drop my butt to get in position.

Tricep Extension (skullcrushers) and laying dumbbell flies: I use dumbbells and my stability ball as a bench, similar to bench press

Dumbell Rows: I was taught to kneel on a bench. Now I am just standing with one leg in front, one leg behind, lean forward and keep knees soft.

Squats: I am using dumbbells, held at my side, arms straight but relaxed. Is there a better way to do squats without a rack?

Bicep Curls and Deadlifts: I am not modifiying these - they don't require a rack or bench!

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see if I can get any responses. Thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? That's what determines which exercises to do.