I can only drink so much...

Options

Replies

• paneubert
    Options
    I once saw someone who had two 32 ounce water jugs that they marked with hours of the day. One was for before lunch, one for after lunch. Then they just made sure they drank down to the correct hour by the end of that hour. It works really well to space out your water evenly. Even if it means you forgot for a couple hours, you can chug (or sip aggressively for a few minutes) to catch back up to the correct "time" on your water jug.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to never really drink water, but over time I drank more and more on a regular basis, and now my body craves it! I have a water bottle that i re fill many times per day. Maybe just slowly increase the amount you drink?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my problem. If I drink too much, I start to feel sick the same way you would if you overate. My stomach just doesn't want to fit it!

The 8 glasses of 8oz water thing is a myth. Just drink when you feel thirsty - water, soups, the water in your veggies, soft drinks, tea or coffee; it's all good.

Here you go:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/eight-glasses-water-per-day/
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Highlights include:

The 8-glasses thing appears to originate in a 1945 study, (I'm guessing you can find or think of a few things 'known' to medical science in the 1940's that have subsequently been found to be inaccurate).

The nature of the 8-glasses per day commentary was descriptive, not prescriptive.

The liquids in other beverages and even the foods consumed contribute toward the 8-glasses.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have one of these at its my main water hole:

http://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Keg-Insulated-Mug-Black/dp/B002KDPSYI

I can fill it up with ice in the morning, and still have ice in it as I leave work. I have a hard time drinking a lot of water unless it is ice cold, and this thing does just that. If its sitting by you all the time, you shouldn't have a hard time drinking water.

31PeuYtQfUL.jpg

Hey I have one of those but I didn't use it for water :indifferent:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Count everything liquid as water.
    Water, milk, tea, coffee, gatorade, etc.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Something in my head insists I drink half of whatever I have. I used to carry around a 1/2 gallon jug of water and I'd drink half. Then I upgraded to a gallon size jug (which doubles as a weight when it's full) and I'd drink half. Now on most days I can drink the whole thing, especially when I am dragged into a conversation in which I'm not expected to participate. I keep myself looking interested and keeps my hands busy by continuously raising the jug to my mouth.

Also, sometimes I add flavored BCAA's which helps keep it interested. 1 scoop of Scivation Xtend per 1/2 gallon is the perfect amount of flavor for me.
  • DaveInFL
    DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just drank 2 16.9fl oz of water this afternoon quite easily. How many cups does that equate to? Is that around 5-6 cups?
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As some others have said, these water calculations, including the 8x8, are not really based in science. Just stay hydrated. If your urine is dark or you are retaining water, drink more water. If your urine is almost completely clear, you should probably drink a little less water. If your urine is a pale yellow color, then you are doing it right.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't drink at least a couple liters a day, I retain a ton of fluid. Like today, I've had 18 cups, so that's about 144 oz so far, and it's only 4 pm. I'll probably drink another 6 cups with dinner. Everything that I drink out of is 24 oz or 3 cups (I measured them) so I just calculate it like that.

Helps that I LOVE tap water.

If you can't drink that much, listen to your body. I agree with others, your pee is a good indicator. Too dark? Drink more water. Pale to clear? You're good!
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I have one of these at its my main water hole:

http://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Keg-Insulated-Mug-Black/dp/B002KDPSYI

I can fill it up with ice in the morning, and still have ice in it as I leave work. I have a hard time drinking a lot of water unless it is ice cold, and this thing does just that. If its sitting by you all the time, you shouldn't have a hard time drinking water.

31PeuYtQfUL.jpg

This is worth it just for the extra lifting.

I have a CamelBak Bit n Sip bottle. Works for me. BPA Free. Antibacterial and easy to keep clean. Also pretty durable.
  • Sassy40Tx
    Sassy40Tx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep your water container full and near . Some days, it is hard to take in 8 x 8, other days it is easy to do. It helps to not keep any other form of drink near. On the days that it is harder to take in water, I try to eat more "water" fruits and veggies.
    Hope this helps, good luck!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just drink it. Seriously - just drink it. I have a bubba keg that holds 6 glasses and I can fill it up 4-5 times a day. The more you make your self do it the more second nature it becomes and the more your body adapts
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I probably drink about 130-150 ounces a day myself ... I weigh 140lb. Much of the time I'm still thirsty! I don't drink anything else other than 18 oz of coffee in the AM and a glass of wine at night. Just suck it down! Much easier with my camelbak than it would be with a regular cup. I recommend something with a straw for sure.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I probably drink to much. I take a 32oz tumbler pretty much wherever I go. I typically go through at leaf four in a 12hr shift at work. On my off days who knows but probably more than that. Could be part of the reason I have trouble hitting my calorie goals.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I probably drink about 130-150 ounces a day myself ... I weigh 140lb. Much of the time I'm still thirsty! I don't drink anything else other than 18 oz of coffee in the AM and a glass of wine at night. Just suck it down! Much easier with my camelbak than it would be with a regular cup. I recommend something with a straw for sure.

excessive thirst is a sign of diabetes
  • Drink a glass of water before every meal- a lot of the time our bodies will confuse thirst fir hunger, so this way you are getting your water in and satiating some of that thirst before you eat. It will also help curb your appetite while you are eating and prevent you from overeating because your stomach will already feel slightly full...
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Making flavored water helps if you do not like plain water. Just add fruit or veggies to your water, as little or as much as you want to taste. My two favorites are orange & cranberry and cucumber & lime. I do not drink a lot of water and fluids in general but this helps.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

excessive thirst is a sign of diabetes

Lol I don't have diabetes. But thanks for the medical advise champ!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Never really had a problem with drinking liquids... i drink 4 water bottles a day (8 cups), 5 cups of almond milk, and 3 or 4 cups of coffee.... i think i also have a weird oral fixation thing goin on, so i constantly need to have something haha... i recently bought cinnamon flavored toothpicks to help tho. :)

maybe just drink like a water bottle before your meals? and then another one during your meal. Like take a sip after every bite?