Diagnose me - Headaches - almost every day

Options
Any ideas, thoughts, experiences you want to share that I may not have thought of. I actually mentioned this to my doctor today at my yearly check up this morning. He asked me if it was sinus related, it is not. Then offered to send me to a neurologist.
I thought surely he might have some more ideas of his own but I guess not.

1. Other than headaches I am perfectly healthy. Dr. ran routine blood work and did the normal checking today and there is nothing elevated or lacking. I am on no medications.

2. Water- I am not dehydrated, I drink tons of the stuff, plain, and I like it.

3. Diet - I am not eating too little. I haven't been tracking consistently but if anything I am way over.

4. Exercise - I exercise more now than I ever have but still not that consistently. Mostly walking or elliptical.

5. Stress- YES I have stress but who doesn't?

Did I miss anything? Anyone have any miracle cures?

ETA: Ok, I worded that all wrong I guess. Before I get 500 replies that say go to the doctor

All I really want to know is if anyone else HAS or HAD frequent headaches and found anything that helped.

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us can diagnose you, but his long has it been going on? Your whole life? How to you know it isn't your sinuses? I would see the neurologist.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since there are dozens of reasons for headaches, and each one has a different treatment, there's no point running around trying different treatments that worked for other people. Find out the cause of yours first, then find the treatment for it.

Questions -

1 - How long have you had them?

2 - What triggers them / when do they happen? Or is it constant?

3 - What part of your head?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Log your food and exercise consistently, and add your headaches into your notes, including time, intensity, length and where you were at onset.This will help you determine your triggers.

Also:

When was the last time you had your eyes checked?

How long is your hair?

Are you sitting properly at work?

Do you do yoga or meditation for stress relief?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Scurvy? I know it's more a pirate type ailment but maybe you're the exception to that.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Get your eyes checked. Also, do you clench your jaw without realizing it or grind your teeth?
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Scurvy? I know it's more a pirate type ailment but maybe you're the exception to that.

I believe scurvy is a vitamin C deficiency. I live in the sunshine state and eat lots of citrus :-)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Migraines run in my mother's side of the family. We've recently discovered that it is caused by food allergies/intolerances. I had what was essentially a year-long migraine until I had a blood test done for food intolerances. I've since cut out the foods that popped up on the test and I haven't had a migraine (or other very nasty symptoms) since, unless i ate some of those foods again.

You may want to look into getting a blood test done yourself.
  • PennyM140
    Options
    Get your eyes checked. Also, do you clench your jaw without realizing it or grind your teeth?

I get my eyes checked regularly as I wear contacts. I do sometimes clench my jaw when I am sleeping but not while awake.
  • PennyM140
    Options
    Migraines run in my mother's side of the family. We've recently discovered that it is caused by food allergies/intolerances. I had what was essentially a year-long migraine until I had a blood test done for food intolerances. I've since cut out the foods that popped up on the test and I haven't had a migraine (or other very nasty symptoms) since, unless i ate some of those foods again.

You may want to look into getting a blood test done yourself.

That is actually very helpful. What kind of doctor would do that type of testing? My GP does not believe in doing anything other than handing out pills.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had a persistent cough, that no amount of tests by doc could diagnose.... I gave up dairy , on someone's suggestion.
    Within a week, my cough had gone, and so had the headaches I had so frequently I'd almost forgotten what it was like to be without.

(I also lost 30lb in short space of time by not eating cheese, cake and chips/crisps...then I discovered all the things I could eat!!!)
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I get headaches at least every day and sometimes bad migraines. My neurologist said, for me, it's most likely tension headaches because I hold a lot of tension in my shoulders and neck. Nothing could really be done for that other than stretching, don't stress (ha!), and excedrin. A massage would help too but they don't hand out prescriptions for massages unfortunately.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have the same problem as you on and off, and I'm only 20.

It happens to me regularly if I have slept too long or if I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep - usually with the latter I can tell because my teeth hurt too.

Start looking for patterns to try and find triggers - maybe you are intolerant to something in your diet for example?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    not sure all the details on it but birth control can be a common cause of migrains, have you switched yours lately?
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I agree about tracking your headaches as well as your food and exercise. Some other triggers are caffeine, your back needing adjusted, some allergies (I am allergic to a cologne that well give me a headache if I am near someone wearing it for even a few minutes), several other foods can trigger them. What part of your head do you feel it first? Where does it hurt the most? Do you see twinkles or black spots?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep?
    sitting at a computer a lot of the time? (not just the effect it can have on your eyes, but the slight tilt of the head if you don't sit up perfectly straight with your head straight ahead can cause neck straight which can turn into a headache)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My teenage son had terrible headaches almost everyday. The causes could be almost anything, so it's frustrating. However, I decided to eliminate certain foods--one at a time. We discovered that he was having a reaction to salami. He hasn't eaten it for 3 years and his headaches have disappeared. Good luck to you!!!
  • PennyM140
    Options
    I agree about tracking your headaches as well as your food and exercise. Some other triggers are caffeine, your back needing adjusted, some allergies (I am allergic to a cologne that well give me a headache if I am near someone wearing it for even a few minutes), several other foods can trigger them. What part of your head do you feel it first? Where does it hurt the most? Do you see twinkles or black spots?

Hurts across my forehead.

I do occasionally see "floaters" these are small sparkly dots that go away after a few seconds. I only get them occasionally and he has examined my eyes for signs of problems.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. no one here is a doctor so we can only give you suggestions.
    2. Food sensitivities can be triggers. My husband has soy that causes him trouble.
    3. have you tried a chiropractor or osteopath?
    4. check your ergonomics at your workplace & home.
    5. check your thyroid. I had a wicked headache until I got that sorted.
    6. TMJ
    7. Sinus blockages/congestion

Good luck.
  • PennyM140
    Options
    not sure all the details on it but birth control can be a common cause of migrains, have you switched yours lately?

I haven't been on any for over a year. Trying for another baby
  • RaggedyAm
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies and that is because I have a horrible head ache. Actually I only skimmed the first post but whatever >__> I have a head ache, so, forgive me if I repeat things

Could it be a migraine? Light sensitive? Sound sensitive? Does pressure help? Is it in one spot?
    Try laying down in a dark room and putting a cold washcloth over your eyes, apply some light pressure to your temples and eyes.

Try taking a migraine pill- they have caffeine in them- those help me. Caffeine pill + dark room + wash cloth = my miracle cure.

Obviously I'm not a doctor...just a migraine suffererererer trying to share some ideas <3