Need help with TDEE?

Options
Does anyone use the TDEE to calculate your calories. I have been hungry lately more than usual and have not been losing and I am wondering if I don't eat enough. I currently weigh 189 and I am 6 ft tall. MFP has me set to 1330 calories and I have been going over all the time. I looked up the scooby TDEE calculator and with my information I come up that I should eat around 1680 in calories with light exercise (I usually do at least 30 minutes day) Do you think I should try going by that for a while and see if that works and if so do I stop logging my exercise on MFP? Just when I thought I had a handle on this and with only 14lbs to my goal I am all confused again. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you calculated your TDEE including your exercise then yes, you would want to stop logging your exercise here or input it as 1 calorie burned. Your exercise calories are already included in this method and you don't want to eat them twice.

If you want to continue to use MFP's method, make sure that you're logging your exercise and eating back at least a portion of the extra calories you earn. For me, this usually brings MFP's goal and my TDEE -20% to about the same number once it's all averaged out. I would also recommend checking to make sure that you're set to lose one pound/week here (most people set it to two pounds/week whether or not that's appropriate for their size).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    With MFP you're supposed to eat exercise calories back, so you'd probably be close to 1680 anyway.

I switched to TDEE-20% after a few months and never looked back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the TDEE to calculate your calories. I have been hungry lately more than usual and have not been losing and I am wondering if I don't eat enough. I currently weigh 189 and I am 6 ft tall. MFP has me set to 1330 calories and I have been going over all the time. I looked up the scooby TDEE calculator and with my information I come up that I should eat around 1680 in calories with light exercise (I usually do at least 30 minutes day) Do you think I should try going by that for a while and see if that works and if so do I stop logging my exercise on MFP? Just when I thought I had a handle on this and with only 14lbs to my goal I am all confused again. Any help would be appreciated.

it's odd MFP would have you at 1330....with your stats...do you have your weight loss goal set to 2lbs a week?

When I run your numbers in scooby with lightly active with 10% loss which is reasonable when you have 14 to go...it gives me 2012 so I suspect you are looking to lose fast...becaue the only way to come up with 1680 is TDEE-25%....perhaps instead of changing up the numbers eaten change your goals in MFP to something more reasonable.

TDEE-25% gives you a warning.....
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had my goal in MFP to 1.5lb per week and has been for almost a year and until the last few months it seemed to be okay. I have went in today and changed it to 1lb per week which has uped my calories to 1550 which is closer to what the TDEE on scooby calculator (1680) gave me. I will see if that helps any, I just worried about eating more since I don't want to gain weight back. Thanks for giving me any suggestions, they have been a big help and anything else offered is great too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had my goal in MFP to 1.5lb per week and has been for almost a year and until the last few months it seemed to be okay. I have went in today and changed it to 1lb per week which has uped my calories to 1550 which is closer to what the TDEE on scooby calculator (1680) gave me. I will see if that helps any, I just worried about eating more since I don't want to gain weight back. Thanks for giving me any suggestions, they have been a big help and anything else offered is great too.

If you find that even 1550 is not enough you could probably change your goal to 1/2lb a week because at 14lbs to lose that is more reasonable....that is where mine has been for months and it is coming off like clock work...