treadmill vs treadmill

Swoopette
Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I always go on the same treadmill till today. So confused on what to use now as it is completely different. I do subtract 25% off what the treadmill says as they aren't all accurate.

So here is my delimma.

I walk 65mins. @ 3.7mph (treadmill says 511 - 25% = 383) (same treadmill daily)

I walk 65mins. @ 3.8mp treadmill said I burn 362 (was on a different treadmill today.

so what do I do this make a HUGE intake on what I can eat extra for calories. I walked faster today on a different treadmill and burnt less calories??? WTH. To get a heartrate monitor I have to drive a hour away so that is out of the question. Any suggestions.

Swoopette

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Did you log any of your information (age, weight etc) into the treadmill either time, a HRM is probably only way you will know for sure, but the calories burned is really based on your HR and what levels it was at.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    were the inclines different?
  • Swoopette
    no incline nothing different jus the speed. No you don't put your age and weight and all that jazz in thats why you take the 25% off. I am going to head to the city which is a good hour away to this store and buy one even though I can't afford it :(

Thanks though
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I didn't know that different treadmills registered different calories burned. I always use the same one and I don't deduct any amount. I register what ever the machine tells me (time and calories burned), according with the program that I chose.

Did you enter the same information in both treadmill, such as weight, age, and program or incline? Each program has different requirements, and I burn more calories in intense programs with alternating inclines, than in manual or fat burning programs. What about asking the fitness expert or trainer at the gym for information?

It is intersting, and I will be watching other members responses to educate myself.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Did you log any of your information (age, weight etc) into the treadmill either time, a HRM is probably only way you will know for sure, but the calories burned is really based on your HR and what levels it was at.

Calories burned is nothing over and above the total kinetic energy cost of the activity performed, regardless of heart rate!
  • I dont use the treadmill info at all , I use my droid phone with an app called cardio trainer. I think gives you a more accurate picture of calories burned because it uses your weight also.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    If you don't enter weight, then ANY calorie reading you get from ANY source is just a gimmick number.

At your weight, you are burning just over 5 cal/min when walking 3.7 mph.

Quite frankly, with what you are doing, buying a heart rate monitor just to estimate calories would be a waste of money. Even more so since you have to drive so far to purchase one.

Budget ~ 300 calories per hour for your workouts and you should be fine. For you, that will be as accurate as any other method, including a heart monitor.

If this is something you cannot afford right now, it would be completely irresponsible for anyone to suggest that you go out and purchase an HRM. (Unless they want to buy it for you).
  • Azdak
    PS--you shouldn't be trying to be so precise with trying the "eat back" your exercise calories anyway.

Most people here overestimate their exercise calories by a significant amount--I would never recommend that anyone here eat more than 1/2 their exercise calories--not without a LOT of trial and error evidence.
  • I recommend looking online for a heart rate monitor mine was 30 bucks off amazon ... which would qualify for free shipping and it comes in the mail :) no driving to get one. Mine is a mio shape and it doesnt have a chest strap which i find is a pain in the butt!
  • Azdak
    I recommend looking online for a heart rate monitor mine was 30 bucks off amazon ... which would qualify for free shipping and it comes in the mail :) no driving to get one. Mine is a mio shape and it doesnt have a chest strap which i find is a pain in the butt!

It's also not very accurate--at least for counting calories.
  • I recommend looking online for a heart rate monitor mine was 30 bucks off amazon ... which would qualify for free shipping and it comes in the mail :) no driving to get one. Mine is a mio shape and it doesnt have a chest strap which i find is a pain in the butt!

i dont use mine to count calories ... i enter my age, weight, and height into the watch and strickly use it when i work out ..best 30 bucks spent ... everybody is different and finds different things that work for them
  • Azdak
    I recommend looking online for a heart rate monitor mine was 30 bucks off amazon ... which would qualify for free shipping and it comes in the mail :) no driving to get one. Mine is a mio shape and it doesnt have a chest strap which i find is a pain in the butt!

i dont use mine to count calories ... i enter my age, weight, and height into the watch and strickly use it when i work out ..best 30 bucks spent ... everybody is different and finds different things that work for them

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion--but not their own facts.

You are "recommending" a model of HRM to someone who specifically has expressed a desire to get the most accurate calorie count possible and that model is one of the most inaccurate on the market. I was not questioning your choice for yourself but I did feel it was important to warn others against following your recommendation since it would be a poor choice for anyone looking for a serious HRM.

PS: And if you are not using your HRM to "count calories", why bother to enter your height and weight?
  • Geez, I was just trying to help obviously before you buy something you should research it. She asked for opinions I gave her mine. Way to single me out.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Ill drop in my 2 cents , love the drama

I use the Precor brand, and we have about15 at the gym I work out in

when I fast walk , I use the 3.5 speed, and after exactly one hour,I have burned 300 calories

when I fast walk with an incline, and 3.5 speed for 50 minutes, I burned 300 calories.....

not a whole lot of difference,all the Pre Cor treadmills have the same readings..........

Hope this helps......Lloyd
  • Azdak:
    If you don't enter weight, then ANY calorie reading you get from ANY source is just a gimmick number.

At your weight, you are burning just over 5 cal/min when walking 3.7 mph.

Quite frankly, with what you are doing, buying a heart rate monitor just to estimate calories would be a waste of money. Even more so since you have to drive so far to purchase one.

Budget ~ 300 calories per hour for your workouts and you should be fine. For you, that will be as accurate as any other method, including a heart monitor.

If this is something you cannot afford right now, it would be completely irresponsible for anyone to suggest that you go out and purchase an HRM. (Unless they want to buy it for you).

This might explain a lot... My exercise calories have been high high high and what I eat is often under the limits but my weight loss often hits plateaus where it should be in steady decline. I think I'll reduce my exercise calories to the 300 per hour you mentioned and adjust my food intake from that. Thanks for the post.
  • Swoopette
    I ended up buying a HRM and the differnce was crazy. I was burning WAY more than the treadmill said. By way more I mean about a 100 more calories. Love my HRM. Add me as a friend if you want too!

VA
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Any HR monitor can be used to calculate calorie expenditure, BUT, an essential piece of information is needed first.

This is your 'VO2max', i.e., your 'aerobic capacity' or current cardiovascular fitness level.

This can be determined by doing a fitness test with the help of a fitness instructor/personal trainer at your health club. (However, not all of them are trained and qualified to perform these tests, so check first.)

If you manage to get this done, you can then work out calorie expenditure at any given intensity, using a HR monitor, for any activity. The instructor can show you how to do this, and it can be done even with the cheapest monitors. A 'calories burned' function is unnecessary.

BTW.....If a HR monitor 'claims' to be able to calculate calorie expenditure, it will only be accurate if it allows you to enter your 'VO2max' value. (Few can). Without this information, the value shown will be a wild estimate - despite what the manufacturers say!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    swopete, yesterday,at the gym, I inputed my age and weight on a Precor Stand Treadmill...........the gym I go to has about 15 or so, and before I ever thought to input this data, they were all the exact same when it came to output numbers

I fast walk at 3.0 and I burn 295 calories......., this is just a basic generic reading

yesterday, I inputed my height, weight, and age...............I ended up burning 425 calories..........

So, see, it helps to input the information , if it asks for it. Again, Im not a professional, but if youre walking , at 3.5 and do it for an hour, your easily burning 350 calories, depending on your age and weight. Good luck, Ill be rooting for you as wel...........Lloyd
This discussion has been closed.