Sugars vs Fats

Options
What is the lesser of 2 evils? Sugars or Fats? You burn sugars first so I would think sugars correct?

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    What is the lesser of 2 evils? Sugars or Fats? You burn sugars first so I would think sugars correct?

Oh dear..
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's not really worth thinking about. Eat a variety of foods and maintain a calorie deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Neither is evil. Fats are amazing for you. Don't cut them out of your diet! They help with everything from hormone control, cell regrowth, and vitamin absorption to healthy skin and nails.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

2ymsl75.gif
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    There are no evil foods, sugars are found in fruit and not many fruits are evil (although I might consider grapefruit as evil) and many vitamins are fat soluble so you need fats in your diet as well.

Fit them both into a healthy diet and just eat at a calorie deficit
  • KristaIacobucci
    Options
    Both are bad and both are good. You want healthy sugars and healthy fats. Refined and bleached sugars are not healthy, but sugars that occur naturally in fruits are. If you can opt for complex sugars like oatmeal or 100% whole grain, then awesome! Remember: 1 teaspoon of sugar is only 12 calories, so use that in your coffee instead of gross chemicals like aspertame and sucralose. Animal fats and hydrogenated oils are not healthy, but plant fats are, like avocado or nuts or seeds.

You do burn sugars first, but that is your fuel, so don't skimp. As long as you are in a total calorie deficit, you should be losing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    neither are inherently evil. dietary fat is an essential macro-nutrient though, as where sugar is not. dietary fat is necessary for proper hormone regulation, brain function, and nervous system function among other things. roughly 20-30% of your calories should come from dietary fat for proper nutrition.

Just eat a well balanced diet with an emphasis on proper nutrition..get your 4-6 servings of veg in and a couple servings of fruit...eat some lean protein and get in your healthy fats and some whole grains...then have some ice cream for desert and hit your calorie goal.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Both are bad and both are good. You want healthy sugars and healthy fats. Refined and bleached sugars are not healthy, but sugars that occur naturally in fruits are. If you can opt for complex sugars like oatmeal or 100% whole grain, then awesome! Remember: 1 teaspoon of sugar is only 12 calories, so use that in your coffee instead of gross chemicals like aspertame and sucralose. Animal fats and hydrogenated oils are not healthy, but plant fats are, like avocado or nuts or seeds.

You do burn sugars first, but that is your fuel, so don't skimp.
    As long as you are in a total calorie deficit, you should be losing.

Just about every single thing you said in your comment is absolutely wrong...
  • __freckles__
    Options

You do burn sugars first, but that is your fuel, so don't skimp. As long as you are in a total calorie deficit, you should be losing.

Wah wah, here we go...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

If you could link the evidence that your body can tell the difference between refined and natural sugars during digestion, I'd love to read it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In, for another train wreck.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Neither is evil, and having eaten chocolate ice cream with whipped cream last night, I can assure you sugar and fat are both wonderful and delicious.
  • Reeder06
    Reeder06 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Let me rephrase my inital topic. I am trying to determine which would be a better on the go quick meal, if something is exactly the same in calories, carbs and protein but 1 is higher in fat and the other is higher in sugar. Is there an obvious better choice?
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Neither is evil, and having eaten chocolate ice cream with whipped cream last night, I can assure you sugar and fat are both wonderful and delicious.

Had myself a cookie this morning with 470 calories, 22 grams of fat and 39 grams of sugar. And it was freaking FANTASTIC
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Let me rephrase my inital topic. I am trying to determine which would be a better on the go quick meal, if something is exactly the same in calories, carbs and protein but 1 is higher in fat and the other is higher in sugar. Is there an obvious better choice?

The answer is: It entirely depends on what you have eaten/will eat for the rest of the day. All that matters is that you hit your macros and calories by the end of the day. As long as that is happening, eat whatever you want, whenever you want and be happy :-)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

There really isn't an obvious better choice. It depends on how it fits into your day and how you react to it. I'd personally reach for something higher in fat because I know that's going to keep me fuller and more satisfied longer. Your mileage may vary.
  • Reeder06
    Reeder06 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you!
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can play this but this is an intersting program about just that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03t8r4h/Horizon_20132014_Sugar_v_Fat/
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can play this but this is an intersting program about just that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03t8r4h/Horizon_20132014_Sugar_v_Fat/

You beat me to it..... interesting programme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RqPWeqhlI