Best alternatives to ketchup?

Options
I have a bad habit of eating meat with ketchup, and when I say meat...I mean almost all meat, including chicken, turkey etc...so yes I am weird! Thankfully I do not eat fish with ketchup though :)

Ketchup, I assume, is just pure sugar and pointless towards my nutrition. What is a healthy substitute that tastes just as good to help me kick the habit?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Good quality ketchup is normally tomatoes onions and some spices. Shop around for a good one or make your own there's good recipes online.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You can find a number of different brands here with nutrition data...you can probably find one that fits your macros:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-ketchup-i11935

If you really can't find anything that fits into your list, you might consider a mild salsa although you'll still need to check the label to see if they're adding sugar to it.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If ketchup is your biggest problem and worry, I'd say you're doing just fine. Ketchup won't hurt you. In fact, neither will sugar... unless of course you have a medically diagnosed reason to avoid it.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Good quality ketchup is normally tomatoes onions and some spices. Shop around for a good one or make your own there's good recipes online.

This. But if you just want to switch it out for a zero calorie sauce, try mustard.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Heinz offers a reduced sugar ketchup. Walden Farms also offers a calorie free, sugar free ketchup. In my experience their products have been hit or miss in taste though.
  • thecheesybrie
    thecheesybrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    make your own, straight up tomatoes and vinegar.

check out thepaleoleap online for recipes, or any other paleo-oriented recipe site!