HELP! My hubby WANTS MEAT!!

Options
bryannakay
bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
I am trying to lose weight and eat healthy....which my fiancé is VERY supportive of....BUT....he can eat seriously 3000 calories in a day and STILL be hungry. (And not gain a single pound :explode: )He is a meat and potatoes kind of man and loves a good hearty meal...I am EASILY able to portion out my meals but, I am looking for some TASTY meals that both him and I can enjoy without me feeling like I only get a 1/2 cup of supper and then I'm out of calories!

Any ideas? Or recipes? Or websites that have good information on them?

THANK YOU :smile:

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com :smile:

Or just grill some chicken or steak.
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Make things like a healthy chili and you can have your portion over spaghetti squash to stretch it. He can have his over rice, pasta or just a large portion. This works with BBQ Chicken and Italian Meat Sauce. I made Cincinnati Chili recently. Here is a link to my review. http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/01/cincinnati-chili-with-spaghetti-squash.html

Also if he eats fish or seafood, it is usually less in calories and fat and you both could have more. Just a thought.

I agree skinnytaste has a lot of great recipes.

One more idea you can make beef fajitas and grill some portabello mushrooms. You can have a mixed fajita of mushroom and beef. Check out the Portabello Fajitas review on my blog too.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    STEAK!!!!! :bigsmile: nomnom!
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    STEAK!!!!! :bigsmile: nomnom!

Steak !!!
    Ribs !!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken and steak are actually pretty low in calories, and have lots protein.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Chicken is awesome - you can flavor it to whatever and eat a crapload of it without killing calories. You would always do things like chicken tacos where you can vary the amount you put into the taco, or do a taco salad versus taco.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Steak, chicken, pork chops.... You can make them any way you want, just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    I hear alright things about turkey, too......
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Meat is your friend.
    Potatoes, not as much.

IIFYM
    YRMV
    etc
    etc
  • dragonelf19
    Options
    Keep in mind he needs the protein for testosterone/ muscles. You'll feel more full eating more protein vs other things. Salmon and tuna are great to add in for variety.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    eating meat is a good thing. Its the side dishes you can avoid or measure out more cautiously. Plan your day ahead so that you have enough cals to enjoy the sit down dinner. A hungry man is no fun to live with and a hungry women is even worse lol ( at least in my house ~ I often hear go eat something :) )
    Consider upping your activity level ~ lift weights and a bit of cardio ~ gaining muscle allows you to need to eat a little more. Lots of ways to make this work~ good luck
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,685 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, steak, lamb and fish are all awesome, as previous posters suggested.

My go to dish (which freezes well) is braised chicken. Chicken Teriyaki, Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken Tagine, Coq au Vin. I often cook a big batch on the weekend and freeze leftovers to re-heat for weekday meals. Don't eat the skin if you are trying to restrict calories.

I also like oven fried chicken. Dip chicken in buttermilk or no fat yoghurt, and then roll in oat meal or quinoa flake crumbs (pound to a fine powder in the food processor first) flavoured with some garlic powder and salt any other herbs or spices you fancy. Spray with a little olive oil and bake at 200C for about 30-40 minutes. Remove the skin for the dieter's portion prior to cooking.

Just make extra veg for yourself and don't have too much potato.
  • ftloy
    ftloy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    *perk* Steak?! *drool*
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I have a large-ish family to feed, but still want to train/eat a training diet...so I have to make meal prep simple:
    Roast your meats all at once after you pick them up from the store. I just put mine in a deep lasagne pan, season, and cover with tin foil. I roast until it's totally tender, break it up onto large and small freezer bags (some goes into little sandwich bags for sandwich meat). Now you can pull meat from the freezer for any meal!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is great. Fajitas and stir fry's would be a good way to mix in lots of low calorie veggies but still have the meat too.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    exchange potatoes for veggies, salad or something. Chicken is a good substitute like mentioned. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef.

Change things up, make a pasta dish, lasagna or something and use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
  • hollyan29
    hollyan29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know what you are feeling. Grilling is good bc you can do the meat and veggies for yourself at the same time. A favorite for my family since I've started, is my chicken and shrimp stir fry. Add all the veggies you want and plus you have two proteins. I serve them white rice, but I go without . WIN WIN!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sorry I thought he wanted the "other meat"