I'm Running Out of Food

Options
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but with pay day tomorrow, I'm beginning to mentally prepare for the trip to the grocery store. My issue is that I will drop $100 tomorrow and have enough food for the week. Just the week. After the bag of artichoke hearts, 6 or 7 bags of vegetables, the container of special cheese, and the whole wheat bread only touched by virgins on a full moon, my cart is full. More importantly, attempting to craft meals that cover all the bases means by next Friday, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel...am I the only one?

Something has got to give. Either I am horribly ignorant of good shopping technique, which I am more than willing to admit, or I am missing the easy stuff. Like a one-meal deal kind of stew, but without the heaps of cornbread and 3/4 lbs of ground beef per serving. Is there anyone with good, eat off of it for a couple days kind of recipes?

Replies

• mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ... and the whole wheat bread only touched by virgins on a full moon, my cart is full.

I'm sorry, I can't offer any advice at the moment, but this did make me LOL! :flowerforyou:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Your spending $100 for the week for how many people?? Not just yourself????

I spend about $15.00-25.00 on fruits and vegetables for the week from our farmers market and then spend $60.00 every 2 weeks for eggs and farm raised meats from a local meat market..........

So my average grocery bill for 2 adults and 2 dogs ranges from $45.00 - 55.00 a week.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables, in season fruit only, rice, beans, eggs.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I buy 5 dozen eggs (nearly every month) because they are quick, relatively cheap and convenient. Not sure if you are vegan or not but those last for many meals even in my family of four.
    Hard boiled for breakfast or on salads for lunch and dinner, scrambled with some black beans, omelet with veggies, etc.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*

nope...just me....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I spend about $140 a week for 4 people. Bread, 7 bags of frozen veggies and cheese would cost me $16 maybe... What kind of store do you shop at?
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    uuuuuuum where I shop it costs me over 450.00 weekly to buy enough food to feed my family of 4 ! I don`t know how people just getting a job and living on their own are suppose to make it in life !!
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You should shop what's on sale not what you feel like eating. It's fairly easy to look at a store flyer and see whats going to be on sale then look up healthy recipes using whats cheapest. Of course you will still want to buy stuff that's not on sale but it'll help if you take savings where you can get them.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I actually plan my meals on Sunday in front of the computer with the sale ads up. The store I go to (Meijer) can do an online shopping list, so if it's on sale, it's an ingredient in meals for the week. I get together with a friend Monday nights and we prep breakfasts and lunches for the rest of the week (sometimes I do some stuff Sunday instead). Portioned out baked egg muffins or fritattas, hard boiled eggs, and yogurt for breakfasts. Salad in a jar for lunches or leftovers from a big pot of whatever I decide to make from what's on sale. Between the 2 of us we get 5 days of breakfasts and lunches, along with at least a dinner or 2, for ~$50. Sign up for coupons or offers through your stores, too. I actually like having the stuff on sale being what I end up making much less stressful than trying to come up with ideas completely out of thin air.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Eggs are good.

My wife and I are pricing out the lumber to build a couple box gardens in the backyard to keep up with my sudden spike in spinach consumption. That is one money pit right there, buying tubs of greens all the time.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Buy what is in season regarding fruits and vegetables. Artichoke hearts are not in season and thus more expensive.
    Lentils are great for adding a "meat" component to dishes either when you don't want to add meat or want to extend what you have (ie add lentils and use less meat)
    When I cook vegetables I always cook onions, garlic and ginger first as they are good for you and inexpensive.
    Eggs make a great meal -omelets, Fritata, etc
    Home made soups (lentil is one of my favs) are easy to make and stretch your $$ far

Do you own a slow cooker? There are so many meals you can make in that with inexpensive meats for example
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Katinachaos, that is amazing...

The OCD in me just did a cart wheel thinking about it. A quick spreadsheet, a database of prices and food listings and I could even see how much each meal is going to cost in and of itself. And then next...the world.......

I can see what your saying, JessaKittyis. Not following my stomach around the aisles has got to make my life easier.

Mamma_nee, we should have never grown up. It was a trap.
  • dark12222000
    dark12222000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    $100 can feed four for two weeks, if used very carefully. A few general principles:

1. Beans and Grains
    These can be full of calories since they are primary carbs, so you don't need much. Buy in bulk, and never buy canned. Buy beans dried and then just soak them overnight - they taste better and are much cheaper. Buy rice and couscous in bulk. Don't buy israeli (pearl) couscouse, but buy regular couscous (israeli couscous is delicious, but kinda expensive and not very nutritious)

2. Eggs
    Buy Grade B unbleached eggs. Aside from being much better for the environment, they are so cheap as to be almost free. Of course, monitor your intake since they tend to have a fair bit of cholesterol. There is no taste difference between grades or colors of egg, simply size.

3. Local vegetables
    It's expensive to buy imported kale, but it's really cheap to get whatever is grown down the street. Chances are you can get a ton of great vegetables for very cheap.

4. If you buy meat, buy unpopular cuts
    Beef Tongue, Chicken Livers, etc. These are often the best tasting portion of the animal, but frequently people aren't quite sure how to cook it.

5. Don't buy premade stock, buy bullion.
    Stock can be really overpriced for no good reason. You get literally the same thing when you buy bullion, and it takes 40 seconds to convert it to stock. You can also more easily thin the stock out and cut down on your sodium intake.

Finally, a last few major points:
    6. Buy bulk
    7. Don't buy what is "cheap" in terms of direct cost. You want the best price per weight, not simply the lowest direct cost.
    8. Offbrand is not only cheaper, it's usually the exact same product. This isn't always true (pizza crust, tortillas) but it often is (tissues, baking mixes).
    9. Membership only places are almost always worth the little bit of money upfront, as long as you go on a regular basis.
    10. Compare, compare, compare. Sometimes places like Target are really cheap for some things (Yogurt) and really expensive for others (bread). Don't be shy about going to a few stores to get the best deals.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    No slow cooker, but I do have a stay at home wife? Might be worth exploring.

Lentils have shown up in a lot of things I've read. Tomorrow, they will be bought.
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you have a Target near you, get their Target Debit Card, it saves you 5% each time you shop, plus they have a free app called Cartwheel where you can get "Coupons" for percentages off certain products, plus then if you go to their website you can print off coupons, then of course regular newspaper coupons. I went from 196 w/tax before any coupons to 161 w/tax and coupons and target debit card discount. It def. starts to add up.

I totally feel you though on having to scrounge for food right before payday, it gets frustrating because i try and eat healthy all week and then by the end of the pay period i am having to eat the unhealthy options just so i dont go hungry lol.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you have a local second hand store you will probably find a slow cooker there. The ones near me always have at least 1-2 on the shelf.

Your stay at home wife will appreciate the slow cooker. I am sure she works her butt off doing a million things you don't even realize when you are gone :)
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Dark, I am going to skip the Simon and Garfunkel reference and just say thank you.

Ampersa, I'll see about that. My fear is when you said "Target...Card". I think my wife heard you type it and I'm afraid of having that in the house. Might be worth it for the coupons but might cost more in the kids clothes, household decorations, bathroom rugs, etc....
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Jade, absolutely. I have three kids at home and whatever preconceptions I MIGHT have had were dispelled when she had surgery and I stayed home for a week to take care of those monsters. Stay at home moms rock. Stay at home dads for that matter too.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If the desire is to lose weight, buying super special food won't help. Regular stuff can provide a balanced, healthy diet at affordable prices.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Get your wife a slow cooker - cooking slowly for a long time (like all day) can turn a cheaper, tougher cut of meat into something very tasty. Shop the sales and forget the 'gourmet' types of fresh veggies, buy whatever is in season or buy frozen. Bread - Stroehmann small is only 110 cals for 2 slices if you are willing to eat white bread, if you want whole grain or wheat there are plenty of options that aren't too bad price/calorie wise for that either, just not the fresh, artisan breads.

Good luck.