TDEE

Options
Hi All,

I have decided to calculate my TDEE as i found by eating only 1200 calories i wasnt losing weight.

I have a desk job and commute 1 and a half hours to and from work ( 3 hours total ) a longggg time sitting, i go to the gym and most weeks i hit the gym 6 times a week, i do a couple of spin classes a week and the rest is cardio ( treadmill, crosstrainer, ski machine, rower ) followed by a weights circuit ( resitance machines) im at the gym approx an hour each time, although longer on weekends.

Question is should i put my activity level at moderate or light seeing as i spend the most part of the day sitting ?

Thanks in advance for all opinions

Kimmie

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary and MFP says my TDEE (without an extra exercise) is 2300. LOL. That is just ridiculous and my doctor agreed. He sent me to a recreational therapist who determined that it was actually around 1100.

That goes for BMR too. Online it says 1500 (or something, I can't remember exactly) which is ridiculous so my doctor sent me to the hospital to get it tested and it was actually 801 - 911.

Don't take generic online calculators too seriously.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would go light and make adjustments from there as necessary.

Also, it's not the method...MFP and TDEE are 6 of 1 when you compare apples to apples goals and use the tools right. If you're not losing I would suggest that you have an estimation error in your intake. If you're weighing and measuring everything and being 100% consistent I would see a doctor and get some blood work done to see if there is anything more serious is going on...it could be something as mundane as a vitamin D deficiency or it could be more serious.

Note that a 20% cut from your TDEE is likely going to be around 1 Lb per week goal...where your 1200 calorie MFP goal is for 2 Lbs per week. Also, you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP so that will also be part of the difference you see.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary and MFP says my TDEE (without an extra exercise) is 2300. LOL. That is just ridiculous and my doctor agreed. He sent me to a recreational therapist who determined that it was actually around 1100.

That goes for BMR too. Online it says 1500 (or something, I can't remember exactly) which is ridiculous so my doctor sent me to the hospital to get it tested and it was actually 801 - 911.

Don't take generic online calculators too seriously.

I doubt that is right, unless of course your under 5 feet tall.

ETA: My BMR is 1397, I am 44 years old, 5'2 and 125 pounds. You are younger so yours will be higher not lower.