Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Identity and Changes…

khk2010
khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
I am very happy to have lost a few sizes and weight but feeling out of sorts with changes.
Anyone else feel some identity issues while losing weight?

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    You mean like, "I'm not the fat sister anymore"?

I also underwent a personality change. I'm not the introverted sister anymore either.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    For me, it has been like finding myself again. This is how I was 20 years ago!! I feel 20 years younger. I feel STRONG!! I love it!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    Absolutely.

I realized last night that my BMI is no longer morbidly obese (as of quite a while ago). But when I went to my new doctor for the first time, I told her that my category was morbidly obese. It's a small thing, but shows how my brain still thinks of me as the "fat" one. Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go. Also, if you ask what I weigh, I'd probably answer in the 280s without thinking.

Part of the reason it's taking such a long time for me to wrap my brain around it is that the reason I got to be in the 280s was that I still "saw" myself as being in the 220s (a spot that I was in for most of my teenage years). I didn't see a problem. When I got to see the problem, I started losign the weight.

Weight loss is something to be proud of, but it does come with its unique blend of self-image issues.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member

I also underwent a personality change. I'm not the introverted sister anymore either.

Too true. My younger sister (who was always a toothpick growing up (and the first one to call me fat) came home from being in school and working abroad a week ago. I don't think we're too far different now....... I know it bothers her immensely but the reality is that within a few weeks, I won't be the fat sister anymore....
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Big time.

I had the following experiences:

my own mother (who admittedly hadn't seen me in two years) walked directly past me in the airport.

and

I kept getting "kicked out" of Lane Bryant or, the "plus size" sections of my favourite stores.

I wrote about it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/viviakay/view/five-things-i-wish-someone-had-told-me-five-years-ago-about-weight-loss-9741

(it's number 5).

I'm still breaking in the new body/attitude, even though I've been at goal weight for almost three years now. :flowerforyou:
  • So far I have lost over 100 pounds and 7 sizes, and yet, I am still overweight. It took a couple months for the weight I have already lost to register, I still saw myself at my pre-weight loss weight. Then I went through a month of discouragement as it set in that though I have lost a chunk and am in a size I haven't been in in over 13 years, I still have another 70 pounds to lose.
    But 70 isn't 180, and I am over halfway there, so I am learning to love that I am smaller, healthier, and have way more energy and can do things now I couldn't do before I lost the weight, and my motivation is coming back to push on and finish the last part of my weight loss.

It's weird though to be 42 and healthier than I was at 32! And it's weird to try to shop for clothes in normal stores now, not plus size stores since I haven't done that in years, and now I have no idea with the latest styles and am trying to figure out what I like and what I don't like now- plus size stores don't always have the best selection! It's odd having choices now, and I am still getting used to it!

I think it all reconciles with time- congratulations to you for losing weight- it's a great accomplishment! Just try to enjoy it and try not to be bound by who you thought you were or had to be when you were heavier! I try to remember that me at 348 pounds was still me, and that being that size did help to shape (no pun intended) who I am now, at 233 pounds. I will be glad to lose the rest of the weight, but honestly, I have to accept the fat me too, it helps me to go forward, by understanding and accepting where I was. Fat or thin, it was and will be me, and my choices that made me either way.

Go forward with your smaller, healthier self- you will find your identity at this place in your life too! And probably have lots of fun doing it!! :flowerforyou:
  • khk2010

• khk2010
    Cool. I like that!
  • Its amazing what can change your personality. I was ALWAYS the quiet outcast (in highschool 2004 ) until I got into modeling school. I didn't make it in the modeling world, a size 8 is considered plus size and I'm .75 inches too short. But knowing that I had a chance brought me out of my shell. I had another boost in self confidence when I used to workout with my ex and all his guy buddies and I was able to keep up. Now I'm working to get back into that kind of shape, not bad now but can do better.
This discussion has been closed.