How much strength can you gain on a cut?

Options
Are you able to gain loads of strength without bulking? Ive seen people lose over 65+ pounds and their lifts increased drastically and Ive seen people lift on a cut and their strengths lowered. Also is their a strength limit on a cut? Are you able to bench press over 400+ pounds while cutting? Right now I can only bench 85 am I able to work my way up to that amount without bulking? By working my way up I mean going up 5+lbs every week. And if I am would I notice quick muscle gains due to the amount of excessive strength I have when I bulk?

Replies

• sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes you can gain strength while eating at a deficit. How much depends on how new you are to lifting.
    If you are very new…you may see big strength gains. If you have been lifting for a while…..the gains in strength will be slower.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just noticed your second question…
    no…you will not gain any new muscle mass on a deficit. You must eat at a surplus to gain any significant new mass.
    OP, what about eating at maintenance and trying more for a body recomp? Are you overweight and have excess fat to lose? If you are looking to add strength and muscle mass….you are only going to do both with eating at a surplus.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you've been lifting. If you're relatively new, the primary strength gains you make are actually not due to adding muscle at all, they're from neuromuscular adaptation- which essentially means that your CNS system is learning how to use the muscle you already have.If you're within the time where you're making neuromuscular adaptations you can make HUGE strength gains on a deficit. If you've been lifting for a long time, it's not quite so easy. Long term lifters often experience stalls and very slow progress when they're cutting.