my doctor thinks I am a weird freak now....

Options
1235»

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I would find a new doctor...she should be thrilled with your meticulous journalling.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't see how tracking is considered a "problem" unless it interferes with you performing your other
    daily necessities/duties. I could understand if you weren't making it to work, and were holed up at home shut off from the outside world because you had to keep track of everything in your notebook. But This situation doesn't sound like that at all.

Rare, yes.

A problem, no.

I would ask for a second opinion.

agreed-- if it created an issue in your life, etc. but if it works and it's what has kept you on track all this time...

if it isn't broken don't fix it.

i'm actually in need of a doc so now that i know how hard it is to find a GP i say stick with your doctor, but if he/she does make comments that you feel are unnecessary (often) go find a new doctor.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The doctor is a quack!
  • sophorae
    sophorae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wonder if she would say the same thing if you were a Catholic tracking your fertile periods for their often unsuccessful method of family planning.

Recently I realised that many of my health problems were to do with inflammation.so I listed them on 1 page to show my doc. I simply wanted to know what was the best way to handle inflammation. Let's just say that my doctor who normally is very good left me feeling flaming mad.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    A week or so back I had to see the doctor about a few things. Had blood tests done, all turned out well with those.

Anyway, the subject of my weight and last menstrual cycle came up. Ever ready and tickled pink I whip my little paper notebook out of my purse and ask what day she wanted to know my weight from and which cycle she wanted start date of. I also have notes regarding health, colds, headaches etc in that book.

My doctor asked to see the book, I handed it over. This book has been with me daily since I started MFP 2 years ago. So I have 2 years of constant data about my health, illnesses, menstrual cycles and weight.

I kind of thought this was a helpful thing for doctors to have. Data and all that.

She looked through it, asked how I lost weight, so being a good patient flip up the mobile app and hand it over, she looked at the day's food intake, then handed back my book and phone.

Got quiet and asked why. I could sort of tell this apparently is out of the normal.

I was right. My doctor informed me it was a bit out of the norm for a non-medical field person to keep things like this. I was then asked if I'd like a referral to a therapist to work out my OCD tendency with.

Lovely, I am the least OCD person around. that book is easier than trying to drive my friends insane with constant updates daily of gain 1 lose 2, gain 1, lose 3....fluctuations. Plus its a great way to keep track of how far I have come. It also helped me track and eliminate migraines down from 5 or more a month to maybe 1 every 3 months.

Now I feel like a freak. thanks for listening to me vent.

I think your doctor is worried that you may have an eating disorder. I have been watching a lot of documentaries and one particular eating disorder called EON some of the girls kept track meticulously of food in diaries. Also weighed food, watch fat and carb marcos, and were OCD, depressed or had GAD amongst other symptoms.

Obviously he doesn't know the concept of MFP and what it is about so I think his medical senses are taking over. lol

Just a thought as to why he/she said you may be OCD and recommended you see a counselor.

Edit: I personally think its awesome and may have to keep a journal myself. lol
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have OCD/GAD AND I'm a data nerd. The two are not the same thing. I find it hilarious that your physician is suggesting you see a therapist for your tracking habits when it was a therapist who suggested I start mine. LOL. Tracking my moods, environmental triggers, physical sensations, overall health, diet, and daily exercise has helped me recognize what contributes to higher OCD/anxiety levels and what contributes to better/more relaxed days. I honestly think it's a healthy habit for EVERYONE to get into, whether you have a mental illness or not, and I often recommend it to friends who are struggling with work/school/life stress.

On the plus side, at least your physician recognizes that mental illness exists and should be treated, because there are still doctors out there who would rather tell a patient it's "all in your head" (as if our brains don't affect our body or quality of life AT ALL :noway: ) than try and work to find them real mental help.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    that is weird, my doctors liked the idea that I logged my food and exercise and could track my carb intake better using this.
    the only concern was about the social aspect to not let it detract from keeping active and using the tools on the site as intended.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know lots of guys who track that level of detail about their cars. Gas consumption, tire pressure, oil change, oil color, coolant color, tire wear, and much more. I wonder if your physician would say that all those guys are OCD.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My doctor is has always told me to keep track of all that stuff. Thanks to all of the apps on my phone I can. I would find another doctor. You need one that supports your effort to be healthy.