Help with "Bat Wings"

Options
What can I add to my strength training routine to help reduce those lovely "bat wings" I have them, they aren't half as bad as they could be - but I want to know if there's something I should add to my routine of arm machines to help with reducing/toning?

Thank-You!

Replies

• mrsschwags
    mrsschwags Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should do some back exercises, such as rows, pull-downs or flys.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    No exercise will help reduce them, only losing fat. I'm dealing with the same thing. Just keep up with the weights so they look better when you're done, and moisturizing I hear helps some. I'm guessing you include triceps exercises in your routine?
  • TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    I do lots of push ups and variations, it was the only thing that really helped me (I went to gym in past and still had bat wing even when very thin even with weights and so on, but they were flabby and growing muscular mass in there helped me).

Ah, specially holding push ups

muscles1.jpg muscles worked and hold push ups for me are the most effective
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Diamond push-ups, dips, reverse flies...turn the weights as you lift them, skull crushers. Mine used to be horribly bad and now they are pretty much non-existent, but it took close to 7 months of consistent work to get rid of them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What can I add to my strength training routine to help reduce those lovely "bat wings"...

Nothing, you have to slim out.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What can I add to my strength training routine to help reduce those lovely "bat wings" I have them, they aren't half as bad as they could be - but I want to know if there's something I should add to my routine of arm machines to help with reducing/toning?

Thank-You!

I love this post! I too have "bat wings" and have never heard them phrased like this
    :love: :flowerforyou:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell pullovers! They hit that armpit part so nicely. Mine were flabby feeling from lack of use. My triceps were pretty bad that way, too ;) (This is also the lift that gave me visible serratus wiggles and squiggles. Love those!)
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell pullovers! They hit that armpit part so nicely. Mine were flabby feeling from lack of use. My triceps were pretty bad that way, too ;) (This is also the lift that gave me visible serratus wiggles and squiggles. Love those!)

What are those? Dumbbell Pullovers? Is that when you take the weight and put it behind you over the shoulder and pull up?
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

What are those? Dumbbell Pullovers? Is that when you take the weight and put it behind you over the shoulder and pull up?

Nah, probably. I think you're thinking of a triceps exercise.

I do straight-arm pullovers with my chest nice and high. Scooby explains it well, imho:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/2011/09/26/dumbbell-pullover-for-lats/
    ^^ The page on his site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXoBYmpeh9A
    ^^ The video (also embedded on above page)
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Saving to watch the videos ... hate bat-wings. :sad:
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    if you have arthritis in wrists and one elbow.. cant do push ups dips.. all those type exercises believe me i have tried.. what would you suggest.. i can lift 3 to five pounds but not straight up.. like squat and press just doesnt happen i do squat and push back with my triceps. if i cant do i modify.

wuld love some exercises to do to get rid of bat arms.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    None of these exercises will help much if your diet isn't in check. Start there first.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    diet for me anyway isn't a issue. 28 pounds from goal.. just wanting to tone the last 28 and find ways to work around my arthritis.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since it isn't possible to target fat loss, i would follow a normal, full-body strength training program, without modifying it to target your fatty areas. It's best to follow an established program (NROL, Stronglifts, etc), because these are proven to work. If you find yourself slipping in extra arm exercises, re-read the first sentence. :wink:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    No exercise will help reduce them, only losing fat. I'm dealing with the same thing. Just keep up with the weights so they look better when you're done, and moisturizing I hear helps some. I'm guessing you include triceps exercises in your routine?

This. Fat loss, moisturizing, and good hydration.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    i know you cant really target areas. i was asking in case there was anyone that could help me figure out exercises to work those muscles because of the arthritis working my arms is harder for me.

thank you for your reply.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    i know you cant really target areas. i was asking in case there was anyone that could help me figure out exercises to work those muscles because of the arthritis working my arms is harder for me.

thank you for your reply.

I have to get very creative with some of my lifts because of my back/neck condition, so I know what you mean. I don't know arthritis, though. I was thinking you might use male ankle weights (they go fairly heavy; I use them often) above your elbows and try the pullovers? They'll be much easier that way, but you still could get some resistance going on, imho.

Clearly I'm no doctor or PT or anything, so don't consider my idea knowledgeable! I'm just brainstorming like I do with me.

I use the Gold's Gym adjustable weights that go up to 10 lbs each, and I wrap on more than 1 for various isolation lifts I do for UB, to get the weight on a safe spot for my back (it's complicated). Really pass everything by your PT first, though!
  • Krustpie
    Options
    Do listen to those who say nothing! Good all round exercise helps so whole body is worked. But I have added 10 dips every morning and I can see a difference.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I do a lot for rowing, low row, low back weights, BodyPump classes, I carry shoping bags and nothing has helped to get rid of my bat wigs. I have built nice biceps and triceps but there is no muscle to build on the bottom of your arm..all the muscles are on the top or on the side...- once the fat is gone there loose skin remains..I am just going to suck it up for a while...
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bat wings lol.

have to lose weight overall.

But in the meanwhile, pullups/ bent over rows(diff variations).

This will fix your posture to start off with(droopy posture) and it will pull your chest out more, making your bat wings LOOK smaller.