homeopathy & other wacka doodle-ry.. are you a convert?

Options
Madame_Goldbricker
Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
My co worker is - she tries to force fed me various sugar pills in the name of pseudo science every time I'm sick. Funnily enough the UK actually still funds homeopathic treatment to a pretty penny or two every year ( cheers Charlie!)... What do you reckon? Method in the madness. Or a load of old balls?

*disclaimer - they do reckon long consults help folk i.e. Talk therapy - now that I buy into...

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I usually abandon ship at naturopathic doctor.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Homeopathy is literally black magic. They don't even make an attempt at a physical explanation.

The entire explanation of how homeopathy works is literally just magic.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Meh, i like to try things. It's also why I'm good in bed.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Homeopathy is literally black magic. They don't even make an attempt at a physical explanation.

The entire explanation of how homeopathy works is literally just magic.

Surely you mean "natural energy"
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Homeopathy is very good for dehydration :wink:

If water has memory so that putting a drop of some good stuff into it and diluting it a thousand times works, how come water can't remember all the poo and dead fish it's had in it?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    IN!!!!

For "wacka doodle-ry" lmao.

And no, I don't do any of these shenanigans :P
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    hF601FC55
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Lol - apparently homeopathy has been around since the 1700s - medical practices at that time included bloodletting, leaches etc. If I lived back then I may have opted for the homeopathic remedy - considering the alternative.

Luckily modern medicine has progressed somewhat - but it would seem that homeopathy has not.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Physically impossible. http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/12/17/just-how-stupid-do-homeopaths-think-we-are/

I keep picturing that "Is This Anything" bit from David Letterman. No... no, it's not.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I buy into some of it - I mean St. John's wort (however you spell it) has actually been shown to be a very mild SSRI, but long before that it was a homeopathic treatment for depression
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I buy into some of it - I mean St. John's wort (however you spell it) has actually been shown to be a very mild SSRI, but long before that it was a homeopathic treatment for depression
    Herbal/alternative medicines =/= homeopathy.

I tried St. John's wort, diet and exercise and counseling before I finally admitted that diet, exercise, counseling and an antidepressant were necessary to control my depression.

If these things were as effective as allopathic medicine, Big Pharma would get their hands on it, refine it, bottle it and patent it. They're not.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Woo wooooo.
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ohhh sorry, I thought this was the Sociopathy thread,,,I was sure it was down this hallway.