No clue what to do about proteins

Options
I've realized that I am not getting enough protein. I eat meat at pretty much every meal, not a fan of beans, and can't eat eggs. I don't what else to do. I thought about getting protein powder, but there's so many kinds and I have no clue what to even look for. I don't want a lot of additives or any artificial sweeteners. I'm trying to change my diet to more natural foods. How can I get enough protein?

Replies

• glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cheese and nuts?
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, Greek yogurt...all good sources of protein
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    yogurt (greek has even more)
    cheese
    Milk
    egg whites? (in stead of eggs??)
    Tofu
    tempeh

protein powder is good for upping it.. but i know you said you don't want it..

maybe cliff or quest bars? They are about as close to all natural as you'll get with a protein bars..

Nuts are a fat source.. not a protein source..

High protein veggies:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php
  • 17Delts
    17Delts Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many grams of protein you are getting on a daily basis right now? Secondly how much do you weigh right now? Technically you should be consuming 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. I can recommend various protein powders, just let me know.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There are many natural proteins out there. If you want to stay away from whey protein, then another option is brown rice protein. It is very bio-avail, and relatively cheap. I would stay away from soy if I were you, however that is my opinion. Stay away from proteins with high carbs and fat. For the most part, 80 % of your protein should come from your diet. I would need to know more about your activity level, goals, and diet to help any further.
  • pacmanwaccawacca
    Options
    Maybe try getting a protein supplement, many different flavors and types! I'm sure there's one for you
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    More meat.

I easily get 175-200g and more grams of protein without protein powder.

Ok, I have always liked meat anyway - so having 150g of chicken slices in a roll earlier doesn't seem out of place for me.

quote] For the most part, 80 % of your protein should come from your diet. [/quote]
    Ignoring that a protein drink is part of a 'diet' :)... why?
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    c26-B000QSNYGI-1-s.jpg
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think Quinoa is pretty high in protein for a grain. .. peas, broccoli, seitan, some seeds,.. unsweetened coco powder as 1g per tbsp.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Do you like dairy? I get a good boost to my protein numbers from milk. Lots of people add greek yogurt or cottage cheese to their day to get more protein.
  • jar819
    Options
    cottage cheese
    cheese
    Milk
    Tofu
    tempeh

maybe cliff or quest bars? They are about as close to all natural as you'll get with a protein bars..

Actually they are:

High protein veggies:
    Nuts, seeds, soy products, cereal, eggs and dairy are all good meatless protein choices. These groups of food each contain different amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and different levels of protein quality. There is no need to consume certain foods in special combinations as nutritionists once thought! When your diet includes a variety of each of these types of foods, you can rest assured that you're consuming all the amino acids you need for muscle growth and cell repair.
  • jar819
    Options
    cottage cheese
    cheese
    Milk
    Tofu
    tempeh

Actually they are:

High protein veggies:
    Nuts, seeds, soy products, cereal, eggs and dairy are all good meatless protein choices. These groups of food each contain different amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and different levels of protein quality. There is no need to consume certain foods in special combinations as nutritionists once thought! When your diet includes a variety of each of these types of foods, you can rest assured that you're consuming all the amino acids you need for muscle growth and cell repair.

Nuts may be a source of fat, but vegetarians and vegans rely on nuts for protein.not sure why so many posters on MFP always have to try and correct posters.
  • ktstacy
    ktstacy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get about 70-80g on a good day going off of what mfp calculates and I weigh 139.8 and I'm wanting to start gaining muscle.
  • ktstacy
    ktstacy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can't eat nuts for the same reason I can't eat eggs. I do eat some cheese and drink milk but probably not as much as I should. Cottage cheese grosses me out. I'm not against protein powder, but every time I go to that aisle in the store I get overwhelmed.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can't eat nuts for the same reason I can't eat eggs. I do eat some cheese and drink milk but probably not as much as I should. Cottage cheese grosses me out. I'm not against protein powder, but every time I go to that aisle in the store I get overwhelmed.

never buy in the store. save 50% and order online. Ebay or bodybuilding.com The gold standard whey is pretty much standard proven protein. Its super low carb/fat and taste pretty darn great
  • MadisonRose818
    Options
    I would first recommend trying to get your protein from real foods before adding a supplement. Since you're eating meats, just increase the quantity by about 20%-30% per meal. Also add some snacks throughout the day of string cheese, greek yogurt, maybe some rolled up turkey or lean deli meat. This should all make a huge difference.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Good to know!!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, which has been mentioned.
    Walmart Deli has the "Double Deal." A pound of their lunch meat, I do chicken breast and 1/2 pound of cheese for $9. I do ultra thin sliced swiss. I roll two pieces of the meat in a piece of the cheese for a high-protein snack.
    Also great for protein is Ricotta Cheese, part-skim. It can be made into a savory or a sweet treat. My current fave is 1/2 cup of Ricotta with 2 pieces of Dole Dark Chocolate Strawberry Dippers, blended. A chocolate covered strawberry cheesecake-y treat!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have found that fish, such as salmon, tuna, swordfish, etc. has a crapload of protein and very few calories.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like 100% whey protein (Cytosport - Costco). It has 27 grams of protein, no added sugar (4 carbs per scoop), and 140 calories per scoop. Drink one or two shakes a day (mix with skim milk for an additional 9 grams of protein per cup).

Also, cottage cheese is really high in protein, as is Greek yogurt. Either is great with fresh fruit, no added sugar needed.

Do you not eat eggs due to an allergy or do you not like them?