To tatoo or not to tatoo

Options

Replies

• mandikaye
    mandikaye Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo at 25. And it took me years to figure out what I wanted and where I wanted it.

I'm about to get my second one, and it's taken me 6 years to figure out just what to get. Tattoos are permanent body markings - I don't want to regret it down the road.

It sounds like you're in the place where you know you want one, but now you need to take the time to really figure out what's meaningful to you and what you will still want down the road.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about #1, it's not that bad, I fell asleep during my 8 hour session. #2 & #3 you need to think long and hard about!!!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you decide to do it...

...just make sure someone proofreads it first.

QFT! Thought this when I read the title.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Make sure you get a proof reader or use spell check first if you are getting anything with text on it.

Also, you should have something in mind that actually means something to you. For example, I had a very talented artist who is also one of my closest friends, design a half sleeve for me that has multiple flowers which all symbolize something uniquely important in my life. A lot of thought and planning and when into the design and I still am searching for the right tattoo artist. My husband is getting one this month that is a picture of me done in Pin Up. So, meaningful is key.

Personally I think the upper back, and half sleeve are the nicest if you want it to be visible. If you want something more private, then the side/outer rib cage, hip, etc. are nice areas for tiny meaningful tattoos. Pinterest has a tattoo category with a lot of great ideas for placement.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have 2. For me, they have to be meaningful. I have a gorgeous cherry blossom branch on my left foot that has a ton of meaning - I'm from the DC area, so it's a reminder of home; I had 3 family members and a friend pass away that year so the falling petals represent them; I went to Japan a few months before during cherry blossom season and it was the first big thing I've done for myself, and was in all a very healing trip; and along all those same lines, the cherry blossoms in Japan are a representation of how life is fleeting but beautiful. I did a LOT of research before I got it and found an artist whose flower tattoos look more like silk screens than tattoos, and I absolutely adore it. I've gotten tons of compliments on it, I haven't seen anyone anywhere who has anything I like more, and I'm ridiculously anal retentive about sunblock if there's any chance sunlight will hit it. 6 years later, it still looks amazing even with the light pinks. My friend told me I'd forget about the pain and tell people it wasn't that bad. I disagree - it hurt like a b**ch but for me it was worth it, and I feel like I earned it.

My other one is a book with vines on my left shoulder. I don't love it, but I didn't do as much research as with the first. Placement is a huge key. I'd love it if I'd gotten it on my side like I originally wanted but I let myself get talked into the shoulder since it doesn't change as much as women's sides. But, it is where it is and I can't exactly move it. :-P

From my experience, make sure you love what you get, make sure you get it where you want it, do your research on artists (most have profiles online you can check out), and SPEAK UP if they do a sketch you don't like. They'd want you to be happy with it forever since it'll be on you forever! And laser removal is wicked expensive.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my tattoos!!! I am actually in the process of a gorgeous 1/2 sleeve!! I especially love the look on people's faces when they see my tattoos (I'm a bank manager!).....

When you know exactly what you want.....get it. Until then.....wait!!! It's forever, so you better love it!!!
  • spunk_master_flex
    Options
    If you can't spell the word "tattoo," I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't ready for one.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a tatoo for a couple of years, but I'm still not sure if I should.

1.) I'm afraid it will hurt too much and I will be bloody and crying

2.) I'm not sure what I should get

3.) I'm not sure where to put it

Those of you with tatoos...What advice can you give about what NOT to do. I only have one body and I only want 1 small, discreet tatoo. Therefore, I'd like to learn from mistakes others have already made instead of making one myself. Any thoughts?

based on # 2 and 3, you aren't ready for a tattoo at all. you need to be pretty certain of what you want and where you want to place it.

as far as the hurt goes, yeah, it'll probably hurt. especially at first, until the area gets numb. they you'll be fine. but even still, when they move to a sensitive spot, it still hurts.

THIS ^^^^

You truly are not ready if you can't answer #2 and # 3 and are overly concerned about # 1. If you felt strongly about what and where you wanted a tattoo you'd KNOW and you wouldn't be too worried about # 1.

I got my first one at 45. I have 3. I only regret 1 of them and that's because I went against my better judgment and let my heart make the decision in a time of emotion.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Remember that a tattoo is PERMANENT. It's not like something you can easily rid yourself of, like a house or a car, (I'm making a point here, people) so take your time and be dead certain about what you get and where you get it. If you're wishywashy about either of these two things, don't do it.

As much as I consider tattoos to be personal art, I don't particularly like the fact that people get tattoos simply because: it's pretty, it looks cool (or whatever is the up to date word for the same thing), everyone else is doing it. I believe tattoos should have some deep personal meaning, because, like I said, they're PERMANENT.

Take into consideration whether you want everyone and their brother to see it, or if you want to be able to cover it at times.

Think about how you might feel about having one, and whatever content you're considering, ten years from now, twenty years from now.

Don't get lettering. Just don't. Personally I've yet to see any lettering done that looks good. But if you must, double, triple, quadruple check the spelling, not just one what you supply, but what they put on your body before they start tattooing. You're going to feel like a dumbass for the rest of your life if it's wrong.

Know your artist. Don't just walk into a place and let the random person there do it. Take the time to see a portfolio, if you can, see something they'd done in person. Find out what type of tattoo they like to do, artists will do they're best work on their favourite style. If you feel remotely uncomfortable with the person, or place, don't do it.

Pain will be dependent upon the location, and the person. Anything over bone is likely to hurt a fair bit, where there's more padding, less so. I got two, I'm well padded and only part of one is over a bone. I actually enjoyed the sensation.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me a year ago. I was in the exact spot you are, was scared of the pain, had NO idea what I wanted or where I wanted it, but knew I wanted something that was meaningful. That's when I put in the time and did my research, checking out hundreds of tattoos online. As I did that, I started to get an idea of what I wanted and narrowed the area down to 2 options. Ultimately I wanted it on my side, but I kept getting told that this was the most painful area so I second guessed myself. In the end I went with my gut and got it on my side where I wanted it and while it did hurt, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd convinced myself it was going to be. For what I got, I took a very basic sketch along with another picture that I wanted combined and brought those to my artist who I'd also researched and got a recommendation for the parlour from a family member. My artist worked with me to find out what exactly it was I was looking for and drew up his own design. I had 8 weeks between my consult and appointment to REALLY think it through and make sure this was what I wanted. I went in super scared and all by myself and ended up getting something quite large for a first timer, but I absolutely love it and I know that the meaning behind it will never change for me.

And as others have said, if you have words, make sure you and your artist both check and double check to make sure there are no spelling mistakes. Even the simplest of words need to be checked just in case. I have 3 large words incorporated in mine and am happy to say that there are no spelling errors.
  • mcdgingersnap
    mcdgingersnap Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is going to hurt, but how bad it will hurt depends on the location.

You will have some bleeding, but not a lot.

It is always good to pick a tattoo that could mean something important to you. Your chances of hating it in the future are less likely.

As for location, that will depend on how much you want it to be seen, if at all. Just remember, location also decides amount of pain.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My advice is not. It is a permanent disfiguration. I got one in 1985 and guess what, it's still there! It stopped being cool or meaningful to me a long time ago yet it won't go away. Here's a guide if you must do this to yourself. Mine is in the "I will never have a job that pays taxes" area.

tattoo-location-guide.jpg

I disagree with the lower arms though. My husband has tats on both lower arms, and before he was disabled, he worked at many corporate positions and in education. He simply wore sleeves to work. No biggie.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask then its a no
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask then its a no

^^ THIS!
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Do NOT get a tattoo if you have no idea what you want.

If you are serious about getting inked, you should decide what you want tattooed and where, and if in a year you still want the same thing, then go for it. The subject of the tattoo is important, but so is the placement. Do you want it easily visible? Will certain placements cause problems at work?

You should research to find a great tattoo artist. DON'T just show up at a random parlor and pick something that you think looks pretty. Find an artist whose work you really like and set up a consultation. Be willing to travel a bit if necessary. You can go in and talk to him/her about your concerns, what you'd like, etc. A good tattoo artist will be happy to answer any of your questions and show you his/her work.

The pain is not bad. Getting work done on a bonier area of your body (hip, ribs, foot, spine) is definitely more painful, but somewhere like your arm or thigh isn't as bad. To me, it felt like someone rubbing sandpaper on my skin. I bled a little bit.

I LOVE my tattoo (had it for 8 years) and am really happy that I took a long time deciding what I wanted and researching the right artist for the job. Your tattoo should be meaningful to you - it lasts forever.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    I can't believe I'm almost 47 and still tat-free. For me, my decision not to get one was more of a professional career decision. Something often overlooked by the youth prior to knowing what they want to do with their lives...
    By the way, I have nothing against them, it's just not me I guess.
  • HaleyNorman1
    Options
    I've got about 15 of them, one of them being on my neck, the most painful was on my chest
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    Stay a way from the tramp stamp.
  • Equi_nuts
    Equi_nuts Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have 4. One of mine is a work in progress but has 11 hours on it so far! And I adore it ;d

I think body art is beautiful but if your unsure, don't do itl Wait till your certain.

I got my big one to cover a large scar on my thigh and butt and it has given me the confidence to wear swimwear again as I am looking at my beautiful ink not my nasty scars.

It does sting yes, but it more like a hot pain than an ouch pain. The bit on mine that hurt most was when it got to my ribs, smarted slightly. Good luck on what you choose to do xx
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are permanent? oh oh LOL. If you are worried at all but want the experience and to have one. get in a spot you can cover up. If you are not worried and want to embrace your new found addition to life then sport it like a boss!