Paleo Diet?

Options

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    "...if you already have an unhealthy relationship with food it can sometimes worsen it."

I think I did clarify that well enough.

ETA: Nowhere did I tell her to NOT do it. I said that it is unnecessary and not some magical way to lose weight. Calorie deficit yields weight loss, plain and simple. I also said that it's a good way to figure out if you have a food intolerance. Heaven forbid I voice my opinion and personal experience with the diet in question.

You did. After the fact. Your experience would have been more valuable to the OP if it was complete.
    great if you never want to eat factory made foods. Most people want to eat them, and as it's possible for them to be healthy and lose fat while eating them in moderation, and a lot of people will find it a lot easier to stick to this in the long term than avoiding so many foods, there's nothing wrong with telling people they can do that.

FWIW, I think that if more people were aware of what really goes on in those factories their desire would go down. I don't know if there are any disadvantages to eating clean.

How tragic is it that consumption of foods not processed in a factory has come to be labeled "eating clean?" Last I checked, it was eating food.
    I don't care. But I've had experience following primal/paleo eating and, personally, it only worsened my eating disorders.

I had a similar experience. Was paleo/primal for over 3 years... lost and gained fat on it. Developed orthorexia as a result.

And, cue the fabricated disorders....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    "...if you already have an unhealthy relationship with food it can sometimes worsen it."

I think I did clarify that well enough.

ETA: Nowhere did I tell her to NOT do it. I said that it is unnecessary and not some magical way to lose weight. Calorie deficit yields weight loss, plain and simple. I also said that it's a good way to figure out if you have a food intolerance. Heaven forbid I voice my opinion and personal experience with the diet in question.

You did. After the fact. Your experience would have been more valuable to the OP if it was complete.
    great if you never want to eat factory made foods. Most people want to eat them, and as it's possible for them to be healthy and lose fat while eating them in moderation, and a lot of people will find it a lot easier to stick to this in the long term than avoiding so many foods, there's nothing wrong with telling people they can do that.

FWIW, I think that if more people were aware of what really goes on in those factories their desire would go down. I don't know if there are any disadvantages to eating clean.

How tragic is it that consumption of foods not processed in a factory has come to be labeled "eating clean?" Last I checked, it was eating food.
    I don't care. But I've had experience following primal/paleo eating and, personally, it only worsened my eating disorders.

I had a similar experience. Was paleo/primal for over 3 years... lost and gained fat on it. Developed orthorexia as a result.

And, cue the fabricated disorders....

Excuse me?
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Sure thing.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Sure thing.

What makes you assume (and that is quite the assumption) that anything I wrote was fabricated?
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Garbage in, garbage out
  • Greytfish
    Options
    It's not an assumption. Orthorexia is a nice buzz word, but it's not a mental or medical disorder.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Meat, nuts and berries? I'm in.

No ice cream? Oh, nevermind. I'm out.

^^ This.

Eating pale/primal focuses on whole foods. That is a good thing.

HOWEVER, you don't have to cut out every processed food in your diet to lose weight. In fact, many people live mainly on processed foods and are very healthy. Other people don't eat any and are very healthy. Still, others eat a variety, balancing whole foods with processed foods and are healthy.

Do what makes you feel good. Do something you can stick to.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    It's not an assumption. Orthorexia is a nice buzz word, but it's not a mental or medical disorder.

Ok genius... explain then what happened to me?
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Been healthy low carb for years, hubby is down 85 lbs and kept it off... we listen to a lot of paleo/primal podcast... we like to concentrate on the similarities and not dwell on the differences. "primaleo" for instance we eat cheese. Neither of us are dairy intolerant and we LIKE cheese. We try to eat grass fed cheese when we can. But we don't drink milk because it has sugar. We have been carb/grain free for years now and really don't miss it.

Does this mean we NEVER eat cake at a friends wedding. NO. We will occasionally have a reward meal as it were. And neither of us have a problem just going right back to it the next meal.

Both of us are healthier for our lifestyle change. Heck I have triglycerides of 55 3 years ago they were 185
  • Greytfish
    Options

If you think you have a medical condition, you should see a medical doctor and/or a mental health professional.

A reuptable one will diagnose you with disorders that exist and help you develop a treatment plan for any conditions.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Been healthy low carb for years, hubby is down 85 lbs and kept it off... we listen to a lot of paleo/primal podcast... we like to concentrate on the similarities and not dwell on the differences. "primaleo" for instance we eat cheese. Neither of us are dairy intolerant and we LIKE cheese. We try to eat grass fed cheese when we can. But we don't drink milk because it has sugar. We have been carb/grain free for years now and really don't miss it.

Does this mean we NEVER eat cake at a friends wedding. NO. We will occasionally have a reward meal as it were. And neither of us have a problem just going right back to it the next meal.

Both of us are healthier for our lifestyle change. Heck I have triglycerides of 55 3 years ago they were 185

I do notice that criticism of any of the styles of eating focus on what they seem to prohibit rather than what they focus on you actively consuming. Most of them are very similar in the general thrust of foods consumed, few of them tout that a piece of cake will kill you, and most of them look a lot more like the way people ate before the industrial revolution made processed foods a profit maker.
  • J72FIT
    Options

If you think you have a medical condition, you should see a medical doctor and/or a mental health professional.

A reuptable one will diagnose you with disorders that exist and help you develop a treatment plan for any conditions.

I obsessed about the food I ate when I was paleo/primal... I do not obsess anymore now that I am not paleo/primal. What about that is fabricated? Who cares what you call it?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

It actually falls under EDNOS.

Anyway, I did clarify my information in the initial post. Again, reading failure.
    I have been following the paleo/primal way of eating for over a year now and I will never go back. I was severely obese when I started and I have since lost 100 pounds. At first it was daunting giving up things like sugar and grains but now I don't miss that stuff at all. If i'm craving bread or cookies then I will make it, I just tweak the recipe to make it paleo. Even if I hadn't lost weight on paleo I would never go back to anything else because paleo isn't about weight loss for me, its about cutting out processed chemical laden foods and eating naturally. I would definitely recommend you give it a try.

Rethink the definition of a chemical... everything is made of them...

OP, it's a good way to figure out if you have any intolerances to food, but it works on the same premise as any diet, calorie deficit produces weightloss. If you can adhere to it, good for you, but it's not necessary to do a highly restrictive diet to find success and if you already have an unhealthy relationship with food it can sometimes worsen it. There's no magic behind it and there's plenty of people you'll find on this site doing "paleo" and "primal" and doing them half assedly, like paleo-fying existing food... the reason for eating that way isn't to cram the SAD into a pimal/paleo mold.

My suggestion, meet your macro nutrition goals, specifically protein and fat minimums, and enjoy some treats in moderation while staying within your calorie goal.
  • Greytfish
    Options

I obsessed about the food I ate when I was paleo/primal... I do not obsess anymore now that I am not paleo/primal. What about that is fabricated? Who cares what you call it?

No one said your maladaptive behaviors or symptoms didn't actually exist or that it wasn't your subjective experience. You can call it "Bob" if that's what makes you happy. No matter what you call it, it is not a diagnosable medical or mental disorder.

Not every human behavior that is unhealthy constitutes a disorder or disease. See: the recent discussion of "sugar addiction" for a prime example.
  • J72FIT
    Options

No one said your maladaptive behaviors or symptoms didn't actually exist or that it wasn't your subjective experience. You can call it "Bob" if that's what makes you happy. No matter what you call it, it is not a diagnosable medical or mental disorder.

Not every human behavior that is unhealthy constitutes a disorder or disease. See: the recent discussion of "sugar addiction" for a prime example.

The National Eating Disorder Association considers it to be legit so I'll take their opinion over yours...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/orthorexia-nervosa
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The caveman diet, I heard its SUPER difficult to keep with but has any one had success? I have hit a plateau and cant seem to lose weight, thought maybe changing the way i eat could help jumpstart my metabolism any suggestions or advice?

You can't "jumpstart" your metabolism. My suggestion is to stop looking for a silver bullet and figure out what's going wrong, first.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Like I said before, Paleo/Primal is great in the sense that it's focus is on eating nutrient dense food. IMO, get the maximum nutrition from the least amount of calories you can. However many calories are left, fill them up with whatever you like. If your goal is fat loss, be sure to be in negative energy balance.

Of course this goes without saying... exercise!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    STSP-300-x-250-ad.jpg
    6504113_f520.jpg
  • Greytfish
    Options

It actually falls under EDNOS.

Anyway, I did clarify my information in the initial post. Again, reading failure.

My reading is fine. Go back and read what I wrote. I wrote that you should have included in your initial post that you have an eating disorder as that's an important influence on your personal experience. I did note that you added that information in a later, seprate post - one that someone might or might not read.

And, no, orthorexia does not appear in the DSM V (or any prior version). A named disorder has a diagnostic code. The Diagnostic code for unspecified eatign disorders is, as all unspecified DSM disorders a "catchall" for mental disorder not meeting the criteria for a named disorder. As in some other "unspecified" listings, it also includes cases where the individual meets a named disorder, but disclosing that disorder to the patient would be harmful to his/her health.
    The National Eating Disorder Association considers it to be legit so I'll take their opinion over yours...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/orthorexia-nervosa

That's a special interest advocacy and lobby group. It's not even an association of professionals in the medical or mental health fields.

Again, you should not self diagnose based on an interest group. If nothing else was a warning flag the fact that their information on includes no diagnostic criteria and no published studies should have been a huge red flag.

If you feel you have a mental disorder you should seek a qualified mental/medical opinion. A lobbying group serves its purpose, but that purpose is not mental health diagnosis and treatment.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    STSP-300-x-250-ad.jpg
    6504113_f520.jpg

Winning!