Hobby ideas wanted

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
Hi
I'm looking for ideas for a new hobby. I want something I can do at home. Already do knitting and needlepainting embroidery. Painting is too messy/ too much of a faff to get stuff out. Not interested in jewellery making as I think it always looks handmade. I want something easy to do for the odd hour or so so don't want to have to get lots of stuff out. Not interested in learning musical instrument or language. I like being creative but only interested if I have an end product that I like/ can use.
I've spent so long thinking about it and would love ideas. I already evercise.

Replies

• SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Make your own beer, candles, dolls

Jigsaw puzzles. I like the national geographic online ones. No mess.

Astronomy

Train a search and rescue dog

Greenhouse gardening, aquaponics, grow an herb garden

Take online classes
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Quilting.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Quilting.
    Possibly interested in this. Do you make full size bed quilts or just wall hangings. I've no room to hang anything.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Photography hands down is a great hobby to get into. The skills you can learn from it are endless really. I believe everyone should have at least one great photo of themselves.
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    I brew my own mead in my kitchen. It's one of those things that can either be really simple (add water, yeast, and honey, then shake and let sit for five months) or as complicated as you want it to be (there are a host of more advanced things you can do to it, from different ingredients to boosting agents and all sorts of other crap). I currently have a traditional wildflower honey batch that should be ready for bottling in another month or so, and a cherry/blackberry melomel that'll probably be done about a month after that.

Other than that? Video games. Lots of video games.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What about drawing - it only requires paper and pencil but the only practical use is framing and hanging the end result.

If you have space what about gardening? It could be in a pot or series of pots if you don't have a yard.

Tatting?

Soft sculpture - this could incorporate embroidery, beading, knitting etc

Dressmaking?

Bobbin lace making?

Creative writing?

Read a book?

Anything else I can think of is messy - painting, restoring and or decorating furniture, upholstery, collage, papier mache, mosaic, woodwork, etc
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    winemaking, photography or my favourite, circus skills lol this means i can juggle in the living room, unicycle/ spin poi/ devilstick outside, hula hoop and then there is always playing with fire in the dark :)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You could make websites with hobby ideas for other people :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my hobbys are eating, reading, watching tv, MFPing...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Start a blog.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    explore on technology, such as new programming language, scripting or even digital design or photo editing
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Go on Pinterest.... More DIY projects then you will likely ever need
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Consider latch hook rug making, you can purchase kits or design your own. Plastic canvas items with yarn, all small enough to do on your lap while watching tv etc..
    Scrap booking is a little more mess with more items to store, knitting or crocheting, or consider making your own designs with the embroidery. Then place them on tea towels etc....get a jump start now for next holiday season!

Happy Hobbying!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why not try some more active pursuits? One of the best things you can do to get and stay healthy is to make being active fun. Here are some ideas to try:

Archery
    Backpacking / Hiking
    Badminton
    Baseball/Softball
    Basketball
    Bike riding
    Bird Watching
    Bowling
    Canoeing / kayaking
    Dance
    Fencing
    Frisbee Golf
    Gardening
    Geocaching
    Golf
    Gymnastics
    Horseback Riding
    Mini golf
    Paintball/Airsoft/Laser tag
    Racquetball
    Rock Climbing
    Roller skating / Ice skating
    Sailing
    Self Defense/Martial Arts
    Skiing
    Snowboarding
    Soccer
    Swimming/Diving
    Table tennis
    Tennis
    Volleyball
    Yoga
  • lyoder1
    Options
    I'm liking the gardening idea that was posted by a few people... I may start my indoor garden again... Herbs are one of those things that grow GREAT indoors, and (of course) will add lots of flavor to your healthy recipes! :smile: You could always go down to your local craft store and see what kinds of classes they offer.. I've taken several cake decorating classes with friends that were a blast, and I'm sure they would have a quilting option for you as well!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas. Nothing grabs me though. I live in rented accommodation and so can't do much to the garden. My partner already has it filled with pots.
    I do do active things- just want something I can do inside in the dark evenings.
    My problem I have with lots of craft ideas is what would I do with what I make. Most homemade things look home made. You have to like the finished project and be able to use it.
    I used to be a photographer with my ex so now really do t enjoy that.
    I'll look at pintrest and rug making. Not sure what tatting is but will google that. I tried lacemaking as a kid and that sounds interesting but as before- what could I make and what could I do with it
    Don't mean to sound negative and I appreciate your ideas but don't yet feel inspired.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of plastic canvas? I don't think a lot of people know what it is. But here is an example of something I made a few years ago. It's easy and fun, takes a while but worth it, you should give it a go if you haven't already!

bunnies1_zps9323467e.jpg
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Have you heard of plastic canvas? I don't think a lot of people know what it is. But here is an example of something I made a few years ago. It's easy and fun, takes a while but worth it, you should give it a go if you haven't already!

bunnies1_zps9323467e.jpg
    Thanks. Google here I come!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Any other suggestions.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    My final appeal for suggestions please.