Low fat & High Protein

Options
trulytanisha
trulytanisha Posts: 3 Member
Hey guys!

I recently moved back to North America from the lovely England. I found myself losing weight there without even really trying (still not exactly sure what I did differently cuz I feel as though I still ate like a pig!) -- might've been the I'm-too-tired-to-make-something diet.

Anyway, I found myself steadily gaining weight over the past few months and have gone back to counting calories and keeping track of my macros in order to not go back to the size I was before and to actually try to get to my ideal weight.

I was wondering whether anyone had any great low fat/high protein recipes they were willing to share. I am finding it hardest to get enough protein in my diet...I am not eating too much fat, but I am eating less protein than I should. I know chicken is high in protein (and I do love chicken) but was wondering whether y'all had some recipes you'd like to share? I very much dislike eating the same thing everyday and it would be nice to have a few more recipes up my sleeve!

Happy fitness!

Edit: Oh, I should mention that I'm trying to get my protein naturally (not via powder or bars!)

Replies

• DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You could try eating protein for breakfast, eggs, bacon with fat removed, also you can cook your chicken in different ways, try a griddle pan, the meat is super juicy and season it with paprika and a little ground cumin. Roast it with rosemary and thyme. If you have a slow cooker try making a chicken casserole also, any left overs could be blended to make a lovely soup. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Well, it isn't a recipe, but this should help you out a bit...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

Typically, higher calorie items are higher fat as well, since fat has more calories per gram than protein.
    Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories:drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chicken, turkey, white fish, sea food, reduced fat cheese, fat free greek yoghurt....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and crabsticks.
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Since you like chicken, one of my favourite is a stir fry with chicken, fennel, bean sprouts and peanut butter. Mix in a little veggie broth to make the peanut butter into a sauce, addherbs/curry powder chilli or whatever you like. It's so yummy. You could even add other veg if you don't like fennel& beansprouts. My boyfriend usually adds peppers for that reason.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Lean pork is my preferred protein. You can go with classic pork chops or cube it and make kabobs. I like to use pork, onion, red pepper, and pineapple in mine. I brush the outside with a little honey and soy sauce mixed together and grill them. I only use about a tablespoon of honey for all of the kabobs so it does not pile on the calories the way a lot of glazes/sauces do.
  • clintro
    Options
    This is a great recipe and cheap too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZrRq1xDbDc

Smoked Paprika Chicken Thighs with Potato and Onion

Ingredients

6 ounces pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
    2 teaspoons lemon zest
    2 cloves garlic, grated
    3 tablespoons smoked paprika
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
    8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
    2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled
    1 medium yellow onion, frenched
    Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the olives, lemon zest and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.

Mix the smoked paprika, olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper into a paste in a large bowl.

Lay the chicken thighs skin-side down. Using a pair of kitchen shears, make a cut down the length of the bone to expose it, then cut the meat away from the bone. Discard the bone. Add the boned chicken thighs to the paste and massage to coat.

Thinly slice the potatoes on a mandoline, about 1/4-inch thick. Arrange the potato slices and onion pieces in an even layer on a foil-lined half sheet pan and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.

Stuff about 2 tablespoons of the olive mixture under the skin of each chicken thigh. Arrange the chicken thighs, skin-side up, on a cooling rack and set the rack over the potatoes and onion in the half sheet pan. Bake until the skin is crispy and the potatoes are tender, 55 to 60 minutes. If you prefer the potatoes crispy, remove the rack with the chicken and return to the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
    Advertisement
    © 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-paprika-chicken-thighs-with-potato-and-onion-recipe.print.html?oc=linkback
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Looking at my off-line diary (so I can sort by protein, carb, fat, etc.) I see that lean chicken is the a high protein to fat ratio, which you already knew. In that category there's also shellfish and seafood; cottage cheese; beans; tuna; eggs; duck (if you eat just the breast meat) and, apparently, ostrich meat. Lean beef steaks are are also very good for protein.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Tuna Omelette?

I'm not chef, so I just use

1 whole egg
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1 can of flaked low sodium tuna

Throw a bit of pepper or Mrs. Dash on there and bob's your uncle.