Week 1 done!

Options
Woohoo, that's the first week done and I've lost 2lb ... so happy :-) My hubby is on MFP too and has lost 6lb so far which is brilliant.

I'm trying hard to do more exercise and have managed to do at least 20 minutes every day (except last Sunday) so far which I'm pleased about.

What sorts of exercise do folks find best? I've done no exercise at all for years (besides bringing up my children) ... I've been walking and using the Wii Fit

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Start slow or find something you think you will love. If you don't love it, try something else. If you like to dance, give Zumba a shot. If you like walking, keep trying to go a little farther or pick up the pace when you can and it may just turn into running someday. Try swimming or bicycling. Anything that sounds fun to you and you will stick with while health is becoming a way of life is a good choice! Great job on your first week and fist lbs lost!
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    Congratulations! Isn't it a great feeling?

I agree with the post before mine - experiment with lots of different exercise, from zumba to weight lifting, and you'll find what you enjoy. I personally like the flexibility of being able to work out at home, so I have a few Jillian Michael's DVDs and some weight/cardio equipment. But I have also recently discovered spinning and am enjoying its massive calorie burn!

Good luck on your new exercise adventure.
    xx
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The 'best' exercise is one you enjoy and therefore one you'll keep doing. Try anything that you think you might like just be careful to ease into it as you haven't been exercising regularly before.

If you like walking then running might also suit you, in that case I'd recommend googling c25k (short for couch to 5k). There are loads of programmes to help people get from being couch potato to running continuously for ~30 minutes in around 8 or 9 weeks. They really work and often have support groups on sites like mfp to encourage and support people.
  • ginger_gnome
    Options
    Thanks folks ... my hubby and I swithered about getting a treadmill but have decided to stick to walking outdoors for now. He's going to start running but it's just not something I feel I want to do ;-) I'm planning to get a Zumba DVD and have a go :-) Thanks for the encouragements, I'm really chuffed at how it's going!
  • GeekyKellie
    Options
    Good job :D !! I'm in week 2 myself, and making myself exercise has definitely been the hardest part.

I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. The workout is just 20 minutes (plus a little warm up and cool down), and the videos are on Youtube. When it gets warmer, I can't wait to go hiking!
  • foodfrenzied
    Options
    Congrats! I am 5 days in, and this morning I weighed 3 pounds less than I did on Monday. Is this for real?? I keep thinking the scale is broken. I know it's mostly water weight, but I'll take anything I can get!!!
  • misskuntz
    misskuntz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm finally taking all the health stuff seriously, and in the last two weeks I've lost 8 pounds! Keep moving!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Get your mix in.... don't stick with one exercise. Of course, you can do it more often if you like it, but try to get in a good variety to work all your muscle groups and get in cardio too. I do pretty much everything from yoga to weight lifting. After a while, you would get bored doing to same thing over and over and you want to keep it fun and interesting. Nice start, go get 'em !
  • lesnicba
    Options
    Im just now finishing my 2nd week! I am feeling pretty good about this so far. Good thoughts for everyone today as we head into the weekend.
  • shelleytrickett
    Options
    It is nearly the endof my first week so its going to be weigh in day tomorrow ,the first week hasn't been too bad and not as hard as I expected although I am surprised at how much sugar etc certain things contain,even the things that you don't expect =/ who would have thought pears contain so much sugar lol.
    I have a stepper at the minute as exercise (manual step or expensive plastic stool?! ) lol and I have been using that,when its warmer I will get out a bit more I hope and shall start swimming hopefully soon swell, hoping that I can stick with it and these chocolate cravings go away lol :sad:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Good job!