Always feeling hungry and failing at my diet...

Options
I dont know if its just me, but I am struggling to stay under 1700 calories as I never feel full and always have a craving because of the hunger. I have had 1 full day so far being under. Grant it, this is only day 4, but this is the reason ive always quit on a diet. Eating things like chicken and rice just isnt satisfying unless I have 8-12 oz of chicken and 2 cups of rice. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    1700 sounds pretty low for a 23 year old male, I'm not surprised you're struggling to stay under. What is your height and weight? Are you exercising? If so then you could be eating back some exercise calories and still lose.

Try working out your TDEE, using an online calculator like this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I exercise a bit, but the 1700 is the total caloretic intake per day im supposed to do if not exercising. Even on days I am exercising id like to stick to this. I have been eating roughly 2700 calories a day for the last couple years and want to start losing 2 lbs a week, which is why im trying to stick to 1700.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Consider aiming for just 1 pound loss per week. It's more sustainable long term and will be easier to adhere to.

1700 is pretty low for your age and gender. Where is your protein in grams/day? If that's low (and the MFP default setting is waaaay low, even for a smallish woman) you will feel hungry and won't gain muscle mass.

Thank you for your service BTW.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    MFP says 84, but I am pretty far under that for the most part. My Diary is wide open for yall. I dont really concentrate on the other items, just the calories. I have plenty of muscle under the fat, so i figured for the first bit i could lose a little bit of both and be alright. And thanks for your bottom comment :).
  • MarkTown
    Options
    well, you're used to eating over. Of course in the start you will struggle. I would start by at maintanance in the start and then slowly lower your calories. You're changing your entire consumption so it is ok to crave more food since your body is used to it. Take it slow :)
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are restricting yourself too much, if you are feeling hungry. Try to remember that the weight you want to lose didn't come on overnight and will not go away overnight either. Start with small changes that you can live with then progress. This is also only if you are changing your diet for a lifestyle change. If you want to lose weight for a special event or something then it might be something to just deal with since the weight will more likely come back on. Either way more protein and fiber could help in your meals to help keep you feeling satisfied while giving your body what it needs.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    When these feelings of hunger arise is it a specific type of food you are desiring or is it just food in general?

Cravings arise on many occasions due to feeling overly restricted or deprived, usually coupled with a lack of power in relation to choice and are for specific items (usually the items you forbid yourself to eat)

So, if it is the latter then you could simply give yourself permission to work in anything you want to eat within your calorie goal and it should help with the cravings (although whether you end up actually eating them is another matter entirely.)

If it is the former you could try eating more protein or leafy / fibrous vegetables to add bulk and satiety to your diet.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    Its definitly food in general. Every now and then it will be something specific, but typically its just hunger pains. I am trying to cut weight in general due to me being in the Air Force. I have slowly put on about 40 lbs since joining 5 years ago and its just time to drop it. I can maintain eating just about anything, but I really want to drop at least 40 lbs by July. Thats my medium goal. My micro goal is to be under 200 by mid march. My overall goal is to lose 60 lbs total by late fall.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt be rushing to lose weight... 1lb per week is plenty. theres also no need to be eating only 1700 cals and no exercise cals... i am 5ft5 and 135lbs and i am losing bodyfat on NET 1800...

eat more and then you wont be hungry... think sustainable healthy lifestyle, not diet that you win or fail at....
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Yesterday's diary looked pretty sad, no wonder you were hungry :(.
    I agree with the majority of the rest of the posters here: your target is just a bit too low, calorie-wise, and you could definitely try finding some more protein-rich foods.

I struggled a lot at the beginning as well, but I've found a couple things have helped. First, I spent a lot of time being a creeper checking out "successful" people's diaries whose original starts and goals matched mine: This gave me loads of meal and snack ideas, and occasionally helped me feel better on off days. I also invested in some awesome cookbooks with a healthy bent, which helped introduce a bit more variety to the food I keep around, and also helped teach me some work-arounds to apply to higher calorie recipes. Amazon's reviews are very, very helpful; find a top rated book and try some stuff out. I'd highly recommend the America's Test Kitchen books.

There's always exercise, too :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd also advise eating more.

As far as hunger goes you'll need to experiment with foods that are more satiating.
    Generally those are foods higher in protein/fiber/fat and lower in sugar. Nuts, meats, veg.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Yeah, your protein is all over the place, but even on your high days, it's pretty low. That will cause you to drop weight, but it will also do so by not sparing muscle. That's not something you want to do if you're doing PT and active with your family.

Also, I would lower your carb percentage and increase your fat allottment. Fat will give you more energy and won't stall your fat loss.

More meat, veggies, and healthy fats.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    So everyone is saying I shouldnt stick around 1700? Last year I tried a 1200 cal diet for a few weeks... I figured 1700 was more than acceptable. I will be incorporating more workouts in, I have just been working Midshifts this week, but being military we have to workout. Would it be ok(health wise) if i kept at the 1700 cals MFP recommends while working out?
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    BTW my food diary wasnt complete for yesterday. Since Im working night, I start breakfast at 8 PM and its currently 530 am which is almost dinner time. i added my last meal though.
  • LittleMissYoYo
    LittleMissYoYo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My advise would be to have a great breakfast such as porridge or something with oats. This will keep you fuller for longer, I eat about 2-3 meals a day and have lost 3lbs so far (Only been doing this for a week or so) but before I use to eat only one big meal a day and gained over 42lbs in a year!

Also being a man you should have at least 2000 calories a day, but make sure these are good calories such as fruit, wheat, high fiber and make sure it lasts xxx
  • Greytfish
    Options
    If you want to try to stay below 2000, I would lower carbs, double protein, and increase your fat by 10-20%. I have a feeling, with PT 1700 is way low for you. You want a long term strategy, not one that keeps you one donut away from self destruction.

Your protein goal is lower than mine, and I'm 5' 7" female with a BMI of 21.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    That makes sense now- I work nights as well. You can adjust how your "meals" are categorized under diary settings and make them more like time frames to accommodate wonky schedules. My diary's set up like this, and I've found it a bit easier.

1700 still seems really low, especially if you've got a lot of physical activity going on day-to-day.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Oh, and I would try a protein for breakfast. Eggs. A protein shake.... You'll stay fuller, longer.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 1 pound per week, or half a pound a week. Losing 2 pounds is too aggressive for you because you do not have a lot to lose.

Men should not eat less than 1800 calories a day (unless directed by a doctor). You can eat more than that and still lose weight.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    Alright, so add protein, maybe 300 cals a day and ill be good? I am also thinking of starting T25 to go with it all. I have heard from quite a few buds that T25 keeps them more than in shape for PT test(I hate working out if yall havent guessed lol).