Crossfit.. Is it effective?

Options
Hi All.. Is anybody going for Crossfit? This is the first time I am hearing it.. Really impressive.. Please inbox me if you have knowledge on it.. I have some queries regarding that.. Thanks.. Have a nice day.

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Effective for what?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like Huffdog said, effective for what? It depends on your goal, for instance, If you are looking to gain some muscle mass specifically a good weight lifting routine would serve you better. If your looking for a good cardio only workout running might be a better choice.

Crossfit is a good workout, but you need to make sure it is the correct tool to help you reach your goal...
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you hate hopping on the treadmill, elliptical, bike to grind out the cardio?

Do you find lifting weights fun?

Then go ahead, join crossfit.

You can't just throw down weights/ yell, scream, climb ropes, swing on gymnastic ropes at your local gym or ymca.

Here nobody would care if you go around yelling/screaming saying f@#$#... :D

Think of it this way... this is kind of a 'bootcamp' with olympic lifts/ gymnastics/ weights.

+ it's the type of workout where it's hard to push and do it yourself at the gym, or even with a workout partner... You need a group of people to do it.

Now, as for picking the right gym, there are good + bad crossfit gyms and trainers... not all are equal. Go find one where they 'care' about you and they don't throw you under the bus by making you do lifts with bad forms, etc.

Olympic lifts take not months, but years to get better at. If the trainers push you to do sets to failure even though it's clear your forms breaking down horribly, they are bad trainers.

Go do your research, talk to ppl that go to the gym, read internet reviews...
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just took my fourth class this morning and it was incredibly hard! That said, it was an awesome mix of cardio and weights. Each set of exercises we did worked pretty much our entire body. If the exhaustion I feel right now is any indication it was a good class :laugh: My reason for joining was I'm a runner who is trying to transition in to triathlons. I need to do more weights but honestly I'm not a fan of lifting weights so this forces me to work on that. I need a better all over workout and combine that with running, spinning and swimming. I think CF can help pretty much anyone reach their goals but what works for me may not work for someone else :smile:
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    My biggest beef *in general* with crossfit is the tendency of the WOD's to program highly technical lifts as amrap for time, which is just a terrible idea. A close second would be programming weights for the lifts in fixed levels for men and women with little regard to individual capacity or experience. As long as you're in a box that values form over reps, and you're actually interested in the type of results xfit offers, I see little reason not to try it.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Can anyone do CrossFit? Yes. Is it for everyone? No.

I started CrossFit in September 2013 and have since lost 30lbs. I have never been able to stick to anything like I have with CrossFit. Every day is a surprise and I love it. Some days are definitely more intense than others, but I always feel better having done it no matter what the WOD was. No cherry picking allowed - just go in there and DO IT.

Yes, it's intense. Yes, it's hard. But if you want results, CrossFit can provide them. I have literally been able to see my body change over the last 6 months in a way that I never thought was possible. I have been strict about my diet and that in conjunction with Crossfit 4-5 days a week has provided me with the results I wanted.

CrossFit has also given me self-confidence that I never had before. It also gave me focus and drive that I am able to apply to other aspects of my life. I can't wait to get there after work and get after it. I never thought I would be one of those workout fanatics (though I always secretly hoped I was) and somehow, I am at the point where if I have to miss a day, I am upset!

If you are looking to lose weight, feel better, and be in the best shape of your life, then CrossFit is for you!

Definitely do some research as there are affiliates all over the place. Some are good and some are not so it's always best to read reviews and if they offer free intro classes, try them out. That is really important in order to get a feel for the box and its members.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to message me!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    My brother in law has been doing crossfit for a year. My husband and I have been doing cardio and weight lifting for a year. We've all reached our goals. All three of us continue to work out doing what we've been doing. All three of us had the same goal: to do workouts that we WILL do 5-6 days a week, keep us interested, while we continue to make progress on our fitness, strength and body. Crossfit works for those that like it... it's no better or worse, as a workout itself, than anything else. I know I'm not answering your question about crossfit - but really it's just about what you want out of your workouts and what will keep you exercising for life. Try it out. I think the worst that could happen is you decide you hate it and look for something else. :) Follow the recommendations for previous posters about safety and give it a shot. Good luck!