Any advice for running?

Options
I have greatly progressed in my running since last 5 months or so. I have gone from barley running a mile to running 5 miles....
but heres the thing. I only ran 5 miles once, and i usually take it easy on the next few days running maybe just 2. But its been maybe 2 weeks since i ran 4 or 5 miles, and it has become such a CHORE to even do 2! My legs are heavy, feeling less confident, feeling tired and sluggish. My feet feel like they are hitting harder than before. I feel like my body is 10000 lbs. I do allow two days rest out of the week. I do drink water during my runs. I was sore last week due to some weights i did, but the soreness has totally gone away, and I still feel far far FAR away from running 5 miles anytime soon.

What is some good advice for me to do to get back in the game? What happened? Is it just all in my head, or is this typical for someone who is still gradually becoming a consistent runner.

I'm curious what experienced runners say about this.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I run regularly. Sometimes I have motivation. Sometimes I dont.

Sometimes I aim to run, for example, 8 miles under a certain time and after 5 miles, I cant be bothered. That just happens so I just accept it.

However, my motivation for running has always been races. Do you sign up to any yourself?
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I haven't no, I would love too in the future, i'm just nervous that I don't have the confidence yet for it.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    In for what others have to say. I'm experiencing a similar but less extreme version of what you describe.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You have bad runs and good runs. But the key may be consistency. There was an article in Runners World recently about maintaining your running fitness through the winter months.

Basically, if you're not running three times a week at least 20 minutes per run and once a month have a long run, you're going to suffer after a few weeks.

There are other factors involved that could be affecting it. How you're fueling up, what you're eating, how you're sleeping and how you're resting. If you're not running for more than an hour at a time, then I recommend (and I'm not a professional, this is my recommendation only) either not eating or eating very light a half hour or more before you run. Hydrate normally (a bottle of water a half hour before you head out will make a huge different) of course.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I don't run at least 3 times a week, it's so much harder for me the next time I want to run. During the week, I normally run after work (right now on the treadmill at the gym). If I have too much food at lunch, say we went out to eat instead of my eating my usual salad, I am a slug on the treadmill and can hardly complete more than a mile or mile and a half. I do have a banana about 2 hours before going to the gym and that seems to help me, too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How's your food intake? Hitting your goals? I don't take any water on my runs (unless I'm doing over 6 miles in the summer heat), but I do make sure I'm well hydrated, which starts the day before.

Are you running daily? I've been running for about 2 years now, but still find that I do best taking at least one day off between runs (doing other exercises on those days, weights/strength). Yes, sometimes my legs are sore from another workout, but the cross training helps build strength for my running as well.

And I second signing up for a race. Look for a 5k in your area - all the 5k races I've done area always fun with a great variety of runners and a festive atmosphere. And crossing the finish line, no matter what your time or speed, is a thrill and a great accomplishment!

Did you use any sort of training program when you first started running? Since you've managed up to 5 miles already, maybe download a 10K training app. Zen Labs has a free one called 10k Trainer - it will give you a schedule and get you out there three days a week, and build you up to 6 miles. It's a mix of walking and running at first, which may feel like a setback for you, but don't let the walking bug ya, it's just part of the process.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I find the first 1-2 miles are the hardest part of a run. There's times I get out there and feel like you do, like the legs are just weights slowing you down. This happens sometimes even when I'm running 30-40 miles a week. But after getting through the start-up you get into a rhythm and away you go. Consistency is what will help you with this, make sure you're getting the 3-4 runs in a week (one of those being a long run). Sometimes though you're just going to have to grit your teeth and work your way though to the end of the run. Trust me it's worth it.
  • JaniceKW
    JaniceKW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've recently started a running clinic at a local running store. They say to be able to progress to longer distances or length of time for a run you need to commit to a minimum of 3 runs a week. Also you shouldn't increase the distance more than 10% each week. Too much too soon can lead to injuries. Eat well, hydrate (very important) and don't give up. You'll have good & bad days, times when you're more or less motivated, it happens. Have you considered joining a clinic or running club? Running with others can help motivate you and the run seems to go faster when you're chatting with others. Good Luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • JennaSimon6
    JennaSimon6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! To heavy of a meal even hours before I run makes me very sluggish!! Bananas are great for energy before a run, I agree!! I like to run with something in my stomach but not a big meal. So true!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Could be psychological, like trying to get motivated for training camp after winning a championship. And it could be food related, the long run will have hit your glycogen stores pretty hard and if you don't refuel properly, you can have dead legs for a surprisingly long time.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    What's your current running schedule/other workouts? Could be you jumped up your mileage too fast or are running too fast. Could be a lot of things. Knowing your schedule would help narrow it down.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What's your current running schedule/other workouts? Could be you jumped up your mileage too fast or are running too fast. Could be a lot of things. Knowing your schedule would help narrow it down.
    This.

Plus this
    How much are you eating?
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Nutrition, rest days, SLEEP, and hydration all play a big part. Some of it may be mental...you just have to learn when you push past the voice in your head that says to pack it in, and when it's wise to listen to that voice. Almost every long run, I'm trying to find an excuse to cut it short in the first 3 miles. But, after that 3rd mile....the urge to bail leaves and I find the run much more enjoyable!!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If your legs are feeling heavy while running, it may be an issue with running too fast and burning up your glycogen storage. I would say slow down, run a little slower and just not concentrate on speed but just running for 30 minutes or an hour. I don't recommend using supplements like GU if you're trying to lose and for such short distances. Personally, I run by heart rate and time, not by speed. Overtime, you run further and faster with consistency.
  • texaszeke
    texaszeke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find the first 1-2 miles are the hardest part of a run. ...

This.

Also you might look into signing up for some 5k races. When my wife and I were starting out we used a monthly 5k as a training goal, whittling our time to finish down race by race.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A lot of it's mental. Vary it as much as you can run on time not on distance. I have bad and good days it in the end though comes down to you have to run consistently otherwise everytime you go out it will be hard. Also remember you don't always have to run as fast as you can run slow on certain days. The other thing is make sure you're eating adequately. There is no magic really to run well you need to put the miles in
  • kmoore02
    Options
    I ran my first 5k at over 300 lbs so don't be afraid of committing to one. What I saw on the course were a lot people just like me and some that couldn't even run but were willing to walk it. It's a huge confidence builder and I encourage all new runners and beginners to commit to a race as a set goal.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i'm glad i read the responses to this board, especially those reminding new runners to slow the pace down. i'm going to try and take that advice.

op: i don't have any advice except stretching! if i don't stretch well before and after, i'm toast for almost a week
  • kmoore02
    Options
    It's exciting to become a runner and you just want to get out there and run! But you can't run faster than you can breathe!