Favourite Slang/Local Sayings

Options
New game, post your favourite slang term (nothing controversial) or local sayings, just so we can hear what others say...

Now, I am in Canada, so everyone knows that we "apparently" say eh a lot. In this part of Canada, Pacific Northwest, we tend to say hey instead of eh.

What do you say??

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Pixie Piss.....
    But I think I am the only one.......besides the few friends on here that I have corrupted :devil:
    I really have a lot of odd things that I say though....my own language..
  • vencellia
    vencellia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm in Va everyone say Boy boo or girl boo or child boo lol!! I hate them mine is That's what it is!!!
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Wicked (I think that's Boston??)
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    "You's Guys"

You's guys going out for lunch? What are you's guys doing later?
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    Options
    Pixie Piss.....
    But I think I am the only one.......besides the few friends on here that I have corrupted :devil:
    I really have a lot of odd things that I say though....my own language..

You could share faerie
  • immacookie
    Options

Wikked Pissah :laugh:
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I live in Peterborough UK where everyone says "young old boy" (which is just confusing) as in, "I was out last night and I saw this young old boy I knew from school" - weird!!!

I am originally from Sunderland, Tyne & Wear where everyone speaks really loud and really fast - there are loads I could give you from there, but we are known as Mackems because we say "mack" and "tack" as in, you "mack" your dinner and you "tack" it to work with you - make and take!
    My favourite though is "how man bonny lass, d'yer na wees keys these are like?"
    translated is "I say, young lady, do you happen to know to whom these keys belong perchance?"
  • emilysparey
    Options
    i was originally born in wales(uk) and my whole family (and welsh friends) say 'by here' or 'by there' which means over here or over there, the way they say it sounds pretty much like 'bah there' and 'bah year'
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well...here in Texas we do say "y'all" all the time. My new favorite comes from my partner. She's Canadian but I don't know if it's Canadian in origin but I do like it.

"For *kitten*'s sake!", except that you have to run it all together and drop the "r" in "for" and make the "s" at the end of "*kitten*" and the beginning of "sake" one big "sss"...so it comes out something like "Fush*t'ssake!".
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well since I currently live in South Carolina one I hear all the time is "Bless his/her heart." which pretty much means they are too stupid to function.
  • immacookie
    Options
    Being that I'm not originally from Philly... I don't say this...

But the word "water" is pronounced "ward-er" here. :laugh:
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    Options
    I don't know where it came from but my ex MIL used to say Brar instead Bra
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    Options
    Well since I currently live in South Carolina one I hear all the time is "Bless his/her heart." which pretty much means they are too stupid to function.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do this, but there are tons of Midwesterners that say WARSH instead of wash - VERY ANNOYING!

Oh my gosh!! That is my Mother in law!! WARSH rag... And she also lives in Missouri and says it like MissourUH instead of MissourE). Drives me nuts!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Being that I'm not originally from Philly... I don't say this...

But the word "water" is pronounced "ward-er" here. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I used to live there and I still catch myself saying that sometimes!

I used to hear "yins" alot when I lived in PA too...I think it is similar to "you's"
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Is it a Canadian Prairie thing? I grew up miss-spelling wait. Because it was pronounced "waiNt"
    I was a "WaiNtress" for a while after school.
    Sure sounded educated.
    Words american's shouldn't use: Foyer, (large entrance) Poutine, Aperitif, Attache, or any english word borrowed from the french.
    Sorry but I hear everyone from the president to oprah, both whom I respect, butcher french words.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    Options
    Is it a Canadian Prairie thing? I grew up miss-spelling wait. Because it was pronounced "waiNt"
    I was a "WaiNtress" for a while after school.
    Sure sounded educated.
    Words american's shouldn't use: Foyer, (large entrance) Poutine, Aperitif, Attache, or any english word borrowed from the french.
    Sorry but I hear everyone from the president to oprah, both whom I respect, butcher french words.

Ohhhh! Toque!!! It's a toque, not a stocking cap!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

And Connecticut... that's what I was going to post!

As in:
    "I had a sandwich for lunch and it was wicked good!"

And also, my family in upstate NY says "you welcome" instead of "youR welcome"... so odd! :huh: :noway:
  • hoch
    hoch Posts: 1
    Options
    I live in pittsburgh, PA and the city has its own language - (check out PITTSBURGHESE.com)

Yinz and n'at are two of the most common - Yinz is a form of 'you all' 'Yinz guys goin to watch the Steelers? and n'at is a form of "and that" as in "im gonna do a bit of this n'at"