Best Carb/Proten/Fat percentages for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Wonder if OP got the answer.................after 4 years. I guess we don't read post dates on this site
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with figuring out what the best percentages of daily calories for carbs/protein and fat are for weight loss.
    I have heard some people use 40% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats? Or some people have 30% carbs. I was looking for some help is customizing MFP goals and was looking for some input!

Thanks so much!

Sonia

Experiment with your ratios until you find your own personal sweet spot. We are all unique and very individual.

Personally for me, I thrive the best on 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carbs.
  • brendastrickland1
    Options
    when you stay within the calories you choose doesn't it calculate the numbers for you automatically unless you go in and overide???? Thanks for your post. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    when you stay within the calories you choose doesn't it calculate the numbers for you automatically unless you go in and overide???? Thanks for your post. :)

I set mine to a custom setting for what works for me.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    While losing, I'd go with whatever keeps you best satisfied. Sufficient protein is important though for maintaining lean mass.

When I reached maintenance, I got a DEXA scan and met with a dietician who suggested 40(carbs)--30(fat)--30(protein), which I think she'd suggest to anyone since it's pretty standard.

Now I'm with a trainer to start heavy lifting, and we did a metabolic assessment. Based on what I burn, he changed me to 35(carbs)--40(fat)--25(protein). Again, this is based on my metabolic assessment, and others would be different. But more generally speaking, just this morning, we talked about how it's fine if I go a bit over on protein, but any more than the 25% is wasteful. He said that our bodies don't need more than that, and extra just puts a burden on the digestive system. He said that consistent protein is what's important throughout any given day. He wants me to shoot for the 40% fat and 25% protein; and if I do go over on protein, take it from the carbs.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    staaaaaahp!

look at the date of the first post plz.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    speaking of dates...how long were you posting with multiple accounts?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for you input and for sharing your percentages! I think I will play around with the numbers and see what works best. I personally find it hard to meet my protein goals as well, so I will see what works best for me. I just needed some ideas of where to start and will play around all the numbers to see what my body responds best to!

I was trying Atkins style low carb for a few weeks and it works well, but I dont know if I can eat this much protein!

Thanks everyone!! :flowerforyou:

I've not done Aitkins but you really don't need to be eating to much protein - if you are active 0.7 - 1g max per lb of lean mass is more than enough.

If you enjoyed the benefits of keto then you could continue with a low carb approach and make the rest of your percentage up with fats - lots of sources from nuts, avocados etc.

However if you are keen to get back on the carbs then again aim for the protein percentage to match your Lean mass and then up your carbs and make the rest out of your fats.

Main thing is as long as you are eating in a deficit and your protein is enough (but not too much) you will get healthy loss.

Good luck.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I've just been attacked by a ZOMBIE thread.

6854sn.gif