depression ansd anxiety

I have been suffering with these both for awhile now. Is there anyone out there who can relate?

Replies

• curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Me. I'm on an even keel right now, but I never know when I'll have another episode of depression. Having any sort of problems or issues at work seem to set me off. Are you in therapy or taking any meds?
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Yes to both. I've yet to take medicine but exercise really helps for me.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    I struggle with the winter blues and anxiety. Exercise is a life saver. Sounds too good to be true but it works like no other medication ever has.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Yes to both. Medication, good nutrition, and exercise have been very helpful for me. Therapy is good too. I really believe nutrition & exercise are essential and can sometimes even be sufficient for treatment (thus avoiding the medication route which can sometimes be difficult in finding meds that work).
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Yes, doc says they usually go together. I have had a hard time of it in the past. Horrible stories. But after years of medications I am hoping it is under control. As I recently went off of it. I hate to hear that others have to suffer as I did. If you are truly clinically depressed exercise will help for about 10 min. Then you are back being depressed. A clinically depressed person does not have to be sad. They are two different things between depressed and clinically depression. So if exercise helps you a great deal then YEAH!!!! If you are finding it helps only for a short while, seek out HELP. Because its not going to get better.
  • Me too, more depression than anxiety. Just went into my counselor because the episode has been long enough and strong enough to think that I had to go back on medication (I'm anti-drugs as much as I can get away with it). It was simply a year without checking in with my counselor, hit with some triggers and I'd already started to control it again with exercise. So back on the monthly visit bandwagon and my prescription is exercise at least 3 times a week with a goal of 5 times a week. Cardio is working for me, so for depression, I can focus on cardio (for weight loss, I need to incorporate some strength training).

If you're like me, you can start controlling it with exercise. Cut down carbs, especially refined (so white pasta, white bread, white rice, etc.) because there is a correlation but again, even with a sensitivity to wheat, I don't want to cut them out completely so I suggest cutting back. Increase fruits and veggies. Increase Omega 3 rich foods, like Salmon. And become an emotional exerciser, something about the endorphins. I still suggest doing the other things to get back on an even keel, see a counselor, work through the triggers so you more easily recognize them, etc. And if necessary, then go on the drugs too. Some people have had success with SAM-e and St. John's Wart if you want natural supplements but I've never tried them so I don't know how they work. Also my other disclaimer, all my advice is based off what has worked for me. I can only suggest to try it and see if it works for you.

Good luck and you can beat the depression and anxiety.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Absolutely! I've been on citalopram for over 2 years on differing doses - got down from 20mg to 10mg before having a relapse due to stressful work environment and a friend's baby's death and going back up to 20mg, which I'm on now.
    Been stable for 9 months except for a handful of minor episodes.
    If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I'll help however I can.
    Exercise does help, even just going out for a walk makes you feel better. Just leaving the house everyday for 10-20 minutes will help you. I know the urge to stay in the house is so strong but you will just things worse for yourself. I mad myself walk I to town, down the high street and back home everyday even if I didn't need to go into town for anything. It also helped with weight loss lol
    I would also recommend getting in touch with a local Mind centre if there is one near you locally. They are a great charity and offer counselling for a donation, which I think is great seeing as the counselling services provided by the NHS are very hit and miss.
  • mrsbloveleigh
    mrsbloveleigh Posts: 12 Member
    Yeah, I have pretty bad case of anxiety. I've had it pretty much my entire life except when I was a teenager and then I was pretty pissed off and manic (even more than usual for a teen).

The anxiety came back when I was around 24. It hit me hard and brought along depression to boot. It sucks. I went through a period of time where I was afraid to drive and for a while I was afraid to be alone or eat anything when I was alone because I had an allergic reaction to wheat and it freaked me out pretty hardcore. Sometimes it's hard to know if I should really be worried about something or if it's in my head. I think that's what bothers me most. I feel like I can't trust myself anymore.
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Anxiety and OCD - then they feed of each other which doesn't help. I managed it with counseling and techniques for years but my counselor told me many years ago there is a point I may need medication. I fought that for a long time.

However, late last year I got on a very low dose of Lexapro and it has made a huge difference. It gave me a fighting chance.

Then I noticed about a week into dieting and not eating cr*p, I also started to get out of my funk of sleepiness and lack of motivation. although I had to really push myself for a few days before this kicked in.
  • mrsbloveleigh
    mrsbloveleigh Posts: 12 Member
    Anxiety and OCD - then they feed of each other which doesn't help. I managed it with counseling and techniques for years but my counselor told me many years ago there is a point I may need medication. I fought that for a long time.

However, late last year I got on a very low dose of Lexapro and it has made a huge difference. It gave me a fighting chance.

Then I noticed about a week into dieting and not eating cr*p, I also started to get out of my funk of sleepiness and lack of motivation. although I had to really push myself for a few days before this kicked in.

I was on Lexapro for a while and I found it helped a lot! My insurance finally kicks in on Saturday and one of the first things I want to do is get back on Lexapro and start counseling.

And it's true, exercise does help a ton.
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 123 Member
    Definitely. It's up and down. I am coping with support from friends and family, giving myself double time to complete tasks, setting slightly lower more manageable goals and tasks, exercising, and talking it out. It's manageable for now but, yeah, I feel it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Seasonal affective disorder. This is the first year it hasn't run right over me (hallelujah!), but it's taken medication, a light box, vitamin D, meditation and a commitment to being outside in the sun every single day. One of my biggest triggers for depressive episodes outside of the SAD is chronic undereating. I started a bulk in December, and I think just getting enough calories every day is a huge part of me doing better this year (January has always been, by far, my roughest month).
  • PuckettGirl09
    PuckettGirl09 Posts: 17 Member
    Yes to both. My anxiety got so bad I had to start taking medicine. Working out and going to Zumba have help me a ton.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Yes.