Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs

Options
I wasn't sure whether to post this question here or in the Food and Nutrition category, but here goes anyways...I was just gifted some Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs from my local running store. I never drink any sports drinks before, during, or after exercising. I always just sip on water throughout the duration of my workouts. So, my question is what's the deal? Are sports drinks something I should be drinking before, during, or after exercising? Mind you, my exercising typically consists of a 5 mi walk/jog every day, and yoga every other day. And IF I should be drinking sports drinks, are these Nuun tablets a good option? I like the whole "no sugar" claim, but they also seem to have a bunch of those unpronounceable words in the ingredients. That normally turns me away from drinking things. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

This is what I was given : http://shop.nuun.com/tri-berry

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Mind you, my exercising typically consists of a 5 mi walk/jog every day, and yoga every other day.

For those activities, sports supplements are unnecessary.

An electrolyte replacement might be useful for very vigorous exercise lasting over 1 hour.
  • XgrandifloraX
    XgrandifloraX Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mind you, my exercising typically consists of a 5 mi walk/jog every day, and yoga every other day.

An electrolyte replacement might be useful for very vigorous exercise lasting over 1 hour.

Thank you! I guess I'll stick to my water and save the tablets for another day.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I really like the nuun tablets when I'm outdoor climbing in the heat. I get migraines for dehydration and the nuun is a little salty and makes me want to drink more water which prevents me from getting migraines.

But I never use them at the gym.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

This.

As elecrolyte supplements go, however, should you need them at a later date, they're a better option than some others. You might save them for during or after a long day out in the summer heat/sun to rehydrate.