Help! I have the night time munchies

Options
I have always had a problem eating a lot at night. I will have a good amount of calories left to eat, but I just don't want to stop eating. It doesn't matter if I have 2-3 snacks, I still want more. It doesn't matter if I eat more through the day. My body just wants to mindlessly munch. And I feel so depressed and angry! It's quite funny when I think about it during the day because its so pathetic. Hahaha

Last night I worked the ER and got home after midnight and ended up eating over 700 calories! Granted, I really hadn't gotten enough calories during the day, but then I have to count those 700 calories towards today since it was after midnight?!? Oh geez.

If anyone else has conquered this problem, please give me some advice.

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If those 700 fits into your macros yesterday then it's fine. If not, then just fit them into the rest of your week.

If you like to eat at night the best then leave lots of calories for the end of the day. That's my favourite time to eat too.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I get the munchies a lot in the evening, I believe my problem is boredom, and winter. Once it warms up outside I can distract myself by going outside and putzing around, so I don't eat. I think about food all the time, but I don't act on it, but when the urge gets too strong I just have to go for it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I do this too, horribly. I would make a pan of brownies/cookies and eat half the thing!! (My husband ate the other half lol).

I've found just focusing and staying busy has helped me tremendously. My diary is open if you want to look (or add me as a friend). I've only had one night this week where my nighttime snacking really put me over my calories. I have one snack, then drink LOTS of water. Finding something to do helps a lot too!! Bonus points if it requires concentration AND use of your hands.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have more of a 9-5 schedule, and I have accepted the fact that I am a nighttime snacker, and that just isn't changing. So I always plan my calories so that I still have around 300 or so left at bedtime to allow for my snacking. This plan doesn't always go perfectly, but it has been working pretty well for me.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you count the end of the day based on your sleep cycle and not the clock then there is no problem since your day was low. Food is fuel, your body doesnt really care when you eat it just that you actually do consume it. If you want to eat 1000 calories before bed, go right ahead just make sure that they dont take you above your TDEE or goal number.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My body just wants to mindlessly munch.

It's not your body, it's your mind.

Work on your relationship with food.

Find different coping mechanism.
  • violet791
    violet791 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge night time snacker. I tried a tip from someone to greatly increase the amount of protein I eat with my dinner and add in some fat with that meal as well.

I am a carb-lover, and would easily skimp on the protein to have more calories for carbs. Which isn't the best balance :) I find eating more meat at dinner and putting some butter on my vegetables helps a lot for me. I don't really need to snack all night long anymore. Most nights I don't eat anything after dinner.
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    When I get the cravings I've found that a good amount of carbs helps me a great deal, it certainly reduces the craving... If you can try some of the suggestions/replies most make sense and what works for you is whats important... Try not to get too stressed over it, other wise you'll grow to hate the situation, spend some time in finding ways to manage the issue and become comfortable with either a reduction or a total control.... Changing probably a life time habbit is an incredibly hard thing to achieve and it would not be an over night success, and when you fail to maintain, dont give up, have a rest and reset your focus and start again, even a short time of managing this it has at least reduced the times/frequency and cal intake... good luck...