To have a cheat day or to not have a cheat day??

Options
dngerr
dngerr Posts: 28 Member
Ok so, Super Bowl Sunday is creeping up yeah!! Go BRONCOS!! I have been looking into the benefits of having a cheat day and also the drawbacks of having a cheat day. I need some more opinions, PLEASE!! I have only been on this the new life change (not calling it a diet because it so much more than that!) for 29days and my 30 days of no sugar, low carb (basically veggies and nuts for carbs/fiber) and no alcohol will be up when the Super Bowl is here (well planned I believe). So, I'm wondering do I go for it... try the sugary snacks, have a beer/glass of wine, or cocktail, eat those chips and dips? Obviously, no "pigging out" but do I stray from the norm that I have been on for the last 30+ days? I do journal with everything I eat, but would I be able to journal with a bite here and a bite there? I'm sure I am not the only one that has wondered this so really looking for the input here. I'm down 22# so far in this month and really don't want to lose the momentum but, I would like to enjoy the Party. Thanks!! Enjoy the Super Bowl!! GO BRONCOS!!

Replies

• jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    cheat days are good for tricking your metabolism so that your body isnt used to the same things all the time and starts adjusting itself. i am pro cheat day (and broncos!) Still journal what you eat and don;t over do it, but enjoy yourself!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd just go ahead and eat what I wanted. The superbowl isn't an everyday occurrence, and you can easily hop back on the "wagon" the following day. One day of "unhealthy" eating won't make you fat, just as how one day of "healthy" eating won't make you fit. Enjoy the day with your friends/family and don't be the weirdo stressing over macros lol
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you're hosting, I suggest weighing out your portions and logging them and making a "graze plate" to eat from. When I'm a guest, I load up my plate, take a picture of the plate, and log it as close as I can later on.

Have whatever you want, log it all, enjoy the game! You didn't gain your weight in one day, you didn't lose it in one day, and you won't gain it again in one day. Commit to a nice workout in the morning, have a light brunch, and have fun.
  • gdurham2014
    gdurham2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hit the Gym hard in the morning and just eat what you want in moderation. I think you said it best as this is a life style change the Super bowl is only 1 day of the year. Just stay mindful of what you put in your mouth.
  • bigmo4242
    bigmo4242 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! One day isn't going to kill you but you have to be careful no to let this one day turn in to a couple more. Track everything and don't over indulge and you should be fine. Don't have a team either way for the Super Bowl just hoping for a competitive game.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Its a pretty personal decision, depends on how it will make you feel. Imagine you do eat those things- do you feel okay of are you hating yourself? If you hate yourself it might not be worth it. If you can just enjoy it and go back to normal the next day, then enjoy yourself. Also if you think it might trigger a downward spiral, then don't. Only you really know the answer to how you will react to a day of cheating.
  • eteam4life
    Options
    I am having people to my house so I can control things a little. I am grilling salmon, and making a salad, I have asked others to bring stuff "Pot luck" style and I am just going to stick to my stuff..... I will have a few glasses of Scotch though :) I think it depends on where you are in your journey, if you are feeling like you can control yourself just eat and log it and move on! Lifestyle change means living life, just smarter!
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Sunday is going to be a massive cheat day
  • dngerr
    Options
    That is an awesome idea of taking a picture of the plate, so I can record later!! Thanks, I will definitely start using that when out!!
  • chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    I say have a cheat day, but be carefull and don't overdue it. Have a portion of something and call it good. Don't overindulge in "bad" food. If you have completly cut out sugar and other foods then watch out, you may find your body rebelling against it.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you feel that you can keep things under "control" to a certain extent, I'd go ahead and indulge a little. You can't be walking a tightrope for the rest of your life - special occasions are going to come up, that's the way life is, you know?

I wouldn't go crazy at the buffet table or anything like that, but if you want some chips with dip, or a couple of sugary alcoholic drinks, I don't see the harm.

You could also make lower calorie/low-fat recipes, too, there are a lot of good things out there on the Web. I'm making a low-carb cheesy nacho style soup for Sunday that I think will be nothing short of awesome. :)

My team isn't in the Bowl this year, sigh (they were last year, go Ravens!), but we'll still be watching anyhow. We're neutral on who wins, but I'd like to see Seattle get it, they're usually underdogs and I love to see the underdog win. :happy:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a party and having a cheat day. I am trying to work out a little more this week and come in a little under my calorie goals to make me feel a better about it. But I think a cheat day here and there is really important. I want to get healthy for the rest of my life, so whatever I do has to be sustainable. Not realistic to think I'll never eat another potato chip. Cheat days let me do that without feeling bad about it. And as someone else said, I've read several times that cheat days might help bump up the metabolism, so you can take a little consolation in that, too.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can add me to the "pro" cheat day list. I have one every week!!. Saturday's are my typical cheat day (or free day as I like to call it...but it is just semantics). This week it will be on Sunday. I don't neccessarily go crazy, but I eat what I want and as much as I want of something. Sometimes I log it sometimes I don't. If I log it, it is more out of curiosity of how many calories I ate. The rest of the week, I am staying within my calorie count and exercise. I know there are a lot of folks on here that will disagree with this approach, but hey....it works for me and the below ticker number is all the proof I need it works. So enjoy the game and enjoy your day. Don't stress over the food. :drinker:
  • dngerr
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all your great advice!!