I can run!!!

Options
JengaJess
JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
So this isn't going to be like a lot of the success stories I used for motivation. I've only lost a few pounds. I have no pictures. I've only been a member for a little over a week. But I did want to share my success story because I’m so happy and I want to tell the world!
Back in 2011, I lost over 40lbs in one summer. I can’t say it was in the healthiest or most maintainable way, which I’m learning now. But I was really happy with my body and my progress, especially with my fitness progress. I had always struggled with my weight and I have a rather large frame. I was never able to run, but by the end of the summer, I was finally getting to the point where I was jogging, even a pretty slow run.
But at the end of the summer, I got into a really bad car accident where I broke 6 bones, 2 in my left leg and four in my neck and my best friend passed away. I was confined to a wheel chair for 3 months, a cane for another and had my neck brace on for 6 months. Dealing with the physical recovery and the grief, weight loss was the last thing on my mind. I easily gained back 20 lbs.
I continued to struggle to exercise. Everything hurt. It took me awhile just to be able to walk a mile. I gave up on the idea of ever being able to run.
But I've been working really hard, doing a lot of strength training and exercise. I've even lost 7 of my extra lbs.
And today at the gym, I completed 30 minutes of speed interval training, running at 6.5 mph and jogging at 4.0 mph.
I had to pause after I completed, walk into the bathroom stall and cry because I had forgotten what it was like to be proud of myself.
All of you are so inspiring. And I’m so glad I've found this site. I hope you all take a moment to recognize your own strength. Where ever you are in your life, however small your victories may seem, take a moment to remember every small step that you've taken to get where you are. Whether you've lost .5 lbs or 105 lbs, be proud of your journey!

Replies

• toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and congratulations on your accomplishment! NSV's are just as good as any other:) Keep it up!!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Congrats, girl. There are NO small victories! Way to own yours. Keep up the good work!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome. Great job!
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I hope one day to be able to work up to a run/jog interval. What I'm doing right now is power walk/walk. You're doing great!
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!! What a feeling of accomplishment! You CAN do it!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant! So pleased for you and what you've overcome, well done :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! To me, the feeling of being able to run is the best feeling in the world!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's an awesome story. Congratulations! Having finished a run is a great feeling. A real "I did that!" moment. You should be really proud to have overcome all that and get back to running!
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love this post!! I'm so happy for you =)
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Congrats, girl. There are NO small victories! Way to own yours. Keep up the good work!

This is so true. I have not had your health issues and I cannot run that fast yet - so be proud.
  • 1healthyerin
    Options
    That is so exciting!! I power walk with my dog and he gets me to jog sometimes. I will want to tell the world when I get to the running part! Way to go you!
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It feels good to run. You can run. Keep on running.
  • ravenforest3009
    ravenforest3009 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    be sooooo proud of yourself!!!!
    well done:flowerforyou:
  • degeorgeff
    degeorgeff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    :happy: Your post is very inspirational! You have overcome some serious obstacles and you are back at it, you have reasons to be proud.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    That is a HUGE victory. I've never had any setbacks (other than regaining the weight I had lost), and no way in hell could I run for that long!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options

But at the end of the summer, I got into a really bad car accident where I broke 6 bones, 2 in my left leg and four in my neck and my best friend passed away. I was confined to a wheel chair for 3 months, a cane for another and had my neck brace on for 6 months. Dealing with the physical recovery and the grief, weight loss was the last thing on my mind. I easily gained back 20 lbs.
    I continued to struggle to exercise. Everything hurt. It took me awhile just to be able to walk a mile. I gave up on the idea of ever being able to run.

Whether you've lost .5 lbs or 105 lbs, be proud of your journey!

Wow, what a story. And pretty amazing!! CONGRATS!!
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! Can't wait to share and see more success :)
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ahhh this is one of my favorite success stories i've ever read on here. thank you so much for sharing, i can't even imagine the discipline it took to get back out there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!