Turning 40, need new car advice.

Options

Replies

• pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    <--- just signed the papers on my truck today. Not everyone is a truck fan though. Is this going to be both you and your wife's vehicle? if so, go with the Lincoln. If not, go with what YOU want.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2000 - 2002 Honda S2000. Best car I ever owned, and possibly the best one I ever will own. (Miata's also a good choice, but I don't fit in them.)
  • TheSwollMinister
    TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My wife has a 2011 328i hardtop convertible. This would be my daily driver. I really have narrowed it down to just these two. I would be buying it used, with a certified pre-owned extended warranty.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Oh poor you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The mazda is a great choice- they new ones are subtle with enough flash- my speed3 has a suprisinly stiff suspension- it's stiffer than my bf's old audi... for realz.

I'd probably go Lincoln- only because she likes it and it'a little more unusual looking.

Audi is nice- but they get expensive to maintain.

I'd also never buy brand new.
  • nathan_oz
    nathan_oz Posts: 229
    Options
    Audi all day long, I have the A4 S Line and absolutely love it!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My wife has a 2011 328i hardtop convertible. This would be my daily driver. I really have narrowed it down to just these two. I would be buying it used, with a certified pre-owned extended warranty.

As long as you've got one convertible in the family, you're covered. :laugh:

I'd drive them both and see which one you like best at the end of the day. I did get to drive a Q5 when my friend was hunting for an SUV and I really liked it, but I have no hands-on experience with either the A4 or Lincolns. On looks alone I'd lean towards the Audi, and I know they drive well, but I know very little about the Lincoln.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I would like to very un-sarcastically say neither. We have never purchased a vehicle for which we did not buy with cash. It's not worth going into debt for a vehicle, IMO.
  • TheSwollMinister
    Options
    Oh poor you.

Not quite sure what the sarcasm is directed towards. We have no debt other that a 15-year fixed mortgage at 3.25%, and have saved a lot of money over the years. We live WELL below our means and really only treat ourselves when it comes to vacations and our vehicles. My current Infiniti has 210,000 miles on it and I have had it for 11 years.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Of those two, the MKZ based on hybrid drivetrain and improved gas mileage. The Audi is purely a vanity car with nothing to differentiate it from other vanity fare.

Left to my own devices, neither of those would ever crack my top 20 especially if I were financing.

I see you're paying cash...do what you want.
  • TheSwollMinister
    Options
    I would like to very un-sarcastically say neither. We have never purchased a vehicle for which we did not buy with cash. It's not worth going into debt for a vehicle, IMO.

We are buying it cash.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Lincoln, just because it looks very similar to my Buick Lacrosse. And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that car!! :love: :love: :love:

I love it so much every day when I drive to work I just want to stay on the freeway and keep going! It is truly a joy to drive, and it doesn't hurt that it has a kick-*kitten* Harman Kardon stereo system.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Sat in both at the Auto Show in Detroit. I'd probably chop off my left arm for anything off of Lincoln's floor.

Audi's are really just overpriced VW's. And I used to drive a VW, good enough car but expensive to maintain.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Do not buy an Audi. The maintenance on them is stupid. MAYBE get the Lincoln; it's just a more expensive version of the Fusion, but it's nice. Here's my suggestion: A 2014 Mazda6. Sure, it maxes out at $33K and isn't luxury, but it gets 40 on the highway, handles like a sports sedan and looks like a million bucks.

I wanted the 2014 Mazda6! It's a hot car!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I hope to be needing new car advice when I turn 40, too!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Audi. I like the lines better and honestly, I've heard better reviews of the Audi than I have about the Lincoln.

Also, for me, if I had my preferences, I'd always go with the car with better handling. Love fast cars that are designed to corner like they're on rails. Of course, since my most recent car is actually a Minivan, I don't get what I prefer. But it was a vehicle given to me rather than bought so I'm not complaining.

And that's from a gal who was born in So Cal, grew up in No Cal and then spent another 18 years in more Central Cal (Santa Barbara area which I know gets lumped in with So Cal) before making the disastrous choice of moving to Vegas. Can't wait until I can move back (child and divorce agreement that has me in Las Vegas for a bit longer).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Get the Audi, but get the diesel version....
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

We are buying it cash.
    Yay that's awesome!!! Enjoy your new car, whichever you get!!
  • TheSwollMinister
    Options
    Wow, lots more votes for the Audi here! (and honestly, I have the Audi as my phone wallpaper, so...)

I have driven the Lincoln, and it's pretty cush. Gonna drive the Audi this weekend.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Eh, there's a lot of things not worth going into debt for. A hot car isn't one of them. :)