PLANNING YOUR FOOD DIARY?

Options
Does anyone plan the night before what they are going to eat the next day to stay within their daily limit?
I am thinking about doing this, I might try tonight because I feel overwhelmed with what I should and should not eat throughout the day and I started out strong earlier this week and I am kinda going downhill,,stress is killin me and making me forget at times what I am trying to accomplish. I am thinking that if I know exactly what to eat then I can hold myself more accountable.

Replies

• gdurham2014
    gdurham2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is huge if you ask me, because its so easy to run down the street and grab something quick and easy and to often quick and easy is loaded with calories and fat.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not usually the night before, but when I log my breakfast, I usually know what I'm having for dinner, and I'll add it right then, then I know what I left to work with for the rest of the day.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This is huge if you ask me, because its so easy to run down the street and grab something quick and easy and to often quick and easy is loaded with calories and fat.

It depends on whether or not I am working - if not I just log as I go - if I work I plan it out - I will often enter one dinner or lunch for work but split it into 2 mini meals and pack plenty of healthy snacks (I work 12 hour shifts typically) The bag of food I took to work last night was huge! If I am planning a day out I eat a modest breakfast because chances are lunch will be more than I anticipated.

Also if you are overwhelmed until you get used to the food values of what your are eating - planning is good.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I usually do it in the morning each day. It helps to know what the plan is:)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I do. My menu doesn't vary much from day to day (especially work days) so I think it's easier for me than some others. I've already logged what I will probably eat next M-F and will make changes as they come. I'm not usually that aggressive with it, but I had some free time and figured... Why not?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Dinners are planned a week in advance(helps make our grocery list). My lunches are very much the same from day to day. Im not a big breakfast eater.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my menu in the morning for that day. That is how I control the calories and sodium. I may make a few minor changes depending on my mood but normally stick to what I had planned!
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I preplan for sure, it's pretty much the only way I stay on point. Not only on the standpoint of total calories, but especially for hitting my macros.
  • watchingbella
    watchingbella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find that I actually plan for the week what I will have. I do much better if Mon-Fri I stay close to the same (slight changes). That way when the weekend comes I feel pretty strong to continue my battle ...ok choice of eating better. I bombed today, because of high stress...bummed
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I preplan before bed some nights. Makes it quicker to cookthe next day. Sometimes I do it in the morning.
  • GracieGag
    GracieGag Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always plan a day ahead. It helps you stay on track and is less stressful to be prepared.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Every g**d*mn day.
  • 1healthyerin
    Options
    I do it the night before. That way I know if I have calories to spare if I'm offered a snack. It keeps me in check so I don't consume too much before dinner and deprive myself at dinner time .ALSO, for me, it keeps eating healthy stress free. I don't have to wonder or guess all day where I am and I don't have to log it quick to check. I have my meals and snacks all planned, thus a stress free, healthy day. I have had times where I make adjustments the day of. Good luck! :smile:
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    I almost always plan the day ahead. I don't force myself to stick with it if plans change - it's a guide not a straight jacket - but I like having the paln in place the night before. I'll even plan a few days in advance before I go grocery shopping to make sure I get what I need.

For example, yesterday a friend brought in her yummy home-made chili. I ditched the lunch I'd planned and afternoon snack to have it. But the lunch I'd planned, and afternoon snack (nuts) were there for me today.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When eating my normal breakfast, I plan dinner that evening with my wife. Then I log it and fill in the gaps, as I know what I can plan to have for lunch, afternoon snack, evening snack.

Then during the day I just make myself stick to the plan. If I feel a bit hungry, I know I'm getting the fuel I need so I suck it up buttercup.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Yes, during the week I do plan in the evening for the next day and then pack my lunch. That way in the morning I can get my workout in, shower, and get dressed in time to be off for work. I am much more relaxed about it during the weekend but generally plan around a "splurge" meal on either Saturday or Sunday.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Im pescatarian so I plan my meals since my husband and kids eat different from me. Morning is always greek yogurt with my truvia hot cocoa mixed in. Lunch is usually a Lean Cuisine with more veggies added to it to make it more filling. Dinner is usually the same thing. So technically I eat the same so therefore its always planned. Except for today I want pizza today and I adjusted my lunch for me to have my pizza and I will enjoy every single bite of it! My big thing is eating enough protein and not going over my salt intake. If it helps you to be more accountable then go for it!! Its all about what works for you! Good Luck!
  • HARDEYHORLAR
    Options
    I think it really helps, planning your food make you know the amount of calorie you have left for the day. As for me I make the plan at night, but when am too tired I do it in the morning. Seriously, it has really help me to control what goes into my mouth.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think through things in the morning. I plan my lunch and dinner usually while enjoying breakfast. It works for me because I know what I feel like that day, my day in generally planned and once I'm done eating dinner, I'm not thinking about food. If I'm always thinking about food then all I want to do is eat.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I just finished planning my meals for tomorrow. I typically aim for 2000 calories that meet my macros, then once i have finished exercising for the day I know how much more I need to eat so I finish a couple hundred calories under my goal.