Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Growing up, my dad always ate it with pickled beets. Can't say I'm a fan of that combo, but he loved it.
    A coworker eats it with tuna and chopped up celery.

Personally, I prefer it savory, just some fresh ground pepper on top.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase where I had it with red bell pepper. it added just enough flavor and crunch. :)
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like it with different fruit like apples, peaches, grapes....also i will have it with tomatoes instead sometimes
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I top a baked potato with cottage cheese, and Lawry's seasoned salt. I love pears with cottage cheese also.
    :happy:
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like it with fresh pineapple, peaches, or mango. My mom used to make us cottage cheese pancakes for a healthy breakfast for dinner. For savory, I like to have it on toast with lots of fresh cracked pepper. I also like it with salsa.
  • cooper21120
    cooper21120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not sure I should have started this topic late at night, these ideas are all great and it's making me hungry!
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is one of my favorite things to add because it adds great flavor without the calories. People around here like peaches with it too, I'm just not a fan of peaches. Blueberries and black berries I like too. And fig preserves, but that's a lot of sugar :)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My husband puts Splenda in it, about 2 or 3 tablespoons per cup. I think it sounds awful, but he SWEARS by the taste.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use it as a cheese substitute. It's delicious in scrambled eggs. Makes them creamy :)

This little recipe is also one of my favs
    Cottage Cheese
    Tomatoes
    Avocados
    Cucumbers
    Cracked Black Pepper

Just chop the veggies and throw them in. And pepper to taste. I eat it for lunch quite often. SO yummy! :)
  • cooper21120
    Options
    I use it as a cheese substitute. It's delicious in scrambled eggs. Makes them creamy :)

This little recipe is also one of my favs
    Cottage Cheese
    Tomatoes
    Avocados
    Cucumbers
    Cracked Black Pepper

Just chop the veggies and throw them in. And pepper to taste. I eat it for lunch quite often. SO yummy! :)

Why have I never thought of scrambled eggs before, I'm a bit picky about how food feels but they are basically the same texture!
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My teacher's aide eats it with cottage cheese. I'm sticking with fruit!! :laugh:
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    I like fruit with it - pineapple and strawberries are my fave additions

Have you tried it with apple? What are the textures like together? I usually play safe and stay savoury trying to make myself try new tastes this year though!

I LOVE my cottage cheese with apple and with a dash of cinnamon. Yum!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can only only really eat it in a salad. :ohwell:
  • cooper21120
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried it with a little bit of lemon curd? If so what's that like?
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For a dessert, my favorite is a cottage cheese pudding (works best with a small food processor):

One serving of cottage cheese
    Two tablespoons of sugar free instant pudding (flavor of your choice)
    A tablespoon or two of milk, depending on how thick or thin you like it.

Pulse the processor until smooth. Spoon into a small bowl with a squirt of whipped cream and you have a nice, delicious, high protein dessert. The nice part is that you can make any flavor you like based on what flavors of instant pudding you can find.
  • cooper21120
    Options
    For a dessert, my favorite is a cottage cheese pudding (works best with a small food processor):

One serving of cottage cheese
    Two tablespoons of sugar free instant pudding (flavor of your choice)
    A tablespoon or two of milk, depending on how thick or thin you like it.

Pulse the processor until smooth. Spoon into a small bowl with a squirt of whipped cream and you have a nice, delicious, high protein dessert. The nice part is that you can make any flavor you like based on what flavors of instant pudding you can find.

I have never heard of instant pudding, I don't think we can get that here, which is a shame because that sounds delicious!
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like fruit with it - pineapple and strawberries are my fave additions

Have you tried it with apple? What are the textures like together? I usually play safe and stay savoury trying to make myself try new tastes this year though!

apple -yum pineapple-yum strawberry is now on the to try list
  • danagolding
    Options
    I've never been a huge cottage cheese fan but sometimes I struggle to get in all of my protein so I have been planning on buying some during my next trip to the grocery store. I love all of these ideas and would have never though of about 95% of them! Thank you for this post! I would really love the cottage cheese pancake recipe... I'll have to see if I can find something similar online.
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    also love with fresh basil, parsley or chives:love:
  • cooper21120
    Options
    I found this one early when I was looking for ideas

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-cottage-cheese-pancakes-43072