Is my local gym just pulling a C.Y.A. (cover your a**)?

Options
Thomasm198
Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
I'm not sure if this is in the right place on the forum.

I tried to join my local gym recently. When they were assessing me (height, weight, etc.) they checked my blood pressure and told me that my BP was dangerously high and that they wouldn't let me join without a letter from my doctor.

Now the fact that they were telling me that my BP was dangerously high was a shock to me because we have a BP monitor at home (high blood pressure runs in my family so we have the monitor just to watch our BP). Anytime I have checked my BP with the monitor it has come back as being at the high end of "normal" but still within the "normal" range (130 over 80).

I went to my Doc and he told me that my BP was slightly up but he always expects that when he sees a patient in the surgery (he calls it the white coat syndrome). I told him how the gym had checked my BP (fist clenched, arm bent and held up against my chest). I asked him if this would have an effect on tne result and he told me that doing it that way would definitely give a false elevated reading. When the gym phoned me again today they didn't sound too happy when I told them what the Doc had said.

So, does this sound like that the the gym is just covering themselves so they can turn around to their insurance company and say that this persons doctor has said that it is OK for them to start an excercise?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I guess to me it sounds like they aren't familiar with the proper way to take BP. Perhaps you could have it taken by them again? Most gyms (or at least ones around here) want a dr. note if you have pre-existing conditions, and yes I imagine it is for insurance reasons.
  • Elzarynn
    Options
    Ouch. I'm no gym professional, but that does sound shady to say the least. My advise, for what it's worth, is to report the incident in full to the owner/operator of the gym, and keep your eyes peeled.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like they are definitely trying to cover themselves. I also agree with HealthyChanges2 that it doesn't sound like they know the proper way to take BP.

Since you've already seen your doctor, I'd go ahead and get the letter from him stating that your BP was only on the high side of normal when he saw you and that he sees no reason why you can't start your exercise routine.
  • stonetwisted
    Options
    I would strongly suggest joining a different GYM.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    haha I thought that too but didn't get it typed in, glad you did! ....very very good idea though!!! SO many gyms to chose from too, no point in going to one that you're not sure of right off the bat.:noway:
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    The Doc is doing up a letter for me to say that my BP is normal.

When I was on the phone today to the gym and told them what the Doc had said about the way that they took the BP their reply was that they will have to review their policy because that was how they were instructed by senior management to take a BP reading.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Join a different Gym? Becasue they wanted to make sure you were not in danger of causing yourself an injury?

They were abiding by the Fitness Providers Standards Act that says any at risk person needs to see a doctor to make sure there will be no issues, or to reduce the chance of injury. They did the right thing.

I think this is the exact gym you should be joining! When we run fitness short courses EVERYONE who wants to take part has to show a doctors certificate, even if they are an athlete.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    haha I thought that too but didn't get it typed in, glad you did! ....very very good idea though!!! SO many gyms to chose from too, no point in going to one that you're not sure of right off the bat.:noway:
    Ditto. I would not want anything to do with that gym after this incident. What happens if you get hurt because of faulty equipment or something?! They are going to pull a C.Y.A. and make it look like it was your fault. Also, I would not feel comfortable working out in a gym where I knew I was not welcome....AND if they don't even know how to take a BP reading properly who knows what else they can't do properly when it comes to giving people fitness expertise!! Just my opinion......
    Good Luck! I hope you find a gym!
  • Being in the medical field ... I would say that what it most sounds like is that someone there has no idea how to properly take a BP.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Join a different Gym? Becasue they wanted to make sure you were not in danger of causing yourself an injury?

They were abiding by the Fitness Providers Standards Act that says any at risk person needs to see a doctor to make sure there will be no issues, or to reduce the chance of injury. They did the right thing.

I think this is the exact gym you should be joining! When we run fitness short courses EVERYONE who wants to take part has to show a doctors certificate, even if they are an athlete.
    I live in Ireland, we don't have such legislation governing gyms.
    The problem with that suggestion is that the next nearest gym to me is about a 30 minute drive away.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My first question is what type of facility is it? Were you meeting with a personal trainer and if so, what were their credentials or were you meeting with a consultant. Many gyms (including the one I work at) use the personal assessment as a tool to sell personal training. The person doing the assessment is often the manager of PT, who is responsible for the sales aspect and pairing you with a trainer to help you accomplish your goals.

Some people need the jump start of PT, some do not. It is all a personal choice. You may decide not to purchase PT in the beginning but when you go for your next assessment, usually within 45-90 days they will track your progress and if you are on track without them, great. If you are not achieving your goals then you may want to invest in PT.

Try to remember that most people in this business do it because they love it. Personally, I changed careers from a six figure legal job into one of fitness and nutrition. I enjoy helping people, I enjoy meeting people, I want people to succeed and make lifestyle changes with will have an impact on them personally and professionally. With that said, like with every profession there are some bad seeds out there that are there to make a buck. In this business they don't last long.

Back to your question about CYA -- In this world of litigation and insurance issues, it is often a CYA (not in the "bad" sense of the term) -- but because the person taking your BP and doing the assessment is not a medical professional. So, they have to CYA and get the release from a medical professional. This is also for your benefit. It may not have just been a BP issue but combined with a weight issue so the factors start adding up... to protect you and them it is better to double check with the medical professional. I guess the reverse question is also in order, what if they didn't and something serious happend? Wouldn't you question why they didn't see the red flag and have you get the release? Some gyms are wellness centers that are associated with a hospital, obviously their staff is more trained and more likely to hold a relevant degree vs the big box gym or your small local fitness facility.

I hope that helps.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    like what the other two said join a different gym. when i first went to a gym. they pleased me like never before. i was more than welcome. they helped me with the info i needed and will guide me every step of the way. that is nothing like what i would go for if they told me something else like oh no you cant.

hope you find a different gym
  • Lauris83
    Options
    I've never heard of a gym taking your bp? is it a small local gym or something...
  • Rico360
    Options
    I think it was a sales tactic gone wrong. That's why I don't even bother with staff members at the gym.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    take your business elsewhere. Most gyms will have a clause built into the paperwork you sign that will CYA them. Sounds like they aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Just an update about this.

My doctor put me on a 24 hour monitor and my blood pressure was normal.

When I handed in the letter to the gym today I was told that the management had discussed what I had said to them last week (I had told them that when I told the Doctor the way that they had taken the blood pressure reading he said that they had done it all wrong - they took the reading with my arm held across my chest and with my fist clenched). As a result of this they told me that they are buying a new blood pressure monitor and are going to ensure that the staff were trained fully in how to use the new monitor.

Sounds like I may have lost the battle (still had to get the letter from the doctor) but in the end I won the war (made them review their procedures). :)

They have me booked in for Wednesday evening to go through the full regime that they have worked out for me.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    That is great... making them aware and the fact that they are willing to change their policies and procedures. I would ask them to take your BP in a month to see if they have actually followed through.