Lost a stone but look bigger?

Options
I know this sounds crazy but... I took pics at the start of my Diet on the 6th of Jan 2014. I have been following the Atkins Diet as I have PCOS so a low carb is good for me. My symptoms of PCOS have got better ect. ect. and on induction (The first 2 weeks) I lost 12lbs. Which I know is probably mostly water. I have since lost a further 3lbs.

So in total I have lost 15lbs just over a stone. When I took a picture of myself tonight my stomach actually looks bigger?! How is that possible? I haven't exercised much apart from walking about 30 mins a day but I will be starting the 30 day Shred on Monday.

Has anyone experienced this? Its Currently TOM for me but it was when I first started too so Im bloated in both?!

I don't understand? Started at 13st 4lb (186lbs) and now 12st 3lbs (171lbs)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How are you clothes feeling? Pictures can be deceiving depending on lighting and stance, basically you need to have the same pose and outfit and conditions to get a good comparison. You can try taking measurements with a tape measure too and start tracking that.
  • GoodbyeWeight123
    Options
    How are you clothes feeling? Pictures can be deceiving depending on lighting and stance, basically you need to have the same pose and outfit and conditions to get a good comparison. You can try taking measurements with a tape measure too and start tracking that.

Thanks. My clothes don't feel much different, Especially my jeans. My size 14s still feel tight. I haven't measured myself, I must go and buy a tape. But the pics were both taken in the bathroom from the front and the side with my stomach on display so I don't understand? The area of my stomach just under my breasts sticks out more now where as before it was just my stomach. My stomach still sticks out the same amount but so does the part under my breasts.

If I was to show you the pic you would think my now pic was my before pic! Its not very motivating the only thing that was (until I seen the pic) was the scales. I'm so gutted.
  • GoodbyeWeight123
    Options
    Here's a pic that I took.

Sorry im abit ashamed but its to show what I mean. (First pic on the 6th of jan is black top...I had been painting)

IMG_20140201_4.png
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Do you have any food allergies? Those can cause bloating
  • GoodbyeWeight123
    Options
    Not that I know of. But it is my time of the month but it was also in my first pic so technically I should still look abit smaller by now after a stone even with the bloating if I was bloated in the first? Shouldn't I?
  • GoodbyeWeight123
    Options
    Please does anyone else have any idea?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Bloating, too much sodium, TOM....lots of things can affect the way your stomach looks. If you're losing weight & feel normal, just keep at it and try not to worry. You're losing lbs, so you aren't gaining them on your stomach at the same time.
  • minibandit
    Options
    I´ve done Atkins and is it at all possible that you are a bit...bunged up maybe?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I actually think you do look a bit smaller in the 2nd picture.

Are you taking measurements with a tape measure?
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think the second is smaller, but agree constipation on atkins may be a partial issue.

I have read that it can take a while for us to see our own loss, but others can see it on us.