Taking Care of the Knees

I have been working out 5-6 days a week on treadmill due to winter weather. My knees are really beginning to bother me. Not painful, just uncomfortable. Read on the net that too much incline can cause this. Which I have been using the incline a lot to burn more calories. Anyone else have issues with this? Suggestions?

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    When I sprained the ligament in my knee back in April, I found that the elliptical wasn't quite as stressful and I actually burned more calories on it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    When I sprained the ligament in my knee back in April, I found that the elliptical wasn't quite as stressful and I actually burned more calories on it.

This is why I love the elliptical, especially the Precor machines. Easy on the knees, and I burn way more calories than on any other machine.
  • t73reed
    t73reed Posts: 22 Member
    I have a good friend who loves it too, I just have always loved walking. Maybe need to switch up for awhile. Thanks!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    I thought this was going to be about something completely different.....:blushing: Anyways...Since I am here. Maybe you are overdoing it a little bit? Did you gradually build up or jump right in? Have you been doing any strength training as well?
  • t73reed
    I have been walking for over 10 months...but recently injured my shoulder and took week off to heal...I jumped on treadmill as soon as I could (with sling on arm) thought I was being careful. But I probably got too excited about being able to exercise with injury. Question though: Does strength training make that much difference? My daughter's boyfriend is huge into weight lifting, but he says it's wearing out his shoulders already. So what about the knees as well? Just curious about it all.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    I have been walking for over 10 months...but recently injured my shoulder and took week off to heal...I jumped on treadmill as soon as I could (with sling on arm) thought I was being careful. But I probably got too excited about being able to exercise with injury. Question though: Does strength training make that much difference? My daughter's boyfriend is huge into weight lifting, but he says it's wearing out his shoulders already. So what about the knees as well? Just curious about it all.

I will find some links for you tomorrow....Weight lifting can help strengthen the areas and if done correctly shouldn't be wearing anything out.
  • Slow down and build up more gradually, cross train, warm up beforehand with bum kicks and knee lifts, stretch after every run (holding each stretch for thirty seconds) and squats and dead lifts.
    You can also vary your treadmill work out, ie. HIIT, vary the incline, or do run/walks.
    Go outside once in a while.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Hearing you on this!! Every now and then ill get a pain in my knee, don't know why because I know my forms correct (asked various pts and class instructors)! It can happen on cross trainer, doing squats in power class or even just walking! Strange!
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Agree with the comment above from Jacwhite…strength training, if done properly, will help strengthen, support and stabilize your knees. I'm sure you're over compensating with the sling and that's probably causing some of your knee pain. Plus, I find treadmills, to be less forgiving to the joints in our bodies, than and elliptical, arc trainer or bike. I had knee surgery in August and can use all of those easily, but still not able to use the treadmill. I do an extensive amount of strengthening and stretching exercises for my knees. So, make sure you're stretching, too. Hope this helps. Friend me if you'd like. Always looking to motivate or to be motivated.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    running on the treadmill put too much pressure on your knee ligaments, i too used to run on the treadmill but found that same pain, now i stay away from it as much as i can. Use the rower, cycle, elliptical as a substitute not much strain on your knees, you might want to check out glucosamine supplement as well for joint health.
  • Running every day will get you injured. You need to run every second day. Recovery is key. I'm very light and can run long distances with no knee pain as long as I give it rest the next day.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    According to my doctor, anything that causes knee "hinging" while under weight (especially if you're overweight) will affect the knee. 1 pound of added weight causes 3 pounds of pressure to the knees and 6 pounds of pressure to the hips. Treadmills, Elypticals, leg presses, squats, running and anything else that is weight "bearing" are all bad for knees. Switching to swimming and bicycling will support most of your bodyweight and will do less damage to the joints. -Osteoarthritis sufferer with 5 years left on my right knee.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    My knees have been hurting lately. I believe a lot of it was from doing Squats wrong. I wasn't leaning back into it, my knees were going over my toes. I also run on the treadmill. My chiropractor has me icing my knee's after every workout to help.

I must be completely weird...My knees actually hurt when i'm on the elliptical!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member

This is why I love the elliptical, especially the Precor machines. Easy on the knees, and I burn way more calories than on any other machine.

I second the precor machines. Especially the "free stride" ones
  • t73reed
    Thanks all...appreciate your expertise...Will put it into my exercise regimen...thank you again!
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Ellipticals (if you can find one that actually fits your stride.. all are not created equal) can be awesome, as they are "zero impact".

Also, check your shoes.. make sure they aren't wearing unevenly, and throwing your ankles/knees/hips out of alignment (which can often be felt in the knees first, as the hips and ankles are much closer to 360 degree joints than the knees are).

Glucosamine/Chondroitin/Msm has helped with my knee (and hip, and shoulder) cartilage/pain issues immensely.

Also, possibly look into one of the cardio/yoga systems like DDPYoga or another zero-impact workout that strengthens, tones, and stretches, without pounding on the joints.

Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    The problem with running on the same surface continuously is that the points of impact are the same, making you more prone to overuse type injuries. But I understand that you have to stay indoors. Try varying the incline during your run, and maybe get a second pair of shoes to switch out. Speaking of shoes, did you get yours from a running store? Did they do a gait analysis? In running, it is imperative to have the right shoe for your stride mechanics.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    According to my doctor, anything that causes knee "hinging" while under weight (especially if you're overweight) will affect the knee. 1 pound of added weight causes 3 pounds of pressure to the knees and 6 pounds of pressure to the hips. Treadmills, Elypticals, leg presses, squats, running and anything else that is weight "bearing" are all bad for knees. Switching to swimming and bicycling will support most of your bodyweight and will do less damage to the joints. -Osteoarthritis sufferer with 5 years left on my right knee.

I see you have osteoarthritis, so you are not a good running candidate. Studies have shown that running tends to preserve healthy knees with older runners being less prone to osteoarthritis.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Bump
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Does strength training make that much difference? My daughter's boyfriend is huge into weight lifting, but he says it's wearing out his shoulders already. So what about the knees as well?

Yes, it makes that much difference. If he's wearing out his shoulders, he's doing it wrong. Resistance training helps you hold onto more muscle as you lose fat, as well as helping strengthen joints and connective tissues, and preserve bone density.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Treadmills, Elypticals, leg presses, squats, running and anything else that is weight "bearing" are all bad for knees.

No. Improperly performed or excessive movements are BAD for knees. Anything that creates stress on the knee joint is a STRESSOR for the knee, but unless you want your joint strength to simply atrophy away, you need to find ways to rebuild the strength in them. Obviously osteoarthritis sufferers have specific concerns to deal with, but if the joint has any ability to be strengthened, progressive overload is the way to do it.