Do you count calories while sick?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Last year I had an abscess in the back of my throat, which was probobly the most mind numbingly painful experience of my life. I woke up this morning, and its like the same pain I felt as a precursor to the abscess. So, i'm taking the day off from work. I'm also worried about making sure that I get enough food so if I DO have an infection my body can stomp it out before it gets bad.

So, do you guys count calories while you're sick and trying to get better? Does the deficit mfp gives us have enough calories to adequately fuel our immune system?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Last year I had an abscess in the back of my throat, which was probobly the most mind numbingly painful experience of my life. I woke up this morning, and its like the same pain I felt as a precursor to the abscess. So, i'm taking the day off from work. I'm also worried about making sure that I get enough food so if I DO have an infection my body can stomp it out before it gets bad.

So, do you guys count calories while you're sick and trying to get better? Does the deficit mfp gives us have enough calories to adequately fuel our immune system?
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count when I was sick, but that's just me.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I just got over a yucky cold and I continued to count calories while I was sick. I didn't stick as close to my count as usual though and indulged in a little extra comfort food once I was able to enjoy it again. I went over by about 300 calories one day but otherwise I was a good girl. I think staying conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth and making healthy choices is what helped me fight off the cold relatively quickly.

I have to admit though that I haven't exercised in a week!
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i cant remebr who, i think it may have been songbyrd that said that you need more calories when you are sick (as you need extra energy to fight off infection). i didnt count caloires when i was really sick.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Probably it would be better to eat more, maybe as much as you need to maintain.
    If you feel like counting calories do it but change your goal for a while.
    If you are not in a mood to track what you eat just leave it an do sth interesting instead :smile:

Just make sure you don't eat too much sweets or drink too much coffee - stick to healthy food. Also cooked food is easier to digest than raw so your body won't have to deal with digesting so much and put more energy in fighting the sickness.

Take care :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I was sick a few weeks ago with the flu........ boo. I tried to count my calories but I couldn't keep much down so it was really hard. If you feel up to it keep count, but even if you're not make sure to keep eating! Biggest mistake is to not eat enough while sick!