63 pounds in this year.

Options
Injured myself a few years ago, major back surgery. Well last year I was feeling good enough to try and work off some of the pounds I have put on (40lbs at the time). Broke my navicular bone in my foot while exercising. It still has not healed and I have foot pain when ever I walk. I quit smoking 74 days ago (Nov. 19th). And have added about 15 pounds. All in all I need to lose 63 pounds. Im at 263 pounds 5'11" man.

1. Tracking Calories as honest as I can. Really makes you think about what your eating.

2. Walking 2 miles in the morning and one in the evening after dinner. (On a bum foot and with major back pain.)

Sticking to 1500 Calories a day

Is this a good start and any tips would be great.

Replies

• G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Watching what you eat is a great start, congrats on the stopping smoking, if you can get ahold of a exercise bike you use it that way your not putting as much pressure on your foot, Talk to your pt they shout have some other ideas.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey Zippie2223, Have you had and PT from when you had your surgery for your back? Also, what's the estimated recovery time on your foot? Do you have access to a stationary or recumbent bike?

First I have to say "KUDDOS TO QUITTING SMOKING" That's huge and of course you're gonna put on a pound or two from that. Growing up, my whole family smoked, I was the only one that didn't…guess I was gettn enough from all of them…LOL. So, keep at it and don't go back!

I'm sure the back pain's only worse because you're compensating for the injured foot, so be careful. I had knee surgery and know how that works. If you don't have any PT resources, I'd suggest doing some core exercises for stretching and strengthening your back, legs and feet. When I first got diagnosed, it was thought to be my back and I went through 3 months of physical therapy. Learned quite a few exercises to strengthen the back. Worked wonders for me.

As for your calories, did you enter in your goals on MFP and let them set you up or did you plug in your own calorie intake? Either way, if your exercise is limited, controlling the diet is critical if you want to lose weight…it's actually the most important part either way.

Let me know if you need/want some core/strengthening ideas. You can friend me or send me a message. Either is fine. Hope this helps you out.
  • zippie2223
    zippie2223 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't have a PT. (Physical Therapist? ) any longer. As far as the foot injury, I will be getting a brace in a few weeks. After that time will only tell on how long it takes to heal. Surgery is out of the question because I will be on no weight for 3-4 months.
    Core training sound like a great idea.
    I think if I lose some of this weight it will help with the foot and back pain. I will just have to.push though.