Only lost 7lbs in a month - getting very frustrated!

Options

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Eating about 1000 calories and being a cardio bunny= NOT HEALTHY. Even at 5'3. There is no reason for you to be eating so little without exercising, much less when you take that into account as well. 7 pounds in a month is really good, but unfortunately some of that was definitely muscle you lost. You need to eat more to fuel your workouts or eventually they are going to suck and you are already complaining of being constantly hungry. I eat 1650-1750 calories a day at 4'11 and managed to lose 5.5 pounds last month. I have said this before in another thread: Just because you are a short female does NOT mean you need to starve. It just means you can't put away what a 6 foot tall male can. Please eat more!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Firstly I didn't mean to be "borderline offensive" to anyone. I was just down because I weighed myself this morning.

I don't have an eating disorder, I'm on Weightwatchers & eating what the points allow me. I just so happen to put them onto here to see what it equated to & it came out at under 1000 calories. I didn't sent out to only eat that much.

Maybe I've just read the wrong stories where people have lost loads.

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone :(

But you have lost loads. What were you expecting? You are actually losing too quickly. You need to calm down and really listen to what everyone is telling you.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This is a crazy loss for someone your height.... 1-1.5 is a healthy weight loss... yours is beyond that! I would be happy if I were you!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're frustrated about... 7 pounds in a month is great...
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1-1.5lb per week is what I meant
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree that 7 lbs is a lot in one month. Sounds great to me. I think you are being too hard on yourself. And your end goal seems awfully low to me. Good luck on your journey.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You are not THAT overweight, so 7 pounds in a month is actually awesome, most people would have difficulty losing 1 pound a week when they are that close to their ideal weight.
  • Tony1223
    Tony1223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!! That is the optimum lose for your height. I was upset that I lost 2lbs this week, especially when I only wanted to lose a lb or a lb and a half a week. Losing too fast is no good. If you lose too fast you probably are losing muscle. Keep going and stick to your caloric intake and you will be just fine.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like a healthy rate to lose weight at your weight... Just IMO. You're probably losing a lot of muscle mass too.

1000 cals or less on exercise days, and she says she feels hungry alot. Absolutely she's losing muscle, not fat.

This.

OP you're being ridiculous and you're setting yourself up to fail big time. What's the point of losing the weight in a way that's not sustainable long term? Do you really want to be the person that gains all the weight right back, and probably more on top of that, when you crash and burn?
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    *sigh*. Okay, throw out any weightwatchers advertising you have, and stick with the meals. learn to read the fine print at the bottom of diet ads. "Real results with real people, but not typical of average weight lost on this diet/plan/exercise/etc"

Realize that those amazing "I lost 20 lbs in a month!" are usually people in the 300 and above range.. for whom even that is a bit out there, but who will intially lose weight MUCH faster than someone who is closer to their bodies ideal weight range.

The people on "Biggest Loser" who are losing 15lbs/wk have dieticians, a dedicated gym, a dedicated trainer, and healthcare professionals on standby. You probably do not.

It didn't take you a month to gain the weight, so you aren't going to lose it in a month.

One of the things that really screws up diets is people having unrealistic expectations of what they are going to lose.

7#/mo is great, and very sustainable weight loss.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt be frustrated you should be happy that you are losing that much weight. The smaller you are the harder it is to lose weight. Do not compare yourself to other people because no two persons are the same.

If you continue to compare yourself to other people chances are if you don't get the same results then you are eventually going to start sabotaging yourself unconsciously.
  • newladykb2016
    newladykb2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow! this is a great weight loss. Btw I love the picture of your dog .I am taking a year journey. I have only lost 13 lb. but eating like normal people just watching my calorie intake . I am looking at this as a year journey. If this is not but 52 lbs a year. It is better than trying all these suppose to be fast diets that you put back on faster after doing them. After all these years of yo yo dieting. I intend to stop this now.Been logging daily since the 28th of Dec.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Options
    I'm going to refine my earlier answer. You are very close to the recommended weight for your gender and height:

According to your height and gender, the recommended weight range is between 120 and 140 pounds.

When you are THAT close to what is healthy for your body, you can't expect to lose rapidly, and yet you have been losing rapidly. 7 pounds in a month is fast weight loss. I have a lot more to lose than you, I workout almost 1 1/2 to 2 hours daily, (and that's just cardio, I also do strength training on top of that), I achieve a calorie deficit of around 1000 calories each day, and I "only" lost 2.9 pounds in January. Interestingly I lost over 4 pounds this week, but my weight spiked inexplicably in mid January and then came back down so my total loss for the month was 2.9.

I'm not upset about that. I've been losing weight long enough to know that there are ups, downs, and stalls in weight loss. I've also been losing long enough to know that huge, rapid amounts of weight loss are usually just water and muscle, leaving the fat pretty much untouched.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You don't have so much to lose. People who have more than 50 pounds to lose will drop it quicker. Once you get within 20 pounds of your goal weight, it will get even slower. Sorry, but you are going to have to be diligent, but most importantly PATIENT! 7 pounds is good. By May you will be more than 25 pounds down at that rate! Good luck at the weight loss and the patience thing. :)
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    7 pounds is good! don't lose to fast. You may get loose skin. Just continue doing what you are doing and you'll see more results soon.

It took me almost 4 years to lose 145 pounds. Be thankful you don't have that much to lose!
  • RJB004
    RJB004 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are actually doing really well. Seven lbs in a month is nearly 2 lbs a week. That is a healthy weight loss. Especially for someone who doesn't have a ton to lose. Keep it up!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am kind of confused. If you follow the WW member and follow their rules, why are you here at MFP ? I would decide that it is one or the other and also not compare myself with others.
    Also losing 7 pounds in a month is spectacular ! Anything more is not realistic, apart from not being healthy...
  • ThriceBlessed
    Options
    Hate fruits & vegetables (always have since I was child) so have been juicing them to get some goodness into me because I know it's not right that I don't eat many of them (although I have discovered a LOVE for butternut squash).

To try & explain my frustration, at my work leaving do a couple of months ago I was called a fat c*** by a complete stranger & although I know I shouldn't let an idiot get to me, it has.

I want to lose as much weight as possible so no else thinks I am fat because now I think that's what everyone who looks at me is thinking.

Why would you let the opinion of a total stranger influence you so much? Does it really matter what that stranger thinks? You don't know if that stranger has a realistic idea of what a healthy weight is. You don't know if that stranger prefers that women look like anorexics. You don't know if maybe that stranger was just having a rotten day and hurled completely unjustified insults your way out of frustration.

Once, when I weighed 145 (a long time ago, I was 18 at the time I think), someone commented that I was getting "chunky". Well, that started me on a crash diet roller coaster that in the end only fulfilled the fear of being fat. I look now at my height and weight and body type and see that 145 was about as low as I EVER should weigh, and yet I let a comment from someone with unrealistic expectations throw me through a loop and ruin my normal, healthy, mindset towards food.

Don't make the same mistake.
  • Amethysta79
    Amethysta79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the people giving me encouraging messages.

I didn't realise I wasn't being realistic with my ideals.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    everyone has said what i thought right away, which was " but seven pounds in a month is great!" but what they haven't been telling you is that when you lose weight at a rate that is in the 1-2 pounds a week mark it's usually an indicator of how effective the loss will be.

what i mean is that if you drop 12 pounds in a week- it's likely water weight and will come right back
    when you have a slow and steady loss of 1-2 pounds per week you are much more likely to get more than just superficial scale results. which basically means, you're more llikely to KEEP that slow and steady loss OFF once it's gone. rather than battling a scale that fluctuates wildly month after month.

hope this helps.
    and DONT lose heart!!