30 Day Shred!

Options
I'm starting Gilliam Michael's 30 Day Shred with one of my fellow MFPers today.

Has anyone got any advice? Have any experiences to share? Good and bad?

Going to do before and after photos and measurements too.

Replies

• Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • thereallucylastix
    thereallucylastix Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is great. It was the first workout video I ever did and I definitely saw results. I did gain a few pounds but lost inches and definitely started to get muscle definition which was a great motivator. The extra pounds disappeared after a few days of not doing it anymore so I'm guessing this was water weight from putting my muscles through the workout each day.

I think, as with any exercise, you need to push yourself, but be mindful of injury. Some of it can be hard on the knees - if you find your joints hurt just do some push ups or planks instead when they come around. This happened to me a couple of times, but a few days avoiding the high impact exercises soon sorted me out. Concentrate on form, and within a few days you'll see big improvements in strength, fitness and stamina. I always found it helped to concentrate on the muscle I was trying to work out. For example, the muscles on the front of my thighs are already quite strong (honestly, I have no idea why....), so I had to be careful not to overwork those in squat moves. Concentrating on flexing and firing up my hamstrings and glutes helped enormously and forced me into better form. I did actually google correct form for a few of the exercises but she does talk a lot about form throughout the DVD.

As far as the DVD goes, I personally don't have a problem with Gillian (she drives some people mad!), but by the time I got halfway through each of the workouts I found myself getting irritated by her running commentary so opted for the silent version and played my own music. Big mistake. Her grating words are actually quite motivating, and let you know where you are in the workout, even to the point where you find yourself measuring your performance based on how you feel at certain points in the DVD compared to other days. So I just switched it up and started back chatting her when she annoyed me. I won't lie, the air got quite blue at times, but it's a great release and made me perform better (but maybe that's just me!)

Great video - I highly recommend it. Last piece of advice would be ignore the scales and take regular measurements - the two don't actually go hand in hand at all.

Best of luck with it! Let us know how you get on.
  • lbeth27
    Options
    I just started 30 day shred 2 weeks ago, and I am now on Level 2 day 3! I have loved it so far, and have already seen results! So far, I've lost a little weight from doing that, counting my calories, and starting c25k! I can also start to see a little muscle definition in my abs and arms! There are parts of the exercise that are difficult, and you will be sore the first few days, but if you follow the modified version and really push through you can do it! The best part is it's only 20 minutes!
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I like the idea of giving Gilly a bit of backchat!! :laugh:
  • toniaemilys
    toniaemilys Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I plan to start tomorrow! Let me know how it goes for you all. :)
  • FitBritt333
    FitBritt333 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just done level 1 day 2 hope to see great results!
  • hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is great. It was the first workout video I ever did and I definitely saw results. I did gain a few pounds but lost inches and definitely started to get muscle definition which was a great motivator. The extra pounds disappeared after a few days of not doing it anymore so I'm guessing this was water weight from putting my muscles through the workout each day.

I think, as with any exercise, you need to push yourself, but be mindful of injury. Some of it can be hard on the knees - if you find your joints hurt just do some push ups or planks instead when they come around. This happened to me a couple of times, but a few days avoiding the high impact exercises soon sorted me out. Concentrate on form, and within a few days you'll see big improvements in strength, fitness and stamina. I always found it helped to concentrate on the muscle I was trying to work out. For example, the muscles on the front of my thighs are already quite strong (honestly, I have no idea why....), so I had to be careful not to overwork those in squat moves. Concentrating on flexing and firing up my hamstrings and glutes helped enormously and forced me into better form. I did actually google correct form for a few of the exercises but she does talk a lot about form throughout the DVD.

As far as the DVD goes, I personally don't have a problem with Gillian (she drives some people mad!), but by the time I got halfway through each of the workouts I found myself getting irritated by her running commentary so opted for the silent version and played my own music. Big mistake. Her grating words are actually quite motivating, and let you know where you are in the workout, even to the point where you find yourself measuring your performance based on how you feel at certain points in the DVD compared to other days. So I just switched it up and started back chatting her when she annoyed me. I won't lie, the air got quite blue at times, but it's a great release and made me perform better (but maybe that's just me!)

Great video - I highly recommend it. Last piece of advice would be ignore the scales and take regular measurements - the two don't actually go hand in hand at all.

Best of luck with it! Let us know how you get on.

^^^^ everything she said! I've tried alot of different DVDs (p90x, insanity, brazil butt lift, yoga, harley pasternak, taebo) and this is the first one I actually see results with and i love it because the workouts are only 25 min long! :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's Jillian. Finished 30DS. Now onto Ripped in 30. Love them both. Results-yes!