significant weight loss and using MFP

Options
Dear MyFitnesspal friends,

I'm now ready to kick *kitten* on this weight loss thing. I've recently gained a significant amount of weight and it's really uncomfortable.

Although I registered with MFP a while ago I never used the site, so I've posted today to look for help.

I want to lose 165lbs.

How does MFP work? Has anyone ever lost such a huge amount of weight using MFP?

Thank you for your replies!

Replies

• djones209
    djones209 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Go to the before and after pics. You will be amazed! You can do it if your heart and your head are in the right way for really doing this.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    UMMMM yeah people have lost weight here...

MFP is a great tool and if you use it correctly and do the work you will see results.

However, it is not a magic solution, just a tool. THe majority of the real work comes from you!

Good luck to you!

I think this says it best!!!!!
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    UMMMM yeah people have lost weight here...

MFP is a great tool and if you use it correctly and do the work you will see results.

However, it is not a magic solution, just a tool. THe majority of the real work comes from you!

Good luck to you!

Yes, what you say isn't rocket science ... the work (100% of it) comes from me and I don't recall anyone saying it was a magic tool, after all it's an internet site; I was also asking how it (MPF) works .....
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Has anyone ever lost such a huge amount of weight using MFP?

Has already been answered .. but I also asked ...

How does MFP work?

Thanks MPF Friends! :-)
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Go to the before and after pics. You will be amazed! You can do it if your heart and your head are in the right way for really doing this.

P.S. - thanks for the replies everyone!

Where can I find these before and after pictures?

Cheers dears!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Go to the success stories group of message boards. Lots of success stories with photos of people who have lost significant amounts of weight. They are very inspirational.

How MFP works is very simple - you provide info like age, height, weight, gender, activity level and mfp figures out how many calories you should eat per day to achieve that goal. Log your exercise and it will add calories to your daily quota. For example, MFP estimates my maintenance calories at 2300. To lose 2lbs per week it recommends I eat 1300 calories per day. If I burn 300 calories doing exercise it will give me 1600 calories for that day. Eat to stay within that calorie goal.

A couple of words of warning -
    MFP estimates from exercise seem to be high. When I compare the MFP calories burned to what my HRM reads there are significant differences. I override the MFP burn with what my HRM says.
    MFP provides recommended macro nutrients like protein, carbs, etc based on your calories. You might need to tweek these for your body.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Go to the success stories group of message boards. Lots of success stories with photos of people who have lost significant amounts of weight. They are very inspirational.

How MFP works is very simple - you provide info like age, height, weight, gender, activity level and mfp figures out how many calories you should eat per day to achieve that goal. Log your exercise and it will add calories to your daily quota. For example, MFP estimates my maintenance calories at 2300. To lose 2lbs per week it recommends I eat 1300 calories per day. If I burn 300 calories doing exercise it will give me 1600 calories for that day. Eat to stay within that calorie goal.

MFP estimates from exercise seem to be high. When I compare the MFP calories burned to what my HRM reads there are significant differences. I override the MFP burn with what my HRM says.
    MFP provides recommended macro nutrients like protein, carbs, etc based on your calories. You might need to tweek these for your body.

Thank you.

I just eat what I've been given , cool. thanks. I'm going to take a look.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

Hi,

Sorry to appear stupid, but is "Net Calories Consumed* / Day" the goal calories I'm supposed to be consuming per day?

Thanks in advance!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to appear stupid, but is "Net Calories Consumed* / Day" the goal calories I'm supposed to be consuming per day?

Thanks in advance!

MFP has a useful set of help pages (available via the "Help" link at the top of every page):
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/

Net calories are addressed here:
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-

Basically, your net calories equal your total calories eaten (gross calories, though I hope your food isn't gross!) minus your exercise calories. Just keep in mind, as Sue already said, that MFP often overestimates calories burned by exercise. A lot of people start by logging only 50% or 75% of the calories that MFP claims they burned.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the success stories, or just look around the forums many people have lost incredible amounts.

MFP is very easy, start logging everything what you need to learn here is to be brutally honest with yourself (that might not be so easy but you'll be happy you were in the long run). Don't worry about cutting out food groups or any of that, just log your food for a week so just how much you are eating and start getting used to the habit of doing it. Remember you are building habits because motivation will come and go, you need good habits!

So after a week of logging, now you have some information you know how to log, you know what you are eating. This is when you need to work on figuring out a REASONABLE calorie deficit. Do this you log everything accurately and as honestly as possible for 1 full week, in 1 week send me a message and I will help you figure out your BMR, TDEE and all kinds of fun numbers.

The other thing you need to constantly work on is telling yourself you CAN do this, it will take time, but you CAN and WILL reach your goals.