The Next Challenge- Holiday Without Gaining Weight

Options
Having got through dry January without consuming a drop of alcohol, having reduced my calorie intake and lost 4kgs, I am now off on holiday for a week.
I am at the airport and have still not touched the alcohol...I really cannot remember the last time this happened.
Had a cappuccino and sandwich and still managed to record the calories in MFP.
I am used to exercising on holiday but not used to counting calories or worrying about how much I drink.
If anyone is interested I plan to update MFP each day to highlight the strategy and the results.
Travelling today so it should not be too difficult to stick to the plan.
More tomorrow
P

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Have a lovely holiday, keep us posted :smile:
  • psykins
    Options
    I'm trying no alcohol for a month, and I think it's definitely helping with my weight loss. I also feel way less bloated than when I drink. I might start up again, but I was sick of having to have three drinks just to get buzzed!

Congrats on making it a month, hope to see the updates!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Have a great time. My strategy on holiday is lots of exercise. I will use the hotel gym, or buy day passes for a local gym and get a morning workout while my better half sleeps in. Failing that, lots of walking. On my profile page, I photographed every piece of cardio equipment I used during my last holiday. The Carribean view from two ellipticals, one treadmill and one plunge pool for swimming laps.
  • peliasuk
    peliasuk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THE POST HOLIDAY RESULT

The first thing I want to say is we had a great time....that is what holidays are all about, right?

EXERCISE
    From a calorie intake point of view some days were naughtier than others, but when I had a naughty day I tried to compensate with extra exercise the following day.

We stayed at a Sheraton and the gym facilities were really good. We are naturally early risers so each day between 7 and 7.30 we did between 45 minutes and an hours cardio in the gym, which included elements of Pilates.

At about 4pm, after lazing by the pool, we would head off for a brisk walk. Most days this would be an hour but sometimes longer.

Our room was on the fifth floor, which needed 80 steps to ascend. On average I climbed the 80 steps 6 times a day. I think we under estimate the benefits of a fast climb up stairs.

FOOD
    My wife has always been totally in control of her calorie intake, so I have a role model to aspire to. Since starting to use MFP my level of awareness has improved enormously, not merely focusing on calorie intake but also nutritional values of foods.
    I really enjoy cooking and I really enjoy the science of food, so getting into the nitty gritty is not a chore for me.
    I tried to keep a reasonable amount of control on the type of foods I ate on holiday, whilst allowing myself the odd treat, but always recording everything as accurately as possible. Obviously when you eat in a restaurant there will be educated guesses, but this still helps to keep the mind focused.

ALCOHOL
    I tried to keep away from beer (only had two the whole week). Mostly had wine with soda water, or wine by itself, but really kept consumption down as much as possible. Having finished dry January this did not adversely affect the holiday at all.

CONCLUSION
    I went on holiday weighing 76.4 kgs and I have come back weighing 76.2 kgs. For me that is a great success.
    We had a great holiday, enjoying every element, and I have not arrived back with any regrets.

FUTURE
    I can now continue my goal to lose weight and reveal the 6 pack by the time I am 55:tongue:
  • CherylOMY
    CherylOMY Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great. We're going to Hawaii next summer and I'm already wondering what I'm going to do.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Holidays are a terrifying prospect for me when I'm on a diet and excersise regime. Just the lack of routine and not being able to make my own food, eating at restaurants etc can throw my eating habits out the window. Plus it is a lot harder to find the time and energy to excersise especially in tropical places. I'm happy that my Xmas/New Year holiday and January holiday to my mum's didn't see me gain any weight (and I went hard on the restaurant food/Xmas food and drink), but I sure didn't lose any!

In July I'm going to Phuket Thailand for a week or so for a friend's birthday celebration and that will be a challenge especially not to drink cocktails at the swim-up bar all day. Then in September I'm trekking to Everest Base Camp with my sister for 3 weeks which should hopefully see us both get pretty fit and lose some weight as well.

Cruising is the worst holiday to go on if you're on a diet...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great. We're going to Hawaii next summer and I'm already wondering what I'm going to do.

Good luck!
    I'm just finishing 10 days there and I gave up a couple of days ago. It's the childhood foodz, family stress and mai tais wot dun it.
    Groaaaaan