Wheat Belly diet

Options

Replies

• mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is a major advantage to being Gluten-free. I did it for one week (just couldn't stay the course) and it was the BEST I have felt in my life! My digestive system worked so much better, the belly bloat was gone.. definitely a good thing if you can stick to it. There are lots of other grain type things that are gluten-free and are delicious. Brown rice, GF oats and quinoa.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

the book Wheatbelly is great

Wheat Belly is utter cr@p. It's been debunked by... wait for it... the gluten-free community. Why? Because the moron/charlatan (still not sure which - both, maybe?) took the studies and stated "facts" that were in direct contradiction to the findings.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I went on an elimination diet last year that was insanely difficult and when I started to add things back into my diet, I had a horrible reaction to wheat. Scared the living crud out of me since I'd never had a full on allergic reaction to anything in my life.

I've found that living without wheat hasn't been all that hard especially with the gluten free craze going on right now.

Just out of curiosity, how did you add wheat back in?
  • Ctrum69
    Options

the book Wheatbelly is great

Wheat Belly is utter cr@p. It's been debunked by... wait for it... the gluten-free community. Why? Because the moron/charlatan (still not sure which - both, maybe?) took the studies and stated "facts" that were in direct contradiction to the findings.

Yep. The plural of anecdote is not data.

A book voicing an opinion that does not properly reflect the science it claims to be spreading is not data, it is anecdote.

Dr Oz quoting said book, is not data, it is anecdote.

Someone here quoting Dr Oz.. the same.

That's three anecdotal points.. which still, together, do not equal data.
  • mypersonalfitnessjourney
    Options
    I do a stricter version of the Wheat Belly diet. I eat low-carb and cut out wheat and sugar completely, and it has done WONDERS for my energy, weight, and mood. My cravings and appetite have been drastically reduced, and my depression/anxiety have reversed as a result of my diet. Wheat is POISON, and I only wish it was never in my diet in the first place! I highly recommend reading the book and cutting wheat out of your diet asap. It will change your life for the better!
  • mom2boxerdogs
    mom2boxerdogs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I gave up grain almost a year ago after reading "The Wheat Belly". I haven't been a saint. I have had the hamburger bun on occasion but I will say this will all honesty, when I eat the grain now, my joints start to ache. I bloat up. I mean almost immediately after the meal. I have heard others comment on this. Wheat today is not the wheat that our grandparents ate. Oatmeal and corn are grains, as is rice. Read the book. Do your own experiment in elimination. Time will tell you if it hurts you or not.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Unless you have an intolerance to gluten, there's no reason to stop eating it.

Weight loss = burning more calories than you consume. So if you eat at a reasonable deficit, you will lose weight. Not because of any fad diet.

^^^THIS^^^'

This crap about grains/wheat being "bad" for you has gotta stop. Work out harder, and enjoy life. People for THOUSANDS of years have survived off of grains and wheat as a large staple of their diet. I'm all for eating meats/veggies, but a little (or heck, a LOT) of wheat isn't going to hurt you.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There is no test I'm aware of for lactose intolerance, yet it's accepted as a fact. So why is gluten intolerance blown off as a fad when so many people have adverse effects of consuming gluten? Just because it can't be seen under a microscope does not mean it doesn't exist. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

If you can drink milk without adverse effects, drink milk. If you can't drink milk without adverse effects don't drink milk.
    If you can eat gluten without adverse effects, eat gluten. If you can't eat gluten without adverse effects don't eat gluten.

It's no reason to dismiss someone else's discomfort because another person doesn't experience it and there are no "studies". Studies are often bull**** anyway.

There are 5 separate tests to determine lactose intolerance. Everything from an elimination diet style thing up to an intestinal biopsy. Just as there are tests for gluten intolerance. There is no magic for food intolerances. If you feel like a magic snowflake when you cut out your morning muffin, then by all means go for it, but don't lump yourself in with people who end up in the damn hospital if they breathe too hard near the Mini Wheats.

Also, lactose is a sugar, and not a protein -Ose <<sugar. Lactose intolerance just means you don't produce the enzyme to break the sugar down.

>>>Edit for spelling.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Weight loss = burning more calories than you consume. So if you eat at a reasonable deficit, you will lose weight. Not because of any fad diet.

^^^THIS^^^'

This crap about grains/wheat being "bad" for you has gotta stop. Work out harder, and enjoy life. People for THOUSANDS of years have survived off of grains and wheat as a large staple of their diet. I'm all for eating meats/veggies, but a little (or heck, a LOT) of wheat isn't going to hurt you.

They are bad for some people. This does not mean the are bad for everyone.

Some people have no issues with them. This does not mean nobody does.
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My gf followed it for a while. We determined that some people have a mild intolerance and would benefit, some have celiac's and would beneift, but most people are just fine and wouldn't get anything out of it.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There is no test I'm aware of for lactose intolerance, yet it's accepted as a fact. So why is gluten intolerance blown off as a fad when so many people have adverse effects of consuming gluten? Just because it can't be seen under a microscope does not mean it doesn't exist. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

If you can drink milk without adverse effects, drink milk. If you can't drink milk without adverse effects don't drink milk.
    If you can eat gluten without adverse effects, eat gluten. If you can't eat gluten without adverse effects don't eat gluten.

It's no reason to dismiss someone else's discomfort because another person doesn't experience it and there are no "studies". Studies are often bull**** anyway.

There are 5 separate tests to determine lactose intolerance. Everything from an elimination diet style thing up to an intestinal biopsy. Just as there are tests for gluten intolerance. There is no magic for food intolerances. If you feel like a magic snowflake when you cut out your morning muffin, then by all means go for it, but don't lump yourself in with people who end up in the damn hospital if they breathe too hard near the Mini Wheats.

Also, lactose is a sugar, and not a protein -Ose <<sugar. Lactose intolerance just means you don't produce the enzyme to brake the sugar down.

Thank you for supporting my points. I don't know why people are getting all butthurt and getting their jimmies rustled when other people say they can't tolerate a food component, gluten in this case. Whether it's an -ose or a protein, if you can't handle it, you can't handle it. But if someone stops getting the sharts, mud butt, bloating, inflammation when they stop wheat, and all that starts again if they eat wheat, then it's a pretty sure bet wheat has an adverse effect on them. There will always be fads, bandwagons, fearmongers and gullible people.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    wheat is the devil.....

not all rules apply to all people...I am a low carber so that is where my opinions come from.....works for me...

maybe not you....

so like they say..opinions are like *kitten* ho#@s...everybody has one and they are all different...
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    wheat is the devil.....

not all rules apply to all people...I am a low carber so that is where my opinions come from.....works for me...

maybe not you....

so like they say..opinions are like *kitten* ho#@s...everybody has one and they are all different...

Low Carb is the devil. If I want arrythmia, all I have to do is go low carb.
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The other benefit of making your own bread to see what gluten products affect you is that you control the amount of sugar in it. The sugar content in store bought bread has skyrocketed.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I eat pastas, breads, cereals, and people wanna say that wheat is fattening or more so 'the devil' :laugh: horse *kitten*
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    The other benefit of making your own bread to see what gluten products affect you is that you control the amount of sugar in it. The sugar content in store bought bread has skyrocketed.

Yep. Plus home made bread tastes freakin AWESOME!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Unless there's a medical diagnosis saying you should avoid grain, there's not much of an advantage to doing it. However if you think it will be sustainable, and enjoy it then you can be as successful with it as with anything else. Mind your calories and macros, and pretty much anything will work depending on your goals.

Re: "unless you're medically diagnosed" - That would help if non-Celiac gluten intolerance were diagnosable via blood tests, and if the Celiac tests tested for all of the gluten proteins in grains, not just some of them. It would also help if the people who actually did have Celiac, but presented slightly differently than the (stereo)typical reactions, would be taken seriously by doctors and didn't have to go through half a dozen just to get the blood tests done to begin with. As it stands, somewhere in the range of 90% of the people who have full-blown Celiac remain undiagnosed, and the people with NCGI, even if they do get tested, are told they're fine, and may even be told that it's all in their head...if their doctor even bothers to so much as entertain the idea that their IBS, eczema, RA, Fibro, brain fog, constant sick feeling, etc. might be related to some level of gluten intolerance.

However, NCGI and the less extreme forms of gluten sensitivity, are diagnosed through...*drumroll* eliminating the gluten grains for a while and seeing how you respond to both the removal and the reintroduction. While this would need to be done under the "supervision" of a doctor in order to get a diagnosis, that's not really required to simply see how you feel. "You don't know what you've got, till it's gone," works both ways - the quote talks about not appreciating something positive until you lose it, but it also works in the sense that you don't know how low your quality of life is until you make a change that improves it (drastically, in at least some cases), if you've been living with a sensitivity that you didn't initially know you had. The body's funny about coping with things like that.

Now, while it is correct that going gluten free doesn't "magically" break the CICO rule, it can have other effects, especially if you find you do have some level of sensitivity, and those effects can make it easier to do things like stay in a caloric deficit, or be more active. It's amazing how much better you can do, when you're not inexplicably exhausted, or in pain due to an inflammation disorder, or feel like you have to constantly be in arm's reach of a bathroom.
    There's only one gluten protein. It's called gluten. Glutenin+gliadin+water=gluten.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    I eat pastas, breads, cereals, and people wanna say that wheat is fattening or more so 'the devil' :laugh: horse *kitten*

I think the issue is we got trained as kids to accept wheat in _everything_.

Remember the old "part of a healthy breakfast" ads that showed choco-crunch cereal, eggs, toast, milk, and orange juice? If you take out the choco-crunch cereal it's just as healthy a breakfast, and that cereal is primarily wheat.

We also get sly marketing. "Eat the wrap! It's healthier!".. the wrap usually has more calories in it than the bun.

What's healthier is making informed food choices, and limiting intake to rational levels.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I had to go gluten free after finding out i have a sensitivity to gluten. My doctor recommended I read Wheat Belly, and that pretty much really helped to change my mind about wheat. It honestly hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be, but be prepared as it is a lifestyle change. Wheat is in EVERYTHING and half the time it is so unnecessary. Best of luck!

*headdesk*
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    I had to go gluten free after finding out i have a sensitivity to gluten. My doctor recommended I read Wheat Belly, and that pretty much really helped to change my mind about wheat. It honestly hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be, but be prepared as it is a lifestyle change. Wheat is in EVERYTHING and half the time it is so unnecessary. Best of luck!

*headdesk*

My doctor told me to take up dowsing, get my aura checked, and get a voodoo doll. I feel SO much better now.