Nike+

Options
Hi there - does anyone here use the Nike+ application for ipod (using sensor?) If so, just wondering what your opinions are on it?

Thanks!!

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It is amazing! It shows you how fast your pace is while you are running. Keeps track of how fast you run a mile and lets you know what your fastest mile is. The Nike Free shoes are great too!
  • Jillid71
    Jillid71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting this too- instead of guesstimating how far I have gone and at what pace... thanks for the input~
  • apehead1
    apehead1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Could you explain what you need to get this working. I have the iphone and I see it as an option. I was reading up on it, do you have to buy the special shoes etc?
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You just need to get the Nike Sensor, which is about $30. You don't need the shoes. There are several ways to "attach" it to other shoes. I put mine in an old thin sock and threaded it under my laces. The only problem I had was getting it to work at first. But, now that it's working I love it. It tells you how far you've run, how fast you run, calories burned, and you can run to your own music. Then you can download your runs to the Nike Plus website and keep track of everything.

It only works with certain Apple products though. I think iPhone, iTouch, and iPod Nano. Check to make sure it works with what you have. I would definitely recommend it.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE it... as in, I couldn't live without it! Best $30 I ever spent! :bigsmile:

Oh, and you can get a little pouch that you tie to your laces to attach the chip- mine was $6 online :wink:
  • elzettel
    Options
    I enjoy mine and use it especially when I'm getting ready for a 5K since you can do distance workouts too. You don't need the shoes but if you don't have Nike + shoes you'll need a little pouch or holder for the sensor. You can google it but I bought mine on eBay for less than $5 and I've seen them on overstock.com too. To use it you'll need to purchase the sensor which alone is $19 or thereabouts. If you have an older ipod you'll need to get the sensor and adapter ($29 I think--this plugs into the ipod and "talks" to the sensor). Newer ipods have the adapter deal built in and you just need to go into settings (I think) to turn it on. I just received an email that Nike has a new app for Nike+ that uses GPS--its $1.99. I haven't really had the chance to check it out but it looks neat.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the $1.99 app and it seems to work but I don't have the sensor version to compare it to. I wonder about the calories burned though, it seems kind of low. Then again I do run very slowly.
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!! I was hoping for some good responses so I could justify my spending.

:-)
  • angiereid
    Options
    I downloaded the $1.99 app and it seems to work but I don't have the sensor version to compare it to. I wonder about the calories burned though, it seems kind of low. Then again I do run very slowly.

i also downloaded the app for my i phone i love it i did have the sensor with the shoe before when i had my ipod and i have to say i thought it was great either way, but it's even better i don't have to spend money on a sensor or a shoe to use this application
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options

i also downloaded the app for my i phone i love it i did have the sensor with the shoe before when i had my ipod and i have to say i thought it was great either way, but it's even better i don't have to spend money on a sensor or a shoe to use this application

Ditto this exactly!! I just got an iphone and have only run once with the app versus the senor w/Nano. I wear my HRM too to compare calories, and the sensor/Nano seemed a little more accurate, but I hadn't updated my weight in the HRM so I need to try again and see!
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have since recalculated my speed and distance and can say now that the Nike+ iPod/IPhone app is pretty darn accurate. My low calories burned were indeed because I run so slowly! (At least for now :) )
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For anyone with an iPhone you can also get the Nike+ GPS app that records your route and all other functions that the sensor provides.
  • angiereid
    Options
    you do not need to buy the sensor either, with nike id gps offered on iphone you can run with any shoe you like, for those of us who do not like nike shoes or cannot wear them it works wirelessly with your device just put on your arm or clip on waist and your good to go shows pace time and distance and calories burned and best part its only 1.99