Need some help starting out again...

Options
Long story short, I was working on my life style and then I got pregnant. I stopped counting calories while pregnant but kept with eating better so I only gained 10lbs by the end. I had an 8lb baby so after a few weeks my "pregnancy weight" was gone. I intended to start back up after my daughter was born but between getting used to having 2 young kids and her constantly nursing, I kinda just didn't.

Anyway, she's 6ms old and I got back into it... I joined a local support group and let MFP do my numbers. After about a month things weren't going as well as I had hoped and someone suggested I wasn't eating nearly enough. Gaw, it's so confusing... I used the Tsomething calculator and it's got me at like 2500! It seems like way too much...

In the group, people have been fussing me saying I HAVE to get proper sleep or I won't lose weight... is that true? There is simply no way I'm going to get "proper" sleep, my 6m old still wakes every 2 hrs to nurse. >_< Also, I'm lucky to eat 3 times a day, usually it's more like 2 between dealing with both kids, house chores, errands, or me trying to nap to get a bit of sleep. x-x

Which brings me to another point. We just can't afford for me to be eating so fricken much. I've been eating salads with a bit of extras on it (boiled eggs, chicken, cheese, wheat germ, whatever) or wraps with a lot of veggies and what not... but that's not a lot of calories so I have to eat more. But I'm full and can't afford to eat allll that plus tons more in one day! People tell me to eat fruits/veggies and lean meats so I do but it's just not enough. But I'm warned away things like bread and rice too.

It's so confusing and frustrating, every where I turn I'm told something else! T_T I wish it were as simple as eat as little as possible and lose weight... I know it's not and I know why, but it's wishful thinking lol.

TLDR:
1: How many calories should I be eating? I'm 256lbs at 5'6". I'm a female and a big couch potato. I want to change that but one step at a time.

2: Do I have hope to lose weight without proper sleep and without eating small meals throughout the day?

3: What are some "healthy" high calorie foods that aren't too expensive besides nuts and avocado?

Replies

• Jelise24
    Jelise24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hope someone with more experience answers this for you. I'm just starting out and couldn't begin to tell you what you should be doing...I'm still figuring out what I should be doing. =)

I did want to offer some suggestions for some inexpensive foods that might up your calories though...

Greek yogurt - has a TON of protein and a decent amount of calories for a serving. You can buy a large container at Costco or the grocery store and add in your own stuff (nuts, jams, fruits, honey, etc.)

Beans - add a three-bean salad to your salads, make/buy a hummus dip for veggies, roast them up and eat as a snack

Nut Butters - add peanut/almond butter to an apple or some celery. You can make your own at home or even buy a large jar of natural peanut butter for a pretty decent price at Walmart.

Tuna - add to salads or eat with veggies. Make tuna salad with mayo, EVOO or avocado

Olives - snacks or add to salads

I'm sure there are many more, but that's all I could think of at the moment. Hope more people will chime in! Good luck!

ETA: What about a value pack of lunch meat from Costco or somewhere similar? They have many different options (regular, organic or natural without additives), and it might be something easy to grab when you don't have time to make something.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Jelise gave you some great ideas. You do not have to stay away from bread, rice, potatoes etc unless you must watch your carbs for medical reasons. Just log the items and stay within your goals, which sounds like no problem for you. I believe your calories are so high due to breastfeeding. I started out about the same size, and it had me at 1760 to start out.