10,000 steps a day

Options
So I just started this 10,000 steps a day challenge. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me with...

1) Does walking count as exercise? On days that I don't work, I will be doing most of the walking on the treadmill. I walk about 3.5-4 MPH, at a slight incline.

2) Do you think walking this much will help me continue to lose weight as I have been quite sedentary for the last year or so.

3) Should I change my activity level in the settings to come up with a new caloric burn number?

Replies

• PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Walking, especially at an incline, is a way to help up your calorie burn to loose weight. I walk quite a bit right now and it helps. I have a family member where he can only walk (Back problems makes it so he can't run/jog.). Through walking and watching what he eats, he has lost 40 lbs.

In regards to changing your activity settings, it depends. If you follow through with 10000 steps a day, then it could help in planning your meals for the day as it will calculate in the bigger calorie burn for the day and up the amount of calories you can eat for the desired loss. If you don't change it, or plan on logging the 10000 steps as added exercise for the day, then leave your settings as is.
  • jessieboyd12
    jessieboyd12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Walking is great all around! A man I used to work with walked everyday outside as long as it was nice as well as drank lots of water and he lost almost 100 pounds in less than a year. My mom lives in a trailer park and that is what she done for the longest time and lost almost 100 pounds too! When I don't feel like doing an exercise video because they can get boring, I go outside and just walk around the yard and up and down the driveway.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't have a lot left to lose so I'm not sure if it will do the trick. Maybe I can build myself up to running again. I will start doing the body-weight exercises I just thought one thing at a time. Really, the walking makes me feel better-like I'm accomplishing something. LOL

Yup, I'll just log the walking then I won't have to change any of the settings. Thanks again.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is plenty, I wear a pedometer around work and when I clock up that many steps I feel pretty tired! definitely counts as exercise :bigsmile: