How to make oatmeal filling?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to phase into eating oatmeal for breakfast, after 2 years of eating eggs and toast every morning. This morning I had a bowl of oatmeal with rolled oats, craisins, almonds, and splash of skim milk. Within two hours I was starving.

What are some tips to making oatmeal a bit more filling?

If anyone would like to link me to a recipe they use, please do! I'm so new at the whole mindful-eating thing.

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Butter.
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use plain oats and add cinnamon (lots, cause I LOVE cinnamon), chia seeds, and nuts or a fruit/nut mix. Not that different from your current breakfast but maybe adding something like chia seeds (which do not add much in the way of calories but can add some fiber and make it more filing) might help?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ditch the Craisins and keep the egg (or some other good protein source.) (Or maybe have oatmeal in the evenings, not as a breakfast. Oatmeal does not keep me full, no matter what I do to it.)
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I put a 1/4 cup cottage cheese in after i cook it. Doesnt add much taste but gives some added protein.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do bananas blueberries pecans and whole milk, not skim. And an egg. I bake it in the oven. Brown sugar. It's gooooood
  • ldimicco
    ldimicco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal most days for breakfast these days and add the following:

1 T. ground flaxseed
    1/2 C. frozen blueberries
    1 T. chopped almonds
    1/2 mashed banana
    chopped strawberries (if in season)
    Unsweetened almond milk to get desired consistency
    1 t. brown sugar
    cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Even with all of the above, sometimes I'm hungry less than 3 hours later. I have found eating a yogurt along with it helps stretch out the time before hunger strikes again.
  • jenniferwv87
    jenniferwv87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cook it plain and stir in peanut butter or microwave it with one egg mixed it
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I heard of people putting peanut butter in their oatmeal...it sounded disgusting to me but it is actually *really* good. I usually do a tbsp or two of PB and 1/2 Tbsp of honey....you can also add protein powder to it to make it more filling.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, some whole milk and a cup of berries. You can also add chia or ground flax seeds for more omega 3s and fiber.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal most days for breakfast these days and add the following:

1 T. ground flaxseed
    1/2 C. frozen blueberries
    1 T. chopped almonds
    1/2 mashed banana
    chopped strawberries (if in season)
    Unsweetened almond milk to get desired consistency
    1 t. brown sugar
    cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Even with all of the above, sometimes I'm hungry less than 3 hours later. I have found eating a yogurt along with it helps stretch out the time before hunger strikes again.
    I'm going to have to try this. Yummy!
  • betweenthesedays
    betweenthesedays Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    More oatmeal? A serving is roughly 40g, try 60g plus some chia/flax and blueberries, raspberries, and half of a grapefruit (segments plus the juice). I know some folks either add nut butter or even protein powder.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I cook my steel cut oatmeal over night in the crock pot with a little cinnamon, Chia seeds and dried goji berries. The next morning I add fresh blueberries, strawberries and bananas. Love it.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I add some flax seeds and a spoonful of Nutella. Tastes like a cookie and it really fills me up.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I can't do oatmeal alone or I get hungry soon after. It helps for me if I have a piece of toast with peanut butter too. I put fruit, or brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon, the usuals on my oatmeal.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I try to include oatmeal in my breakfast because water soluble fibre helps reduce cholesterol. My breakfast is mostly protein (fat free yoghurt) with 10g of oatmeal stirred in. I find I need protein for satiation.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to phase into eating oatmeal for breakfast, after 2 years of eating eggs and toast every morning. This morning I had a bowl of oatmeal with rolled oats, craisins, almonds, and splash of skim milk. Within two hours I was starving.

What are some tips to making oatmeal a bit more filling?

If anyone would like to link me to a recipe they use, please do! I'm so new at the whole mindful-eating thing.

Truly? I think it depends on the kind of oats and the amount. And a little bit the add ins...

I don't do that instant can or packet crap unless I'm desperate. Longer cooking oats = better, why? I have no idea. All I can figure is it takes longer for my body to digest it.

I stayed at my mom's for a month following Christmas and i ate oatmeal most mornings. Always with at least half the liquid as whole milk, sometimes all.

I did Cocoa Oats -- Milk, cocoa powder, oats and sometimes a swirl of peanut butter to finish.

Berries and cream -- Milk, frozen raspberries, oats and cinnamon

Bananas and cream -- Milk, smashed banana, oats and splash of vanilla

Faux rice pudding -- Milk, raisins, oats and cinnamon

I eat at least 1.5 to 2 times the "recommended" serving of oats. Depending on the calories of the other add ins.

Your milage may vary...
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Really though, the reason you were starving is there's not much protein or fat there, both of which are far more filling than carbs. Any of the recommendations here that add fat or protein will help.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you aren't GF, you can put some wheatena, farina, wheat germ, oat bran, even quinoa in with the oats when you cook it.

Just account for the caloric load and Glycemic index, if you are tracking that, of the various things you add.

Growing up, it was always quaker oats, cream of wheat, and wheatena mixed together (dry) then boiled with some salt and water, for breakfast.

A dab of butter, a little brown sugar (though the toasted whole wheat of the wheatena adds a lot of "sweet" for me) and a splash of milk made a fine, hot, stick to your ribs cereal.
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cooked like a pancake.
    Mix together half a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, a quarter cup of low-fat cottage cheese, two eggs, and a dash each of vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process in a blender until smooth. You can add in fresh or frozen blueberries or banana slices now if you want, then cook the mixture like a regular pancake.

Another similar recipe: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breakfastbrunch/pancakeswaffles/oatmeal-cottage-cheese-banana-pancakes-for-one/