Losing weight everywhere else but my waist?

Options
Initially my purpose to dieting and doing cardio was just because I wanted to lose the fat on my belly and make my waist smaller.
So far I've lost about 2 pounds but I realized that fat came off from my breasts and my legs, but my waist size has stayed the same and the fat on my belly is still there.

I know you can't target weight loss, but what can I do at this point? Am I just being impatient?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Am I just being impatient?

Yep. The abdominal area is often times the last to go. You've only lost 2lbs, so you need to keep at it.
  • ainokea8
    Options

Yep. The abdominal area is often times the last to go. You've only lost 2lbs, so you need to keep at it.

haha okay yeah, I can see how that sounded silly. Let me clarify at bit. I'm already at a low weight (113 lbs) so a 2 lb weight loss makes a difference. I wanted to diet down to 110 and no further than that because I think I would be becoming incredibly underweight at this point. The thing is, Idk if I'm going to see any waist reduction when I'm only losing 3 more lbs especially when I'm not seeing any after 2 lbs.
  • talenapiantes
    Options
    I find that I lose weight the quickest in my stomach when I reduce/eliminate the sugar carbs - Soda & Alcohol are my biggest culprits. Even if that is the only change I make I notice it in my stomach. And from what I have read, I believe that most peoples belly fat comes from carbs. After that I have to work on building the muscles in my stomach diet alone won't get rid of it.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

haha okay yeah, I can see how that sounded silly. Let me clarify at bit. I'm already at a low weight (113 lbs) so a 2 lb weight loss makes a difference. I wanted to diet down to 110 and no further than that because I think I would be becoming incredibly underweight at this point. The thing is, Idk if I'm going to see any waist reduction when I'm only losing 3 more lbs especially when I'm not seeing any after 2 lbs.

what were you hoping to see from 2lbs of weight loss? you lack muscle so your choices would be skinny with a bit of a belly or even skinnier with no belly but you cannot just lose belly fat
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Start picking up heavy things. Repeatedly.

That is to say... you need to start strength training, if you're not doing it already. If you are, increase your weights. The scale might go up a little bit, but you'll be creating definition and burning more calories overall.

From what I hear time, patience and perseverance are the keys to getting what you want. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options

If you aren't already doing so, strength training does help immensely with body composition. I'm close to goal weight but my waist was still at 30" and I was not happy. I started lifting heavy in Dec and since then my waist is down to 27". Big difference.
  • ainokea8
    Options

what were you hoping to see from 2lbs of weight loss? you lack muscle so your choices would be skinny with a bit of a belly or even skinnier with no belly but you cannot just lose belly fat

I was hoping my waist size would go down, even if it's just half an inch.
  • hilts1969
    Options

and what made you think this would happen, i have lost 37lbs so by your logic i should have lost 9 inches off my waist, bit silly really, noticeable difference from losing 2lbs is nothing, zip ditto

you need to think about this a bit more and decide what you want, getting a flat belly means composing a new body shape, you have to be pretty fit or very young to have a flat stomach
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    perhaps you're not engaging your core as much as you believe you are.
  • ainokea8
    Options

and what made you think this would happen, i have lost 37lbs so by your logic i should have lost 9 inches off my waist, bit silly really, noticeable difference from losing 2lbs is nothing, zip ditto

you need to think about this a bit more and decide what you want, getting a flat belly means composing a new body shape, you have to be pretty fit or very young to have a flat stomach

I'm not sure what your advice actually is other than "you're not going to see anything from losing 2 lbs". I posted this hoping people can suggest some ways I can make some changes.
  • hilts1969
    Options

I'm not sure what your advice actually is other than "you're not going to see anything from losing 2 lbs". I posted this hoping people can suggest some ways I can make some changes.

I think the bit about composing a new body shape was advice, if you thought losing such a small amount of weight which to be honest is so small that it isn't even worth a seconds thought would give you a smaller waistline then in fairness you needed this large black hole in your knowledge spelling out

If you are skinny with a bit of a belly and i am in a similar situation you need to do weights, the quickest way is to bulk then cut your weight or as i am doing just lift as much as you can and progress will be made but at a slower rate

For further advice check out the million topics on MFP and the internet in general
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that's fat?

If you have so little to lose it may just be weakness in the belly muscles.

Remember your abdomen below your rib cage is a bag of soft guts. If the muscles aren't holding them in they will bulge and wobble, whatever your weight.

I have weak muscles there, always have had. Planning to take up Pilates to strengthen them and for overall health.