Skinny-fat what to do???

Options
So I'm a "skinnyfat" person and I would like to lower my BF% especially arounds my abdominal region. So I've been told I need to do strength training/weight lifting. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a gym at the time and don't have weights at home. So I was wondering if I could still lose belly fat if I did cardio+ab exercises + yoga instead. And if so, would I have to be eating at a deficit or maintenance?

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If there is no way you can invest money in either a gym membership or in weights (barbell would be best but dumbbells would do for the moment too) best thing to do is look into a progressive resistant body weight programme.
    I'm no expert in that I'm afraid.. hut I heard good things about convict conditioning. The plans are online

Hard to tell how you should eat without knowing your stats

ETA: you cannot spot reduce, either lose fat everywhere or don't. it'll come off wherever it wants to and tons of cardio+abs will not help in the long run
  • ainokea8
    Options
    If there is no way you can invest money in either a gym membership or in weights (barbell would be best but dumbbells would do for the moment too) best thing to do is look into a progressive resistant body weight programme.
    I'm no expert in that I'm afraid.. hut I heard good things about convict conditioning. The plans are online

I fluctuate between 113-115 lb at 5'5 with a BF% of 25
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cardio+ab exercises+yoga aren't going to do it.

Get a copy of the book and/or download the app for "You are your own gym". It's a strength program that you don't need any special equipment for and it can be done at home.

Side note- whatever you do, don't spend a ton of time doing ab exercises. At best, it's a waste of time and at worst it can actually make your waist bigger under the right conditions. A full body strength program is much better for losing the fat. If you have ab weakness or you want the muscles to pop more, do weighted ab exercises rather than a million crunches.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    With your stats I would not go into a deficit. You don't need to lose weight. As a beginner you can do a lot by just eating at maintenance and progressing in your workout. Your body will get all nice and tight but it will take time
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson has a free progressive resistance body weight program. You do have to sign up, but you can always unsubscribe if you are uninterested. Even if you don't follow the diet its great. It always kills me even though I usually do lift heavy!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/
  • ainokea8
    Options

Actually they are different. In the first topic I was wondering if losing weight = burning fat and people recommended that I do strength training

Therefore I posted the second topic because I was wondering how strength training works. I was confused about it.

and this third topic is now asking if I could susbtitute other exercises for strength training.

I guess I could've asked it all at once, but I didn't think of the other two questions until later. I understand that I have tod o my own research, and trust me I have googled so many pages about it, but I can't help it if I have questions. Isn't that the whole point of this site? That people can help and support one another?
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    try body rock tv and just utube bodyweight exercises.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

Actually they are different. In the first topic I was wondering if losing weight = burning fat and people recommended that I do strength training

Therefore I posted the second topic because I was wondering how strength training works. I was confused about it.

and this third topic is now asking if I could susbtitute other exercises for strength training.

I guess I could've asked it all at once, but I didn't think of the other two questions until later. I understand that I have tod o my own research, and trust me I have googled so many pages about it, but I can't help it if I have questions. Isn't that the whole point of this site? That people can help and support one another?

Yes this is a site for help and support which is why I posted links for you to read.
    Site also has a search feature that will allow you to see if your question has already been posted and addressed.
    edit(sp)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Google/youtube body weight excercises or calesthenics. Typical things such as squats, push ups, plank, sit ups & lunges go a long way.
  • Dubble_A
    Dubble_A Posts: 120
    Options
    I was in the same boat and I made a lot of progress doing pushups, situps, squats, and pullups. You can pick up a pullup bar that goes in your door frame for about 50 bucks. You can get pretty strong and toned just working with your own bodyweight. 1 day on, 2 days off... and do cardio on your off days.

My workouts looked like - 10 sets of 20 pushups. 10 sets of 20 squats. 10 sets of 5 pullups. and finish everything off with 5 sets of 20 situps/crunches.

Good luck to you!
  • law_of_inertia
    Options
    I just needed to point out that 25% body fat is nowhere near "skinnyfat", which is medically defined as having an obese body fat percentage (32% and over for women) while having a normal BMI and comes with a myriad of health problems. Your body fat percentage is completely healthy and actually not far off from the fitness range. It's completely understandable why you'd want to lower it a little if you wanted more definition, but you're not unhealthy and you don't have an obese body fat percentage.

I'm getting frustrated with people incorrectly using the term "skinnyfat" for anyone who isn't perfectly toned.
  • ainokea8
    Options
    I just needed to point out that 25% body fat is nowhere near "skinnyfat", which is medically defined as having an obese body fat percentage (32% and over for women) while having a normal BMI and comes with a myriad of health problems. Your body fat percentage is completely healthy and actually not far off from the fitness range. It's completely understandable why you'd want to lower it a little if you wanted more definition, but you're not unhealthy and you don't have an obese body fat percentage.

I'm getting frustrated with people incorrectly using the term "skinnyfat" for anyone who isn't perfectly toned.
    Sorry I didn't know how else to describe my body type without overgeneralizing. I.e. unfit/out of shape is way too broad. Skinnyfat is the closest term to describing what I mean even if I'm not politically correct.

And thanks to everyone for their help. Especially the Bodyrock.tv link! I checked it out and it's amazing, I definitely will be starting with this next week :)
  • law_of_inertia
    Options

Sorry I didn't know how else to describe my body type without overgeneralizing. I.e. unfit/out of shape is way too broad. Skinnyfat is the closest term to describing what I mean even if I'm not politically correct.

I'm not objecting due to it not being "politically correct" - it just isn't the right term.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I fluctuate between 113-115 lb at 5'5 with a BF% of 25

Ummm, who told you that you were at 25% BF?
  • ainokea8
    Options

I'm not objecting due to it not being "politically correct" - it just isn't the right term.

How else would you describe my body type then without being wordy? Honestly it's just a slang that I used to try to explain the situation I'm in even if it was misused. I'm sure other people didn't think so much into it and generally got the point I was getting at, so no need to be so bothered by it :ohwell:
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Me too! Injuries kept me bed bound for months. I will get there when I do, healing comes first. :)

* sending pic.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about the gym I would walk as much as possible. You can put cans of soup or vegetables in a backpack, go walking for 30 mins and work up a sweat. I use Youtube videos for strength training. Just doing different kinds of push ups and sits is building my muscles. You can find things around your home, such as laundry detergent to use as weights. I stopped paying for a gym because I wasn't using it.
  • ainokea8
    Options
    Instead of worrying about the gym I would walk as much as possible. You can put cans of soup or vegetables in a backpack, go walking for 30 mins and work up a sweat. I use Youtube videos for strength training. Just doing different kinds of push ups and sits is building my muscles. You can find things around your home, such as laundry detergent to use as weights. I stopped paying for a gym because I wasn't using it.

That's genius! The laundry detergents as weights I mean. I've been using jars of jam as dumbbells but it was nowhere near heavy enough. Laundry detergents will work. Thanks for the idea :)
  • jny3030
    Options
    I would figure out what your maintenance calories are and your caloric deficit calories for the day. Try to eat at your caloric deficit for as long as it takes for you to get your body to where you want ( sixpack etc..) and once you hit your goal you need to switch to your maintanance calories other wise your body won't have extra body to use as fuel and you will get super skinny. Cardio and weight training will only help you speed up the process so I would add that into your weekly routine. It's an easy concept however not easy to do and it takes lots of hard work and dedicaton to get there! I hope this helps! cheers!!